SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_frmr

Concept: a co-op artist community / commune

new_frmr
14 years ago

I am 28 and have owned my home for 2 yrs., and I've determined that i hate paying a mortgage! I have to work so much that i have no time for the stuff i really love. My fiancee drives 2.5 - 3 hrs a day to commute to and from work.

All we want to do is grow stuff, be outside, and for me - do my art. This economy, combined with recent food recalls, instability of gas prices, and the mainstreaming of "green" culture, makes me think there are other people out there like me, who want to make a drastic change in the way we live life.

I'm looking at purchasing an old farmhouse on a few acres in N.C. to fix up. My cousin and her hubby have had similar thoughts and are excited about the idea.

I'd like to diversify my future income, with my current work (web design), food produced from our farm, and by renting our land for small cottages, where other like minded artists can live. In the future, it would be nice to make the big, main house into a B&B with a restaurant, and possibly have some commercially zoned cottages facing the main rd for selling preserves, jellies, goats milk cheese, art, sculpture, crafts, etc.

I've found one place that really is the physical embodiment of the dream i've had for years - Serenbe in GA.

http://www.serenbecommunity.com

However, its just SO cost prohibitive for any full time artist to afford! $250k for a quarter or half acre land and no home! I could stay in NJ and buy land at that price right next to the ocean.

The property I'm looking at IS way out there; Greene county, NC. Is it too far for anyone to consider actually joining us? Is the idea too cost prohibitive to attain - ie, red tape to get rezoned, etc? Does this area of NC just possibly have no use for modern day, ex-traders turned hippies?

Comments (16)