SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

tiling adjoining rooms -- in terms of 'flow' ....

kimcoco
12 years ago

We tiled our basement in alternating lt grey/charcoal 12x12 ceramic tiles, and left the bare floor in the laundry room, which is a separate storage/laundry area.

This year, we plan to tile and finish the laundry/storage area:

The room is fairly large, with glass block windows that allow plenty of natural sunlight.

We will be painting the exposed ceiling beams white

The walls will be finished a very light color, as will the rest of the basement. The rest of the basement has white drop ceiling tiles.

In terms of the floor tile, I'm seeking advice:

---Alternating, or solid? How do you decide?

---Do I emulate one of the tile colors in the adjoining room for continuity? Lt grey/charcoal in existing, and black/charcoal tiles in laundry room? OR one solid color in laundry room that mocks one of the existing tiles in the alternating room?

----Will using alternating colors in both rooms be too much, or will carrying a color over compensate for that?

---What are the cons, if any, to having a dark tiled laundry room floor?

---I like the look of clean, white laundry rooms, but I also live in a 1920's tudor style home. Not sure the "scandinavian" look would fly, though this is just a laundry room we're talking about. My thought process is that the light walls and ceiling would offset a darker floor, in which case I'd probably go with the charcoal tiles IF I were to carry in a color from the tiles in the adjoining room. Not that fond of the lt grey we chose, but did so on a budget years back without considering that we would expand into the basement for more living space, so we have to live with what we got. I love the look of charcoal/black alternating tiles, but I'm concerned it might be too "mix-moxy", considering.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Comments (3)