SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
califlower_gw

Things are getting unpleasant in Pleasanton

califlower
16 years ago

I found this forum, and the participants are just too savvy to pass up getting feedback. I'll provide some history, and a link later if needed. We put our home on the market in mid-May. Our goal is to move to Texas so my wife can look after her niece's newborn (and two other kids who we are very close to.) I've got a good job here, and I am trying to convince my company that I can work out of Dallas even though we have no offices there. But I am prepared to "retire", and find a job in Texas. Well, following my instructions, my wife bought a house in Texas in June. We will be driving out with the dogs to unload the pods on Aug. 1. Then I will return to wait out the sale of our house. Our house is on a busy neighborhood street, which is a bad thing, but it also means it gets a lot of drive by exposure. We have had several showings, three open houses, but no offers. We dropped the price a bit, and now have the cheapest cost per sq.ft in the area.

My question: Is the problem the market or is it the price? If it's the price, when our realtor's contract expires in mid-August, should I do the FSBO thing right away at a lower price? Or should I stay with my realtor, or immediately find another. I also think I could keep my Pleasanton house as a rental with only a moderate negative cash flow, but I would have to offer a one year lease to some younger co-workers that would love my house but can't afford to buy it. I realize I put us in a funny situation, but that's our version of thrill seeking these days, so it's OK to scold me, but I'd prefer to hear more instructional feedback.

Comments (19)