SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Home office - follow up on posts

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

We have been renovating building and decorating for going on three years. This time I wanted my whole house done at once in once cohesive style. We are almost there.

Of course, like many have found, a process that you imagine to be pure fun (with just a tinge of guilt over the expense), has really been draining. I have dragged my feet on the last few bits.

Among the last square inches to get decorated is our office. Really, it is a place for DH and I to sit while we are on our laptops. The kids sometimes stroll in for homework help, or we collar them for homework surveillance. IN any event, it is a workhorse of a room and one we spend many hours in, say, surfing GW ...

I was mentally prepared to accept that the office was not going to be too pretty. Some rooms you just need to function and can't tart up very much, kwim? Our printers and other sundries are in the closet, but I really like a file cabinet handy.

The desks are his and hers (mine is white marble left from my kitchen slab, his is grey marble and larger). His is actually my old dining room table from my NYC apartment. The chairs and lamps are his and hers, too. I would like new chairs, but the comfiest ones seem way too mod. (Any ideas??)

In the 10" long "nook" area, I was able to recycle a fair amount. I reused my old sofa from my last kitchen, had bookcases refinished, and found some great framed english hunting aquatints at a charity auction. (thanks for the hanging advice,all).

About the only new thing is the "bookcase". It's supposedly from an old french department store (1st dibs always gives things an inflated provenance to go with their inflated prices). It's not terribly practical but it does help make up for the lack of drawer space when you use tables for desks. I made tea stained labels for it.

The only other thing I bought was window shades, albeit reluctantly as we have beautiful views and total privacy. But glare was an issue. There, I ended up doing one large fabric shade across each double window (I'd posted on that question).

So, here it is, a real room, really used, but prettier than it was!

the "nook"

{{!gwi}}

french dept store shelf

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)