SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fatbaldguy

A follow up to a post from months ago

fatbaldguy
15 years ago

A few months back I asked several questions about Rose gardening as the missus wants one. Technophobe that I am, I don't know how to post photo's, but I wanted to update those that were encouraging, with the progress I've made.

4 forty+ year old arborvitae and 1 20+ year old taxus were removed from the foundation planting bed under the eaves. A bed 6' wide and 28' long was stripped of sod. Over that new bed went 4 cubic yards of stall muckings from the horse stable next door. Over that went 8 inches of chopped leaves. All of that has settled nicely. All hand work. This will all be turned in this spring.

At the drip line of the eaves/gutter will go a white vinyl picket fence for a back-drop. That will leave me with 5+' of bed to plant in.

She wants 3 arbors with 6 climbers, and 6 bush/tea types. I'm beginning to wonder if I have enough room. There have been no concrete decisions made yet as to specific types yet. She is overly concerned I think, with petal count and fragrance.

Any more advice and suggestions as to types would be appreciated. I'm in zone 5b, just 5-10 miles from 6a.

Once the plants are firmly established, I am thinking of underplanting with Cranesbill and Iris.

Comments (16)