SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colmjkenny36

Impatient Newbie follow up- post soil sampling

Colm
14 years ago

Hello,

I posted a link to my previous post below for background. Short story is we started a garden from dead lawn

in June, this is our second planting and everything except the radishes and peas either didn't sprout, or sprouted and stopped growing at 2 small leaves. This was 6 weeks in.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg1122382419888.html?12

Unfortunately, there are no analytical labs in San Diego (that I could find), private, extension, or otherwise. So I went with the qualitative DIY kit. My six beds' pH were 6.5-7.0 or 7.0-7.5, within the ranges for the veggies I'm growing, according to the insert. All beds showed up adequate or surplus for potash and phosphorous, and depleted for nitrogen (I mean, no reaction at all), as most of you predicted.

Today I applied a 4-1-1 liquid fertilizer (fish emulsion).

Some questions:

1) While leaving the plants in place, what is the best way going forward to add nitrogen? I have the fish emulsion (4-1-1) and Dr Earth (5-7-3), and am hoping not to buy anything more.

2) Would the nitrogen depletion affect seed germination? None of the spinach sprouted, and probably 1 in 5 flower and spice seed germinated, same with the chard. Or does this lack of germination suggest another prooblem, or just not proper weather?

Thanks for all your help,

Colm

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets