SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruddman

Has Anyone Done a Complete Chinese Auction?

ruddman
17 years ago

Has anyone sold their home with a no bottom Chinese auction?

For those of you that aren't familiar with the concept, you price the home at its realistic high value and reduce the price by a set amount EVERY DAY until it is sold.

My mother is in poor health and I am the executor of her estate and I plan to sell her home in this manner.

The city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin assessor's office values her home at $241,000.00 and if she passed away tomorrow, I would start the sale in March of 2007 with a beginning price of $265,000.00.

I would reduce the price by $3,000.00 every day with the heirs having the right of first refusal on the eventual amount offered.

All offers to purchase would have to be accompanied with $10,000.00 earnest money which would not be refundable under any (Not even death of the principal as I expect his estate to consumate the offer.) condition if the bidder could/would not complete the transaction. No "WEASEL" ("SUBJECT TO") clauses would be allowed and no creative financing schemes.

My share of the estate is not important to me so there would be no bottom to the sale price. Three thousand dollars per day would be deducted until someone takes the price. No one will be allowed to offer a lower amount as a "hold" until the day that amount becomes valid.

Being one of the heirs, and having the right of first refusal, I would buy the house if the price fell very low and then I would argue for a reduced assessment based on the actual sale price.

I intend to do a lot of local advertising months in advance so that anyone interested in a home in this area has the time to line up financing and home inspectors BEFORE (Again, NO "WEASEL" ("SUBJECT TO")clauses)) they bid on the house.

That means they will have to pay their choice of inspector before they bid which is not normal sales procedure, but again, I don't care how low the price drops to before someone offers to buy it.

Ruudman

Comments (101)

• berniek
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ruudman, you crack me up. Your intellect and IQ is killing me. Weve been waiting for someone like you to show us the right way on this board. However, I think you should look into this NPD thing.

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Berniek:

I did and here are the results:

Cluster A through C do not apply.

Diagnostic Criteria:

Grandoise doesn't apply because what I claim to be I am with no exaggerations.

Fantisies doesn't apply because I know I am physically crippled and living on disability income that I managed to get by presenting over 18 years of medical records which law offices said I would never succeed. The fact that I am handsome and great in general is the truth.

Special, no I don't consider myself special, just superior.

Requires excess admiration, hell CNVH seems to be the one with that trait.

Entitlement, nope, I've had to work, pursue, and fight for everything I had, not sit around waiting for it to come to me.

Takes advantage of: That's a tricky one since if you know more about something and you use it to your advantage, you are quilty of it. Would I have purchased a 10 million dollar in the rough diamond because I knew what it was and the seller who didn't know sold it for $15.00, yes I would have done that. I'll agree to that one as long as you realize I won't lie about somethings value when asked and I know its true value, but if you don't ask, yeh I'll take advantage of you.

Lacks empathy: Hell, I have been my parents care giver directly or indirectly for years without family help. I empathize with those that earned and deserved it, but junkies and self-absorbed individuals get no consideration from me. I have empathy within reasonable bounds, just not for everyone.

Envious, nope, I work for what I want and don't bother thinking others owe me anything.

Arrogant, hell yes, considering I am a Mensa, handsome, smart, and great, of course I am arrogant and deservedly so.

I will admit to two of the traits, arrogant and takes advantage, the empathy one is an individual call and belief but even if I gave you that one, that's only 3 instead of the 5 necessary for NPD and I am not giving you the empathy one.

Don't you feel guilty trying to dissuade the good folks on here from selling their own homes by themselves with the services of a real estate attorney instead of an overpriced realtor?

Ruudman

• Related Discussions

Has anyone seen/done this?

Q

Comments (9)
    Those are pretty. I didn't realize they had so much detail til I looked at the bigger pics. They are all nice but that red one, wow. It says they are approx. 11" sq. so do you think that's a saucer? That's a good idea Beck to make a faux one if you're not set up to do stained glass work. I've thought about that too. Silicone the pcs right onto the sheet of glass. That glass paint even has a black that you can use to look like lead. A few years ago someone posted a picture of something they did, don't remember what it was, but they had filled in areas real thick with the silicone and they kind of swirled it or stippled it to make it look patterned and let it dry like that. Looked real nice.
    ...See More

Toms-Price Complete bedroom suite found at auction

Q

Comments (2)
    Toms Price has been in business from the early 1900's and are still in business today. They do make reproduction furniture now. Sounds like you have enough information to give them a call or send an email. Toms-price is located in Chicago. I don't think antique furniture has metal labels....maybe someone else could say "for sure" about the metal labels. SB
    ...See More

Replacement Silver - Has anyone done this?

Q

Comments (27)
    antiquesilver - The silver belonged to my mother-in-law, and it is called Royal Danish by International Silver. She probably bought it in the 1950's or 1960's. I have my own silver, so after she passed away almost 2 yrs. ago, I didn't think too much about it. My DH is trying to distribute the estate and was thinking of selling it, but then my daughter said that it might be nice to keep it (she just got engaged on New Year's Eve!), so I guess she's thinking of these things now.
    ...See More

Has Anyone Else Ever Done This?

Q

Comments (8)
    There probable isn't mistake I haven't made---and made--and made!! When I make the same one more then once on the same piece I turn off the sewing machine and go do something else. I am making the blocks for "Sylvia's Bridal Quilt" and I don't think I have more then a couple that I haven't ripped out at least once. Not a good time. Fortunately, perfection isn't necessarily one of my big requirements. Jayne
    ...See More
  • taboni
    17 years ago

The one thing I don't understand as a potential buyer is the advantage of the auction scenario. Sure I get the chance to possibly get a property at a discount, but with the heirs (all or any one of them) having the right of first refusal, the chances of me getting a great bargain are significantly reduced.

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

have to tell you, I will not marry you just because you give me so much credit for sneakiness that I do not have. But depending on how well you cook and get along with me, I might be willing to keep you around the house.

A weak gambit that should have been beneath you. But it does go to show how rudimentary is your armament

Strange as it may sound to you, my brothers trust me

Then I would wonder why you find it necessary to come here to hone your arguments against anticipated objections. Perhaps you are not as confident as you would like to suggest to yourself.

You neglected all that information about this procedure being geared for the benefit of the heirs and ease of execution, instead you look for "conspirecies of hate" to make my methods seem other than what they are.

I neglected nothing. When faced with such badly conceived and contradictory sentiments as you have expressed one cannot help but read between the lines.

You must be a professional investor, real estate agent, or realtor hoping to make me and my methods look so evil that other home owners will not try "For Sale by Owner" approachs.

You are so far off the mark that it is clear your baseless paranoia will likely be your Achilles heal. Such a trait is too easy to manipulate.

when I sold cars for a living.

As much as I hate to sink to base stereotyping...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It is like trying not to laugh at a piece of slapstick

(sigh) and I had hoped for so much better than to find you so easily dispatched.

• ravlegend
    17 years ago

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but you're by-passing the conventional RE process because you wanted to save about $15k? (6% of $265K as basic) or mayeb even $7.5K if FSBO (3%)?

How many days is that on this proposed auction for you to come down to this level w/o paying a RE commission? 3 to 5 days?
    All the while limiting your buyer pool while exposing them to the "first right to refuse" clause, and the appraisal/inspection potential issues.

I'll say you're exposing yourself to too many legal ramifications with this said sale .

BTW - I didn't most of us are RE investors on this board. :)

• marge727
    17 years ago

Are you really just outlining the plot for a new Reality series? Sort of like "Jethro goes to Probate Court" because I have never heard so much nonsense in my life.

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Why is it Mensa members fare so badly on these boards?...

So Ruddman, did you also have 15 points to spare? And we know that since you're so gifted, you must also be highly sensitive...

Bully stick, anyone?

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Taboni:

You are correct.

If you have read the entire thread, you know I have stated that the process is geared for the benefit of the heirs, all of them, and for a speedy end. My brothers will be better served if they have any money in their hands as soon as possible than to be dangling from the rope of a realtor who promised them a high return just to get the listing. Besides with my mothers great genes she may outlive all of her sons.

If the house is not picked up by someone at the opening price, the sale WILL CONTINUE unitil the house is sold. Go to a house you currently love, close your eyes and think of it being priced at the high end of the market which you wouldn't pay for it. Now that house could be bought for $90,000.00 less in thirty days if you wait for the price to keep dropping. But Wait, you are smart enough to know a lot of people would be willing to buy the house you like after thirty days, so you will bid after twenty five days. But wait, a lot of people may be willing to buy YOUR HOUSE (Your mind has suddenly made it personal, your house.) after twenty five days. How dare they try to steal your house before you place a bid at twenty five days. Finally it becomes; "GET AWAY YOU B---RADS!, this is the house I deserve and you bid after three days.

Not everyone that is interested will react this way. Just remember I only need ONE qualified person to react this way to sell it quickly.

You, I, and others on this thread are dealing strictly with cold opinions on what is right, wrong, will work, won't work and then there is Dianemargaret who seems to have developed some sort of facination with me.

In the real world, people that may be interested in this house and want to live in this neighborhood, it will start as a business action but I am counting on it turning into an anxiety packed desire.

The investors, price point shoppers, realtors, and opportunists will not be interested unless it falls within the price parameters they feel are appropriate for this property. Even they will have to get in early with any inspections because unless they have the cash on hand, their inspections may not arrive in time to buy the house if it reachs their price point.

Dianemargaret:

Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

The movie "Carrie" was on last night and it made you come to mind as I was watching.

If you fly down to meet me, please be advised you will have to pay for your own rental car and lodgings.

Say what you will about car salesman, but we get good at our trade by the constant daily exposure to resistance and rejection.

I hope you don't use large amounts of perfume or heavy applications of lipstick. Last woman I tried to kiss with a heavy application of lipstick, I slipped off her lips and ended up planting them on the waiter standing next to her. It wouldn't have been so bad if the guy hadn't got excited and asked me for a date. I had to break his heart and say no, I'm straight, it was a cosmetic malfunction.

Ravlegend:

If you read the entire thread, you will see that I believe I will save more money and get to keep more for the heirs, but it is speed of conclusion and not having to put up with the wait and restrictions of signing on with some realtor for X number of months.

Professional investors use the extended waits created by having the seller remove the process of selling while their inspectors do their job and submit their reports. If a professional gets involved in this process, he better have his ducks in a row in case the house comes down to his price point. If he doesn't, he loses. If he does he wins.

I honestly do not believe the house will still be dropping in price once it reaches the midpoint of the market for this property. It may even go to the low end of the market for this property, but there will be a lot of people hoping it will keep dropping $3,000.00 per day for a long time and their presence in the process will help to drive the anxiety up of those that want the house and the area for their own, not for flipping.

Marge727:

Naw, I am a better shot than Jethro, and I am definitely a superior sniper than that FBI sniper that shot a woman to death that was holding a baby at Ruby Ridge.

Ruudman

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sweeby:

If you research the history of Mensa's, you will find the following:

They do not become movers and shakers primarily because they refuse to brown nose.

They tend to not become overly wealthy but usually fare better than the average person.

They are hard sells and sometimes because of their skepticism they do miss out on good deals.

They have less physical and emotional illnesses in their families.

Their children tend to be happier.

Their marriages tend to last longer.

They tend to live longer.

They are not easily conned, which is probably why they are so poorly thought of on these boards and "do so poorly" on these boards.

Lost me on the 15 points thing, please explain.

Naw, I'm not sensitive or Dianemargaret would have broken me by now.

"Bully stick anyone"---------not familiar with that one, please explain.

Thanks.

Ruudman

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Sorry Ruddman -- GW inside humor. I imagine some of the other longtimers will recognize the reference, but just to clarify, I posted the link below. This thread had just started to remind me of one on another forum where things started to go sideways...

FWIW, your Mensa statistics actually do make sense to me, unlike Tessy's (see link) outlandish claims. IMO, high intelligence is beneficial up to a point; and beyond that point, it ceases to be an advantage and can start to cause problems relating to others on common ground.

• greg_h
    17 years ago

Ruddman,

You say that you want to sell this house quickly, but you are willing to advertise your auction for 7 months beforehand? Don't you think you could sell it quicker than that by the conventional method? Especially if the eventual selling price isn't that important to you?

Greg

• mfbenson
    17 years ago

"Sweeby:
    If you research the history of Mensa's, you will find the following:"

They don't know the difference between Chinese Auctions and Dutch Auctions.

Just kidding, but intelligence is in the eye of the beholder, and not in a membership card.

• terezosa / terriks
    17 years ago

They also don't know how to spell or where to use an apostrophe.

• kellyeng
    17 years ago

"Marge727:

Naw, I am a better shot than Jethro, and I am definitely a superior sniper than that FBI sniper that shot a woman to death that was holding a baby at Ruby Ridge.

Ruudman"

I've been following this thread with much amusement until I read the above quote from Ruudman. That sounds very threatening & just plain psychotic.

• ravlegend
    17 years ago

They also tend to have a long follow up post reply and ...
    believed most readership of an online homeselling forum are graduates of Carlton Sheet University.

Oops - have to go, gotta grab my money elsewhere on the forum...

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

Say what you will about car salesman, but we get good at our trade by the constant daily exposure to resistance and rejection.

Then let me congratulate you on having far outstripped your fellow salesmen. You are not only good at facing it, you go out of your way to court it. And with such success.

It is a little disturbing that you have progressed from willfully misunderstanding my sarcasm to daydreams and fantasies. But such is your stock in trade.

greg h writes:

You say that you want to sell this house quickly, but you are willing to advertise your auction for 7 months beforehand? Don't you think you could sell it quicker than that by the conventional method? Especially if the eventual selling price isn't that important to you?

Yes, This is but one of his contradictions.

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sweeby:

Don't know if you are aware of it, but they make walking canes out of bulls penis's.

Tessyt definitely takes the Mensa thing too far in her/his life. At least with me, you should be able to get a good laugh at my expense with some of the obviously overboard stuff I post. The Dutch Auction thing is really intended.

Gina W on that thread needs to have someone take the knots out of her shorts considering her virulent response to Tessyt.

By the by, I didn't score as high as Tessyt claims and you all know by now I am not as "sensitive".

You would be amazed how easy I am to get along with in person, but I just can't help pushing buttons when people get uptight around me. I like to laugh a lot and I have been getting a lot of laughs out of this thread.

Greg H:

The actual selling process doesn't start until I have people viewing the house and responding to their questions.

The long advertising lead-in is designed to give principals a chance to do some through research into what will be offered at a future date.

Ain't nobody gonna be allowed to bother me personally except on the days I give them.

Mfbenson:

Hey, I never in any part of this post or any post have stated or considered myself perfect or all knowledgable.

Everybody that appears on "Jeopardy" or does crossword puzzles scares the hell out of me with their knowledge.

IQ merely measures potential to learn, not ability in all things. It is rumored that Einstein had trouble making change, but the man was brilliant.

Terriks:

Please see the above response to Mfbenson.

I'll still be cute tomorrow and you'll still be Terriks.

Kellyeng:

Oh grow up and get a grip. I relate to Jethro on the old Beverly Hill Billies as an outdoorsman who used to participate in blood sports before my knees went South on me.

I just pop in the excesses of what are supposed to be intelligent government representatives every chance I get. Like the recent Federal prison guard that shot an FBI agent that was trying to arrest him, the Ruby Ridge incident, the Kent State University shootings, and the mad excesses at Wacko, Texas where American citizens died when they shouldn't have.

I would have rather been fired than to have done things like that to Americans on American soil.

Now go unlock your doors or you will really piss Jason (Halloween.) off if he has to break them in.

Ravlegend:

Yeah, gottat make that bacon while the sun shines.

I can't believe Carlton Sheets is still pulling in enough people with his spiel for 21 years to pay for all the airtime he buys.

Now we got Russ ?Whitaker? doing it on an extended basis.

Dianemargaret:

Misunderstanding your sarcasm?

Are you saying you really believe I want you to fly up and see me?

Boy, and I thought I had a huge ego!

Chill out, I'm sure you are better looking than Sissy Spacek in "Carrie" and I would hope not as skinny.

I would tell you what they say about skinny women up here, but it might shut down the thread.

It's been fun folks, but I am spending way too much time in front of the computer playing when I have a whole lot of paperwork to do that I can only do when my mother is resting.

Take care all!

Ruudman

• housenewbie
    17 years ago

sweeby--

Snort and ROTFLMAO!!!

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

I was waiting to see the responses before posting. I'm half afraid to write this, but what the heck. Given the assumption that Ruudman's mom's house was in a location I stronly desired and his beginning price was acceptable to me, I would be willing to be a buyer.

We buy or sell something on the average of every two years. Because of that, our finances are always in order. We know the laws of our state and municipality (even though people assume everything is like in their area). We are experienced sellers and buyers here and I watch my local market.

We have a couple of older areas in town in which homes sell immediately, sometimes with bidding wars. It is now slowing down and instead of 3 days on the market, some homes are not selling for three weeks. When we purchased our current home, we looked at it within hours of being listed on MLS, felt like we had to decide on the offer right then and there and we had a signed contract within 24 hours of the house being listed. It was an "as is" sale, which isn't unusual in fast moving property areas. But there wasn't much time to think anything over. Like 5 min. in the driveway with our agent.

Under Ruudman's rules, I could look at the property well in advance. HI rules do vary by state, and in our state you can have any number of people inspect, but it must all be at the same time. We don't look for turn-key property so I know a good group of tradesmen who I rely on for advice. They have visited numerous properties with me. They all have a good eye and can quickly spot potential problems, come up with solutions and estimated costs.

We don't need a contingency or have to sell our current home first. We can get the funding we need (again, I wouldn't be interested if it wasn't a realistic price range for me.) Since we would be putting a decent amount down, the appraisal price wouldn't matter to me. We would make up the difference. I'm assuming the $10,000 applies to the costs, like any other escrow money. If not, then that would be a problem. I'm also assuming that if one of the other heirs takes their right to refusal, then I'm not out anything except my time.

Otherwise, I see it as giving me an advantage to really think through the price and the house (again, assuming it's a fast moving market). If it's a slower market, I would decide exactly how much I would be willing to pay and if someone beat me out by one day, then that's just the way it would be. With our current house, between the time I called our agent and when we got in the house (6 hours), I was online checking the tax database, Dept. of Natural Resources, the online survey, etc. because I knew we would have to jump immediately if we did want the property. We were sitting with an offer written on a house one street over and if this home wouldn't work we had to get that offer delivered ASAP.

This situation would allow time for checking everything out. It will limit the pool of buyers, but that pool is limited in a hot market anyway. I really think it would have been less pressure than we were under when we purchased our home. We felt like we had to jump as well as overpay. That was the tradeoff for the location.

It's still a sale, and Ruudman will have to follow allow of the laws in his state. In my state, I can see that it would be to the advantage of the buyer.

Gloria

• happyintexas
    17 years ago

I have been to the bloody estate wars with a brother I once trusted and loved. I have a file full of correspondence that sounds just like what is being spewed here. I can assure you this estate will be tied up in court for decades at the rate you are going.

To anyone reading this: two things. It is my humble, but experienced opinion, that no one who will grieve for you needs to be your executor. Too many emotions and too much power. Find a neutral and trustworthy attorney or financial planner to carry out not only the words of your will, but the intention behind those words.

Just because something is *legal* doesn't make it right. It is my observation in my five decades of living that what you give out to the universe will returned to you in by the bucketful.

After three years of ugliness the estate was finally settled. (There are many details I'm leaving out, of course.) After an additional SEVEN YEARS of silence, my brother came to me, in tears, with an apology.

Mine is not the only estate story like this. All too common. I hate to see any family, no matter how functional or dysfunctional, go through this kind of hurt.

• lorrainebecker
    17 years ago

ruddman,
    If you're going to advertise for something like seven months in advance of your auction - does that mean that after your mother passes away the house will sit empty for seven months? Or will you be advertising and having open houses in advance while your mother is still living there?

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Quitglo:

The starting price would be the high end of a proper assessment with a $3,000.00 daily reduction in price until it is sold.

If multiple offers to buy come in on the same day, the one that had their earnest locked up the soonest would be considered first and so on down. Example: If you deposit the earnest money the first day of the Dutch auction but do not plan to bid until 20 days have passed and $60,000.00 has been removed from the original price, you stand the best chance of being the winning bidder if others jump in after 20 days but didn't put in the earnest money until later.

Your bid would not be automatically entered on the 20th day and you would still have to show up on that day with a proper "Offer To Purchase".

Anyone else who felt they wanted the house so badly that they were willing to up the price on that day would be refused. Interested parties WILL ABIDE BY THE RULES and pompous people who want bull their way in with their money will be ignored.

GOOD GRIEF, OF COURSE THE EARNEST MONEY is applied to the purchase price. I have never heard of what your question seems to be implying.

You can withdraw your earnest money from the process at any point as long as you have not submitted an Offer To Purchase at the amount set for the day that meets your price point.

Not only will I have to follow the laws of Wisconsin as regards home sales, but I will also be under the scrutiny of the probate courts who will want to be sure I carry out my fudiciary duties properly and not adversely lose reasonable profit due the heirs. Since the division is equal to all the sons, there are no variables.

So far, you seem to be the only one that understands the advantages to the buyer in this scenerio. The advantages to me are less stress and not having to deal with meglomaniacs, penniless dreamers, and Carlton Sheets idiots.

HappyinTexas:

Your constant harping seems to indicate that you have residual bitterness from your experience.

No single heir in my scenerio makes out better than anyone else and the home will definitely sell for a good price because of the advance notice and hard headed attitude I am taking in the process.

Like I said before, my brothers trust me because of the way I have lived my life and if the house starts to go to a price level they feel is cheap, they can buy it easily because right off the bat, they have a 25% stake in the house. If the price falls to $200,000.00, any one of the four heirs has to come up with only $150,000.00 to buy the house for themselves.

You are not going to solve your issues by telling me I am going to allianate my brothers with the sale of the house. You need help you are not going to find on this thread for your own peace of mind.

Good luck with that!

Lorrainebecker:

I will be living in the house, disposing of personal effects, furniture, belongings, and doing or having repairs done.

Naturally, I will have to keep it insured, property taxes paid up to date, and utilities paid.

The house will be basically empty except for one room when I start having "showings" which will be escorted and very short. THERE WILL BE NO GENERAL OPEN HOUSES!

I am not going to allow dreamers to spend endless time walking around unescorted or junkies hoping to find narcotics in the bathrooms.

Anyone who wants a licensed, bonded, insured building inspector to puruse the property can have the inspectors come on days that will be for inspectors only and the inspector can spend as much time as they need to check out the property, but no more than five hours per day.

Nothing happens until my mother has passed away and everything assumes that Title 19 does not have some sort of priority claim on her property. She receives Title 19 benefits and I have to abide by the rules they have established as regards her property which they may have a lein on.

Ruudman

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

"GOOD GRIEF, OF COURSE THE EARNEST MONEY is applied to the purchase price. I have never heard of what your question seems to be implying."

You don't have to yell. What I'm implying is that this wasn't clearly addressed and since even if I fall over dead you will expect my heirs to follow through with the sale, then I'm taking NOTHING for granted.

I thought that I was clear that I would pick my price and bid on the day that priced would be reached, with the understanding that someone else might be willing to bid on the day before.

The real problem I see here is that your demeanor is unpleasant and I would probably not want to buy your home after meeting you. I was the only person on this forum who would even be willing to consider this and you just had to be nasty. That's really a shame.

Gloria

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Quiltglo:

If and when my parents home goes up for sale, and if I am alive and doing the selling, the sale is going to be about a product for a price under certain conditions.

I am not a real estate agent nor am I likely to live long enough to sell another house to anyone.

I want people who are focused on the product and who will be treated the same as anyone else on the product in question and the terms under which it is sold.

I don't want to develop any drinking buddies, intimate consorts, or future customers if and when I do the sale.

Those that understand this will be treated the same as all others who are interested and choose to participate.

Those that want bedroom eyes and false contrived heartfelt concerns for their participation can go to a real estate agent and have the agent baby talk them into feeling good about what they as a buyer are doing.

If someones ego is so fragile that they place my personality over what they are supposed to be after (The house at their set price point.), I don't care as I will lose nothing because there will be those that understand and will conduct business based on keeping their eye on the prize and not on getting their fanny stroked.

You sounded so strong, positive, and professional until this latest post. Once you sit down and think about it for a while, maybe you will understand and maybe you won't.

Thanks for the response.

Ruudman

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Ruddman, Ruddman, Ruddman, where to begin?

First, I think your pricing is unrealistic (the market has really slowed). You said a neighbor sold quickly for 169,900 and your house is 50% larger - but I doubt that will get you the extra 100k you are anticipating. Not in that neighborhood. Maybe right on the parkway, or with acreage, or for a very special, mint, updated property with spanking new granite kitchen and baths....maybe.

Second, your "scheme" is just plain nutty. Milwaukee is a pretty conservative community and I doubt folks will get into the frantic lather you expect. Your contentious attitude and rigid terms will quickly put off any buyers who do appear. Just as you have alienated folks here.

Last, do you think nobody in Milwaukee is reading any of this? Your conniving and hostile remarks are now permanently displayed for everyone to see (and pass along). Tsk, tsk. Such bad judgment for a smart guy.

Far from narcissistic, you sound like you are skidding toward excitable, paranoid (untrusting and controlling), hyperverbal and grandiose. As in hypomanic perhaps? All argumentative, not seeing things as clearly as you could, or moderating your behavior as you should. Might be important to watch your sleep and reel in your ranting and scheming a bit. Get a grip. Let's not meet up on Watertown Plank Road, OK?

• jlhug
    17 years ago

"If multiple offers to buy come in on the same day, the one that had their earnest locked up the soonest would be considered first and so on down. Example: If you deposit the earnest money the first day of the Dutch auction but do not plan to bid until 20 days have passed and $60,000.00 has been removed from the original price, you stand the best chance of being the winning bidder if others jump in after 20 days but didn't put in the earnest money until later."

One more question raised by this comment in the OP's most recent post. Are you expecting potential bidders to deposit $10,000 with you before they bid, just in case they bid? If they do, are you going to pay interest on their money? Are you going to put the money in an escrow account? Or are you going to hold their check without depositing it?

I can't remember whether or not this was discussed before, but I think you need to verify with an attorney that you can force an estate to complete the purchase if the person who signed the contract has passed away.

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Celticmoon:

If you can do those Irish dances, I like you already.

If you have been following this entire post, I think you should have seen the part where; I know the Milwaukee market has slowed, I don't think my parents house will get a premium price but will get more than the former neighbors house, and I don't care how low the price goes before the house sells.

I do not and have never believed that this method of selling is going to turn everyone who hears about it into a spendthrift. I only need one person to get excited about it.

There is nothing conniving about the process. The very fact that I am telling everyone reading these posts that I am depending on a certain aspect of human nature to take over and skew good business sense will allow anyone interested to take all the valium they want if they feel they might fall victim to the anxiety aspect.

Argumentive!?

Heavens no; the procedures and rules will be set and if you don't like any of them, you simply do not participate. That is very easy to do in the early stages with the starting price at its upper peak. You will probably feel pretty bad if the price falls to a level you would have been willing o pay and you end up losing to someone that took it one day before you or who bid the same day you did but had their earnest money submitted days before you did.

If you like the house and you like the neighborhood, why in the world do you have to like me if you can buy it at the price you want?

I'm in the 3450 block of South 88th Street. Bring a fresh dated 12 pack of 12 oz glass bottles of regular (If I ever want a light beer, I'll pour my own water into the bottle.) Blatz (Cold so we can have a few right away.) and we can sit down for a while for a heart (You) to heartless (Me with other than my family and friends.) discussion. There's a white Ford E150 in the driveway.

Those beers are just to let you visit and drink one with me in the front driveway. You will not get a tour, inside or outside, of the place for the beers.

Jlhug:

If they want to put the earnest money up front way before they bid, it will go into an escrow account and no interest will be paid.

If they don't put the earnest money up until they are at the price they are willing to offer, their offer will not be considered valid until the earnest monies existance is certified by my banking institution handling the proceeds.

Quite simply the process continues and they can actually lose the bid process if it takes one or more days to confirm the receipt of thier earnest money and someone who bids later and less has their earnest money deposit confirmed sooner. It would be a real kick in the teeth to have someone buy the house for thousands less because the existance of your earnest money was not confirmable by my banking institution but the other parties was confirmed.

For this reason, I will always recommend wire transfers from established banking entities so that my bank does not have any problems determinig that the earnest money exists.

Those that put their earnest money up days before they bid should not have to worry because their earnest money deposit should be confirmed by the time they finally bid.

Checks, money orders, and even some wire transfers are too easy to fake these days so I have no intention of holding anyones check.

I am not going to "force" anyones estate to close on the transaction if the principal dies. The earnest money will belong to my mothers estate if the dead principals heirs and estate does not follow through on time and the $10,000.00 will be discounted from the price the next successful bidder offers. If the terms are not acceptable, don't participate.

Celticmoon, if you don't have the fresh dated cold beers when you come to the door, I will charge you with criminal trespass. If you bring others with you, it is 12 fresh dated cold 12 oz Blatz per person to come on the property with no tour or bathroom privileges.

Ruudman

• terezosa / terriks
    17 years ago

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Terriks:

When you wake up, as per my post to you on July 12, I'm still cute, and you are still Terriks.

Yawwwwwnnnnn!

Ruudman

• linley1
    17 years ago

I have been following this thread for some time and am genuinely trying to understand where the advantage lies in your method over a tradional one-day auction. If you want minimum fuss, it seems like a one-day "as is" auction would be faster and attract more serious bidders as it is more conventional and well understood.

Also, you stated several times above that you don't care how low the price goes. This is a very rare sentiment indeed by a seller and seems to be counter to the best interests of both yourself and the other heirs. If you're really not interested in achieving top dollar for the house, it seems like your method still requires more effort and inconvenience on your part than a tradional auction. Or why not just set the sale price at a good level below market and use a realtor? You may attract a quick sale this way and the realtor handles all the transactional stuff (showings, inspections)for you.

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

Then you haven't been reading. The point and purpose of the whole exercise is so Ruddman can delude himself that he is responsible for making people squirm. He has been very clear that the buyers he is hoping to attract are those whose emotions override their business sense and would sacrifice everything, even profit, for this petty satisfaction.

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

The irony is that when you recognize this it becomes clear that it is in fact Ruddman who is sacrificing sound business sense to his emotions.

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Gee, Ruddman, you had me at 'Blatz'.

Then you had to go spoil it by denying me potty privileges and threatening me with criminal trespass....

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linely1:

What Dianemargret said in her first post after you is entirely correct about my reasoning.

As to why I don't have a one day flat out as-is auction, her answer applies to that also. The people that can afford on the spot auctions will usually be well heeled, cold blooded investor types. I have been to quite a few Sheriffs auctions in Milwaukee County and I know the type of people that come to Sheriff's auctions.

The people I want are those looking for a nice home in a nice neighborhood but usually end up being shut out by the more monetarily advantaged.

With the advance notice I will be giving about when the process will start, the people looking for a home and not a property to flip will be able to have several months to make themselves more viable to secure funding to make the bid at whatever level they and their bank feel the property is worth.

These people who want the home for themselves are not going to be cold blooded because this is something they want for themselves, their family, and their future. These people will pay more for the property because they intend to keep it and not use it as an income property or a quick profit flip.

Because the purchase is so personal to them, they will end up having their emotions tied up in the purchase. The best part of this for the wannabe homeowner is what Quiltglo said in her first post. They will have all that advance time to review the home, the process, financing, input from friends, family, lawyers, and the internet.

When the day comes that the bidding starts, there will be more potential homeowners who have prequalified themselves and will know from the get go what is available and under what conditions than there would be if an ad suddenly appeared of a house for sale.

Those are the people I want bidding on it, not investors.

Celticmoon:

Aw come on now, admit it, it's not about the beer. You just don't have the money to buy gas for your moped to drive up here. If you can't afford the gas for your moped, you probably can't afford the beer, and you will never be able to afford the house.

If you really live in Milwaukee, you should know what the quality of the neighborhood at 3450 South 88th Street is like. I'll bet there are people reading this thread right now who would mail you gas and beer money just to see if I am blowing smoke or if all is what I claim it to be.

Sorry, had to put the criminal trespass without beer in or you could have claimed a defacto invitation. As for the bathroom privileges, bring a plastic milk carton with you and if you need a larger opening due to poor aim, I have an oil funnel you can put in the plastic bottle.

Ruudman

• clg7067
    17 years ago

BLATZ? Did I hear correctly? Wow, I haven't had that in years, didn't know they still made it.

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

What Dianemargret said in her first post after you is entirely correct about my reasoning.

I applaud your attempt to turn my indictment against your twisted psyche into an altruistic seeming motivation. Almost (but not quite) glosses over the truth found in sentences like these;

If you think you know stress from trying to sell your house after 10 days on the market, think about what anyone who is interested in a house will go through because they hope it will stay in the market for "one more day" in order to reach a price they feel it is worth.

I love emotional people in business situations as they will always collapse to their own disadvantage and sometimes to my advantage.

So which is it really? Do you hope that the home goes cheaply to a person who will love the house that is an extention of your Mom?

Or are you hoping to watch people squirm at your bidding (pardon the pun)

• mfbenson
    17 years ago

"If you really live in Milwaukee, you should know what the quality of the neighborhood at 3450 South 88th Street is like."

Don't have to. According to zillow (an admittedly flawed information source) that address doesn't exist. But they do have a 3454 S 88th St for $135,600 and a 3448 S 88th St for $151,800.

"Its not how smart I say I am that matters. The important part is how smart everyone else says I am." - Me.

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

In all fairness there is a house nearby on realtor.com that sold for $240,000.

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clg7067:

Some of us old timers still suck the good stuff. Real Blatz beer.

Dianemargaret:

You know very well the intent of any and all home sellers is to get the most money for the property possible.

I do not claim alturism. I am giving people the advance notice and long lead time for my and the heirs benefits.

The long lead time will help give wannabe home owners a chance to get into the process if they wish, but what they are willing to pay will still be influenced by any emotions driving the purchase.

No two ways about it, I am banking on emotions and anxiety, but no one is being forced to participate or get emotional, that will be the buyers doing if they do get emotional, not mine.

Mfbenson:

The 3450 block is a mid-block East-West street that does not extend East and West to major North-South streets. I gave that number as the neighborhood the house is in, not the address of the house in question.

If Celticmoon can come up with the money for gas for the moped and beer, the white E150 van parked in the driveway will give him the exact address.

Your figures from Zillow are not only lowballing values of prices paid, but don't even come up to City of Milwaukee assessment values.

Ruudman

• mfbenson
    17 years ago

Ok, realtor.com has 99 listings in that zip code. They start at $104,700 (asking, for 990 sq ft), the median is $174,900 (asking, for 1075 sq ft), and the high listing is $369,900 (asking, for 2908 sq ft)

Well, everythings over $100/sq ft, so it can't really be that bad of a neighborhood. Most of the houses were built in the early 60's, and I wouldn't imagine they'd be worth that much. I guess housing is not as plentiful there as it is here.

• sue36
    17 years ago

Ruudman,

I really think you should consult an estate attorney. I know the money gained from the sale doesn't matter to you, but your fiduciary duty as the executor requires that you get the best price possible, not the quickest sale with the least amount of inconvenience for you. Your brothers may not care, but what if one of them dies between the time you start the sale process and finish it? You may then be dealing with 1 or several nieces/nephews and/or spouse who may not feel the way your brother did. If it works for you, then great. But if something goes wrong you could end up giving the estate assets to an attorney (exactly where you don't want money going, right?) to handle the mess.

Also, the heirs having the right of first refusal does not solve the fiduciary issue. An heir is not required to buy up an estate asset to protect his/her interests. It is the responsbility of the executor to do that. I know you say that they know about this, etc., but it doesn't matter. Try to imagine if the situation was reversed: your wealthier brother decided to ok a low-ball sale, but said you can buy it to protect your fair 1/4 share. You can't afford that, right? So your assets are effectively wasted.

I really don't see how you are lessening the aggravation factor of selling. If you allow potential buyers to inspect the house ahead of time, you could end up getting a lot of people that will check it out just in case it drops to their price point, but won't "bid" at the higher levels (the level I am assuming you and your brothers hope for). You might end up with a lot of looky-loo bargain hunters checking the place out. I know you are only allowing it on scheduled days, etc., but it still seems like just as much work as FSBO.

You may not care about my advice, but I am going to give it anyway (occupational hazard, I'm a lawyer). I would list it FSBO, offer 3% to co-brokers and price it competitively. I don't know your market, but in my market that price point would be in the "starter home" category (nothing wrong with that), and you might find that your target audience is not experienced enough with real estate to be willing to try something so unusual. You could end up with the bargain hunters (the professional flippers, etc.). I really think you would do better with FSBO.

As far as the pre-paid burials go, just make sure that is covered in the will. Otherwise, you cannot spend estate assets to do that.

I am the executor of my father's estate, and I know it will be a royal pain to deal with it when the time comes (which, I hope, is a long way off, knock on wood). Part of the responsibility of being the executor is dealing with the cr@p. That is just the way it goes.

• joobee
    17 years ago

Sounds pretty lame to me. Just list it with an agent or have a real estate auction.

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

You know very well the intent of any and all home sellers is to get the most money for the property possible.

So then you were more than a bit disingenuous when you told berniek, "If you had read the original post and subsequent posts, you would have seen that getting the highest price is not a priority."? Plus, of course, all of the other allusions you have made to the same effect.

I do not claim alturism. I am giving people the advance notice and long lead time for my and the heirs benefits.

No? then what are we supposed to think of this?
    The people I want are those looking for a nice home in a nice neighborhood but usually end up being shut out by the more monetarily advantaged.

How nice of you to want the house to go to someone less advantaged, monetarily-wise.

As far as comparing what others have suggested, a normal action, to sheriff's sales there is no comparison to make as you would not be doing a sheriff's auction. I have seen plenty of normal auctions where time is allowed before the auction to do all of the things you are suggesting you will allow bidders, including time to get the house inspected.

I find it interesting that you did not address my suggestion that it is actually you who are letting emotions get in the way of making sound business decisions because you cannot resist the opportunity to plot and plan to be the puppet master making everyone dance to your tune.

• minibim
    17 years ago

This post should just be allowed to die and move off the page. Interesting that Ruddman in his continued attempt for attention had to dig it up again.

Nothing anyone posts is going to change his mind and unfortunately I think the whole idea will flop miserably, but wish him the best of luck anyway.

• ruddman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue36:

The assets of the estate have to fulfill the debts of the estate first and the wishes of deceased second. As I have stated earlier, my parents want their sons buried in the six family plots on our St. Sava Eastern Orthodox Church property in Libertyville, Illinois if possible. They knew that marriages, distant lives, and other situations may not make that possible. Even if my brothers objected to the prepayment of funeral expenses,which they have not, I would move to carry out the request with all the power, assets, and will to make it happen. It is a nonissue with my brothers and not something that has ever been a consideration with my brothers wives, ex-wives, or children.

The point you make about giving too much money to lawyers on this matter is a good one because the matter and the estate would be at greater jeopardy and suffer a reduced value if anyone wanted to fight the relatively low cost of prepaid funerals compared to the high cost of infighting with attornies.

It is simply a nonissue because my brothers know anyone not buried in Libertyville will simply be allowing our church to retain the funds. Our cemetery does not give refunds or allow you to resell grave plots once you buy them. You either use them or surrender them back to the church with no compensation. It is a nonissue.

The matter of right of first refusal for the heirs is not for the purpose of reducing or deflecting my fiduciary obligations, but will be a part of the process so that my brothers will have a chance to buy a solidly built all brick home at three-quarters of the price of the highest offer because they have a one quarter interest already built in.

I have already stated that unless I strike gold somewhere, I am in no position to purchase the house at any price. My oldest brother and my second youngest brother could. My youngest brother, who is currently 51 years old, is an irrepairable drug addict who will probably blow his share of the estate on drugs if one of his associates doesn't kill him for it.

I sold my parents last home with the help of an estate attorney and did not pay any brokers and I don't feel a need to bribe someone that is supposed to be working for and being paid by their clients who are looking to buy a house.

There will not be that many "looky-loo" types because the terms for the professionals will be too "lame"?, and the escorted tours will be too short and too few per day for the penniless dreamers.

Thanks for the concern, but the last time around I got good advice from a good lawyer and it cost us about $500.00 for his services to sell the home in West Allis, Wisconsin. I know the lawyers fees will be higher this time around, but as a percentage of the selling price it will probably be less.

Joobee:

At least your opinion is with the majority, but realtors value is highly overrated by those not smart enough to talk to a real estate attorney. A regular auction would bring less money for the home.

Dianemargret:

Why do I get the impression you write to penpals in prison for henious felonies?

I will not be running a fake Dutch auction that will stop at a certain price, but one that will go on until the house is sold. On that basis, yes I want to get the highest price possible but if it is not a high price, it doesn't matter.

It is not a matter of the house going to the less advantaged, but simply a desire to have interested parties start accrueing money if they wish to get involved. This will put more interested wannabe homeowners in the pool. A lot of people who do not have substantial assets at hand may have the ability to get financed and the advance notice will give them time.

Sorry Dianemargret, I am old school and I have not given you or anyone permission to insult me, so why waste my time answering questions that are not important to me.

I do find your behavior toward me interesting, but not surprising in a world with so many "politically correct" wussy men.

Minibim:

Responding to opinions and questions hardly constitutes attention seeking. Maybe we read different books.

If I live long enough to execute this plan, I will be back to advise anyone still around about the results, and I will be honest whether I win, lose, or draw.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Ruudman

• dianemargaret
    17 years ago

Why do I get the impression you write to penpals in prison for henious felonies?

Now, now. Don't be so hard on yourself. What makes you think you come across as a henious felon?

I will not be running a fake Dutch auction that will stop at a certain price, but one that will go on until the house is sold. On that basis, yes I want to get the highest price possible but if it is not a high price, it doesn't matter.

Yes you are planning a fake auction and the reason it doesn't matter is you include a plan to invoke the right of any one of four people to match a too low bid thereby wasting everyone's time. Why do you think those ebay auctions that come with a reserve are so almost universally avoided? What you are planning is no different than putting a reserve price on the house that can be invoked even after the bidding has ended.

It is not a matter of the house going to the less advantaged, but simply a desire to have interested parties start accrueing money if they wish to get involved.

Still no different from how anyone can use the same lead in time to any regular auction.

I do find your behavior toward me interesting, but not surprising in a world with so many "politically correct" wussy men.

Here's the thing. I don't necessarily think your idea is a bad one as novel ideas go. What I do find interesting is your continuously contradicting yourself concerning your motives. What I see are your thinly veiled attempts to be politically correct. Why are you so afraid to be truthful?

• fairyprincess
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if ruudman ever sold his parents home?

Does anyone know his email address?

Thanks!

Fairyprincess

• berniek
    16 years ago

Don't you think if it had been successful we would have heard?

• fairyprincess
    16 years ago

Maybe he died.

You are right though as he has (had?) an awfully big opinion of himself.

Fairyprincess

• Tuscanlover
    16 years ago

I'm just glad I read this long enough to find the bully stick thread. I haven't laughed that hard in years!