SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

What would you have done?

rosemaryt
11 years ago

I recently visited a small (textile) town in NC that was in very poor shape. You could see that the town had once been quite something, but it had fallen on very hard times.

The housing stock was in poor shape, but then I noticed - the cars were also in bad shape! I've never seen so many cars missing bumpers and windows and one was even missing a side panel. :( It was like a third-world country.

Well, I was there to look for Sears Homes and I was on my way (very slowly) to a lecture in another town.

A few turns here and there and I was in a not-so-good part of town.

I noticed an old guy (50-something) running and I was busy trying to look at houses and look out for kids and look out for unfamiliar signage.

Next thing I knew, he was knocking on the window of my car, gesturing at me to lower the driver's side window. I looked in his eyes (his face was right up against the window) and I felt a little creeped out. I just got a bad vibe.

He was quite bedraggled and unkempt, and I thought he was probably homeless.

He was right beside the car (driver's side) and he urgently gestured for me to open my window.

I paused for maybe three seconds, and then turned the steering wheel hard to the right and took off - in a hurry.

And then I took a better look around my surroundings and realized, I just needed to get out of that whole area.

For the next 10 minutes, I had the shakes. It really unnerved me. And after that, I felt a little guilty.

In retrospect, I just should have been paying more attention to my surroundings. :(

So, what would you have done?

PS. They didn't have but a couple kit homes in that town.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH