SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Curtain people- before I cut this fabric...

franksmom_2010
13 years ago

So, I'm making a valance for our dining room. The decor is a mix of formal and casual, crystal chandelier, painted china hutch, etc.

I'm going to line the valance with a cream colored dupioni, which will show in the folds of the box pleats. I have two choices for the top/face fabric. One is a dupioni blend, but it's just not quite the perfect shade. It doesn't look bad, but if it was a hint paler and greener, it would be perfect. Fabric #2 IS the perfect color and shade, but it's a cotton sateen.

My question is, if I make the valance out of the sateen, will it look like a bedsheet? Or otherwise tacky? I think the sateen will work, only because the other furniture is sort of casual. I'm afraid that if I use the silk, I'll be forever unahppy with the color. If the sateen looks too casual, I could always add a beaded fringe or something.

And please don't suggest more fabric links. OMG...I've looked at fabrics online and in person until my eyes bled. I have fistfuls of swatches...all the wrong color. I even thought about buying white silk and dying it myself, but I'm afraid that trying to dye that much yardage would be a disaster. These two are as close as I've come, so it's one or the other.

Comments (6)