SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xminion

Economic Refugee (Vent)

xminion
16 years ago

Thanks to all for indulging me this vent about the economics of housing.

When I was 10 years old the highway dept. took my mother's house for highway expansion.

Growing up in a suburban Boston neighborhood, I stayed until it became economically impossible. My rent overnight went from 350.00 to 800.00. As a single female, the choices at the time was to #1 Make alot more money overnight, #2 Live with 3 females in a 2 bedroom place,or

#3 Move.

I moved to where I thought the rents were cheap - Florida.

Life was pretty good, making decent money, contemplating purchasing a house. Certainly a lot cheaper to live than in Boston. Then came hurricane Andrew........

The irony is that even though I spent a couple of years volunteering with Habitat for Humanity after the hurricane, I could not purchase a home myself.

I subsequently met my husband, who is from the Midwest. His parents were getting on in years and he wanted to move back. We went to the Midwest, and within a few years, purchased a house. Now, 4 years later the city wants our neighborhood to put in a multi-million dollar theme park.

I want to go home (boston). My husband says "we'd have to be millionaires." Not quite but the housing costs remain out of our reach.

Recently there was a TV program about Native Hawaiians that are priced out of living in their own islands and living in tents.

Sometimes it seems my life has been very close to living like a refugee in my own country.

Comments (31)