SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103166

Listing townhouse for sale (help getting started)

User
11 years ago

We are working with a real estate agent, but I am a little frustrated with the comps he's coming back. It's not the prices that bug me, but the fact that he keeps showing me recently sold 2BR/2BA properties when we have a 3BR/3BA. He seems to think they are comparable, but common sense tells me they are not.

He suggests we list it low to get it sold within the first week and bring in multiple offers. I said "I only need one offer, and our new house won't be ready until October." It's unlikely anyone is going to get into a bidding war over a townhome. We can live with family if it does sells quickly, but we're not motivated to sell immediately.

I'm not a realtor so I don't have access to recent sales, but list prices for 3BR/3BA townhomes built after 2000 range from $115,000 (a 1347 sqft mid-unit bachelor pad with dirty dishes in the listing photos) to $325,000 (a 2000 sqft former model end-unit within walking distance to upscale shopping/dining and lake views).

About our unit: It's a 3BR/3BA mid-unit with average views. Extremely nice California Closets in all of the bedrooms. Upgraded light flooring (ceramic tile, carpet that looks as good as new). Upgraded light fixtures. Additional can lights where needed. Finished garage. (I have looked at other units in the neighborhood over the years and ours definitely shows the best.)

According to Zillow, comparable units in our neighborhood have sold between $129,000 and $131,000.

What do you think we should list it for, knowing that we're not in a hurry and it is the nicest middle unit in the neighborhood? Are there other factors that I should be considering?

Comments (11)