SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitypebble

Escrow advice and general financing for newbie

fruitypebble
17 years ago

Hi there,

First time buyer here looking for advice from this great community. I have some questions about financing. I am shopping around for a first time home loan and here are the details.

1. The property I have put an offer on is $377,000.00.

2. I am planning on putting down 20% and financing about $301,600.

3. This will be my primary residance for 5-10 years if all goes well.

4. I have excellent credit in the high 700s to low 800s (802 , 806 , 777) from three credit reporting agencies.

5. In my newbieness, I am at the momemnt either considering 30 year fixed or the 30 year bi weekly type of loans.

6. I am buying a house in North Andover , Massachusetts.

Here are my questions:

1. I have noticed that alot of the mortgages i have been looking at include prepaid escrowed closing costs; a friend told me that with my credit I shouldnt have to pay those to the lender for escrow. And he told me to avoid escrow in general. In my situation is this something that I could negotiate with lenders or is this pretty standard stuff that is expected. The escrowed items i am mainly aware of are:

a. One year of hazard insurance

b. Anywhere between 2-5 motnhs of property taxes.

All being equal , I would prefer that even if these costs have to be in place for the closing that I would prefer paying them myself and just providing documentation that they are indeed paid. Are they required and if so how would i negotiate me paying the costs myself instead of having them put in escrow?

2. Anyone have any further advice when negotiating with lenders and specifically what I should negotiate given that I somehow feel I am entitled to some payoff for having above average credit?

thanks in advance.

Comments (8)