SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Just speculating on making changes to make better sale. Long, so

TxMarti
10 years ago

First let me say that we are not putting our house on the market right now. I just spent a week with my kids who live in Missouri and have been indulging in dreaming of moving closer to them. Both my kids have left home and sometimes missing them feels like a physical pain iykwim. Also, a neighbor just sold their home for more than their asking price and we've been wondering about selling our house.

I have never liked living in this area (too hot & humid for me) and now with the kids gone, I am 100% sure I am not staying here when dh retires. So everything we do to the house from now on will be geared toward the eventual sale of the house.

I've been looking on real estate websites to check out houses for sale and sold in my area. My comps are houses that for the most part have not been updated as much as ours, no wood floors, no granite, etc. What they do have that ours doesn't is a master with large bath and walk-in closet. Our master closet is 5' wide by 3' deep and our master bath has one sink and only a shower, so a small 3/4 bath.

Most of the comps have two other small bedrooms like ours, but a few have one small bedroom and one larger. Some of their other bedrooms have walk in closets. One of our small bedrooms has a 4' closet and the other has a 6' closet, both 2.5' deep. The master bedroom sizes are about the same.

Our kitchen is one of the largest, if not the largest of any I looked at. It was tiny and we expanded it into the tiny dining area when we bought the house. Last year we added on a dining room as it will be impossible to sell without a designated dining room. But we use it as a breakfast room and still use the formal living room as the formal dining room.

We enclosed the garage years ago as the family room, and it's larger than the living room of most comps.

We built a detached extra deep & wide two car garage with full bath. We didn't really have the width to build a 3 car garage but we can put 2 small cars in each bay of the garage we built. Or could have. We built a wall across the back of the garage when dh's job required him to office at home and that was the only place his company cell phone gets reception. It's also better for him to work there than in the house with the tv or household noise. The garage still has about 6 feet in front of each car for workspace, and the wall could be easily removed if someone wants the whole space for garage.

When we built the dining room last year and had to have the slab inspected, I asked the inspector to look at our front porch too in case we wanted to expand one of our small bedrooms and he said it would be fine. The porch & house slab are a single pour.

So here is the point of all the above: Would it be worth it to expand one bedroom onto the porch slab? The current bedroom is 10x10, the roof is already there over the porch. The expense would be walls and moving all the electrical. The porch is 5' deep and runs the full length. The benefit is that this bedroom is on the other side of our bedroom closet and we could bump out our closet another 2 or 3 feet, giving us a walk in master, a second bedroom that is 10x12+ and giving both small bedrooms wider closets.

Is this something buyers crave, or would they overlook our master bedroom bath & closet to get a large kitchen, family room and garage?

And how would the bath & office space (wall heat & window a/c) be listed on the mls?

If you made it through all this, thank you for reading & answering.

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, May 30, 13 at 18:30

Comments (2)