SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arod2000_gw

My worthless RE agent

Arod2000
9 years ago

So I just read a post on another thread where a regular called out someone for having a low post count and griping about an REA. I get it, I understand. I post on other forums where I actually enjoy activities and I see noobs. Anyway, selling a home isn't something I do often so gimme a break on being a noob! :)

Why does my REA stink? First, she started the MLS listing with four pictures I took from my iPhone. That ran for a couple of weeks before she sent out a prof photog. You only get one shot at being a new listing and I know we didn't look very good based on my photographs. The photographer did a good job. For a few weeks her photographs were up before someone pointed out there weren't any pictures of the backyard. Oh. Good point. the REA sent the photog back out and she got some good backyard pics. We have a nice back yard.

Let me back up a little. When I first met her she asked me what price I wanted to sell the house for. My response to her was I want you to tell me what I should sell it for. I want you to send me comps with explanations of values and differences. She sent comps for the SW area of my town. I live in NW and there's a difference. My area is much nicer and that is well known. She didn't help at all with pricing and basically listed it at what I told her I thought would be fair. (I wish I'd pushed her more on that).

So, we get an offer. I'm told by my REA that the buyer "needs" this amount of money in closing costs. So I agree to that in my first counter offer. Their first counter offer doesn't include that amount of money in closing costs. It's about 20% less. I since learn the prospective buyer works in residential finance. so I feel like I'm being gamed and I ask my realtor why they would say this at the start and then change. She doesn't even address that and just says "well, this is what they're offering now". I don't know, guess I was crazy to think she may have some experience with what people do with offers/counter offers! I get frustrated and my 2nd counter is my final offer. They balk over 5k difference. And my realtor didn't help at all with that. In hindsight, I would have played the game a little more. Live and learn. Guess I expected too much of my realtor to guide me through that.

Furthermore, This offer (and another!) had pre approval letters for LESS than the price we were negotiating. I questioned my realtor about wasting our time since these buyers weren't qualified. She said she felt like they were qualified and added "why would their agent waste his time if they weren't qualified?" Uh, gee, I don't know, maybe because if you throw enough crap against a wall something will stick? Should I have not responded to the offer until they provided a prequal letter for the amount they're negotiating? Regardless, both were negotiating above what they desired to spend and that told me something. My REA didn't address that at all.

We've had 5 offers in 60ish days. Two lowball offers. Three good offers. One of those three good offers backed out because of a convicted kid-toucher on our street. Understandable. I can't do anything about that guy. It is what it is. The other two offers were the two negotiating above their prequal levels.

My agent has done two open houses and two caravans. She also sent a home stager and we did what she recommended. In the end, I feel like my agent is trying and doing some of the normal things. But she hasn't been any help at all when it matters most - in negotiating. I would hope she would shine when it comes to negotiating as that's pretty damn important and I really want her experience!

Comments (19)