SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbpag

What do you think about this RE agent review?

mpagmom (SW Ohio)
10 years ago

Gee, it's been slow around here. If we didn't have the spam, we'd have nothing at all.

I want you to read this review of a real estate agent from a major website and form an opinion, and then I'll explain the circumstances:

"(The real estate agent) has the creative writing down pat. Unfortunately her specialty is fiction. We bought a newer home that she had described as "immaculate" and "10 out of 10". Upon moving in we came to find out that there were many, many items in this home that made it far from immaculate or 10/10. Sadly as out of town buyers we had to rely on her word. Never again. Steer clear from this creative writer!"

The circumstances (some of which I related a few months ago in another thread):

We sold our house about 6 months ago. The house wasn't on the market yet or on the MLS, but some buyers just in town for the week looked at it twice and bought it. Our agent put it on the MLS with a couple pictures and a description after the contract was signed. The buyers had it inspected and we fixed everything they asked for (even silly items) and sent pictures and receipts to document the repairs. They did not come back into town until a week after closing.

They were obviously unhappy with the house after moving in and have tried to go after us, their inspector, and our agent for money. They filed a formal complaint about our agent with the local RE board, and they determined it was unfounded. Now they are trying to ruin her reputation with bad reviews because they don't agree with the description she put on the MLS after they'd signed the contract.

Would you give any weight to a review like that? Who decides to buy a house based on subjective words like "immaculate" in an MLS description? Who blames the seller's agent when they don't like the house?

By the way, the house wasn't "newer" in my book - it's 13 years old in an area with a lot of new construction. We weren't living in the house so it was in essentially the same condition as when they looked at it twice. The carpets were professionally cleaned and spotless, the walls were professionally touched up, etc. I made a video of the condition of the home just before closing to cover us if anything happened afterward. I even documented that all the doors were locked in case anyone broke in.

Just curious what you think...

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations