SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
revamp11

Vent re: my buyer's agent

revamp
14 years ago

Okay, I am in the process of purchasing a home. This will be the third home I've purchased, so although I am no real estate professional, I'm familiar with the process.

In short, my agent drives me nuts, but I wanted to see if I've got unrealistic expectations of him (maybe my past agents just spoiled me).

I used this guy 3 years ago to sell a home, and he did a great job of marketing the place. He's one of the busiest, most well-known realtors in the county--he knows lots of people and can make connections. It worked well for me on the seller side.

Now, as a buyer, I can never get hold of him. I've been looking at small batches of homes (2-5) once a week for the past few weeks. He's never able to work around my work schedule (he's always busy on weekends) so I end up having to take time off of work if I want to see these properties.

Sometimes, I see a brand new listing that I want to jump on, but can't get in to see it for a week because of how busy this guy is. We lost out on one house by a matter of hours (we submitted an offer and the response was "oh, we accepted another offer 2 hours ago) due in part to not being able to see properties on a timely basis.

Now, I just got back from seeing a property I want to put an offer in on. I told my guy AT the property, "Ok, let's go back to your office and put in an offer". He says, oh I can't I have another appointment to go to. I say, no prob, fax the docs to me at work.

I get to work, I call him up and he says he won't have time to write the offer until maybe 6pm TONIGHT! (I saw the house at 8:15 this morning). Am I out of line for expecting him to make time when I'm trying to not be scooped on a house?

This is in WI, so we are under contract for 6 months with his real estate office. So, if I dump him I still have to work with his coworkers. Also, he knows EVERYONE so I don't want to burn bridges. He's a pleasant, smart, skilled professional who has just spread himself too thin. If for whatever reason this deal falls through, should I dump him and find someone who is at my beck and call, or try not to ruffle feathers but possibly lose out on other properties?

argh.

/end rant.

Comments (11)