SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaki5

Remodel Bathrooms or Leave as Is

melissaki5
10 years ago

My FIL recently passed and my MIL does not feel comfortable staying in the same home, so she has decided to sell and buy something smaller and closer to her sons. I don't have any photos right now (at work) but would like to hear others' opinions. Its an approx 2400 sq ft home in a relatively upscale suburb of Chicago. The rest of the house had been recently remodeled a few years ago (hardwood floors installed, new trim, new paint). The kitchen was done maybe 15 years ago, its a tad dated but not terrible.It has nice stainless appliances, maple cabinets, and we can have granite installed. The issue we are having a disagreement on is the bathrooms. They are original to the house built in 1977. Everything functions and is clean but just dated. Some in the family feel we should just leave them as is and others (mostly me) feel they should be redone. The closest sold comps in the area all have been very recently remodeled and I think the house may either sit on the market for awhile or take a significant price hit because of the dated bathrooms. I would just like some opinions on whether it is financially smart to spend the time an money on fixing the bathrooms or is it better just to leave them be and let the new owners remodel as they like. Dh an his brother are very handy so while this would not be a complete DIY they can do any plumbing, electrical, and demo involved - tile work would probably be hired out (dh and BIL can do it but not as fast as a pro).

Comments (21)