SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowboyfan_gw

House just won't sell!

cowboyfan
17 years ago

Would like your advice/insight. Our home has been for sale 7 months. We moved out of state 6 months ago so the house is empty. We've had TONS of lookers, lots of positive feedback. Only 2 offers, one that was $8K below our asking price and refused to come up any, the other was $5K below our asking price AND he wanted us to loan him $5K. Our only negative feedback has been that the appliances are old (we're now offering a home warranty) and that the house is too small (can't do anything about that!).

My family lived in this house for 5 years while my DH went thru graduate school. We made many improvements and it is CLEAN. While this house is small and nothing grand, it is a very nice starter home, perfect for a graduate student or couple just starting out. Realtor originally wanted us to list at $104K but we decided to list at $99,900 to move the house faster. Nothing. We lowered price to $94,500 and realtor now wants us to lower again to $92K.

DH is still in school (almost finished) so our resources are very limited. We really don't have the funds to put anything more into this house, especially since we've been paying a mortgage AND rent (since we've moved) for 6 months now. We just want this thing to SELL already. Realtor has not been too helpful when we ask why she thinks it hasn't sold. She keep saying it's a great house and that it will sell soon and that it's priced right. I've asked if I need to come back there and re-paint (I worry that now that our things are no longer in the house the paint colors might turn someone off), work on the yard, etc and she says no, that everything looks great. Well, then why won't it sell?

The things we probably have going against us are that our house is probably the nicest in the neighborhood and the neighborhood itself is not the greatest. It's not bad, but there is a "bad" area several blocks away. Other than that, I don't know why no one would want our cute little house.

Any advice on what we might do to get this thing sold? As I mentioned, we've had many, many lookers and mostly all positive feedback. So, what gives?

House that won't sell (Yes, the "featured tour" is a bit hokey--we've asked her to take it down and we worry that seeing all the leaves in the yard might turn someone off AND date the house.)

Comments (29)