SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyaches

Dilemma: Should I Go Ahead With This Home Purchase?

rubyaches
12 years ago

We found a home that we really like in the neighborhood we really want to be in. It sits on a beautiful lot - a Cul de Sac with a wooded area behind the house (no neighbors/no new homes will be built). The exterior appearance is exactly what we want; the front and backyard are nicely landscaped and there's a stamped concrete patio in back looking over the wooded area. Inside, it's just as nice - move in ready. The kitchen is a little smaller than what we would like, but overall, it's fine for the two of us. (We're two 60 year olds with no children at home.)

We made an offer at $900 below asking price and they accepted.

Here's the dilemma: the furnace and A/C unit are original to the house (1991). We've already had the home inspection and the inspector advised us to have an HVAC guy come out for a thorough inspection because of the age of the units. (THE SELLERS DISCLOSED THE AGE OF THE UNIT, BUT WILL NOT REPAIR OR REPLACE THE UNIT. THEY ARE BUYING A HOME WARRANTY FOR US IN THE DEAL.)

So, yesterday, the HVAC guy came out and inspected everything. The A/C passed, but he said he found 2 cracks in the heat exchange unit. These people have 3 small children, so I don't think it's to the point where the house is flooded with carbon monoxide. I know they have a CM detector in the house and if it was really bad, those babies would be dead by now.

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION on the Home Warranty that comes with the house? Are they reliable? Do they really replace things or do they keep coming out on service calls and make the unit limp along until it's time to replace it, but by that time the warranty is expired? (We will actually be getting 2 years of warranty because my agent offered to pay for another year.)

Would you walk away from this home, screaming all the way down the street?

Or would you go ahead with the deal and hope the Home Warranty will take care of it?

Or would you take this as a sign that this home isn't meant for you to live in?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (33)