SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

What causes this kind of personality? Go ahead, play psychologist

leafy02
12 years ago

A member of our extended family is a Southern lady in her mid 60's. MY SILs and I want to know what causes her kind of behavior so we can try to prevent it in our own kids. I call her passive-aggressive, but I'm not sure that's the correct label.

For example, her husband is extremely involved in their church. She doesn't want to participate 24/7 (and has said so to us), but rather than say so to him, she begs off attending individual events by saying she doesn't feel well or she is too tired.

Then, because she has said that she is too tired or ill to attend the deaconess luncheon or whatever, she can't go out and do anything else that she might actually enjoy, and she sits around sighing about how she never gets to do anything because her husband is busy with church.

If one of us goes on a vacation-- or even something simple like going to the movies with our husbands or friends--she sighs about how she never gets to do anything like that.

Worse yet, she uses that sighing act to get her adult children do what she wants them to, especially on days when they have planned to do things with other family members. Plan a cookout or a day at the beach together and you can bet your last dollar she will call and ask for help because XYZ needs done TODAY and she is too tired to do it.

She doesn't have a job and there is nothing anyone knows of that should be making her so "tired" for the past 20 years.

She had a very domineering mother and a largely absent father. We are hoping that's the cause so hopefully our daughters won't end up like this. What do you all think?

Comments (23)