SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

deck stain? low voc questions

blubird
9 years ago

I know that there is a deck forum; however that seems to be where threads go to die. I know that we have very experienced people on this forum who have decks. This is just decorating outside the home :-)

We recently had our deck rebuilt with pressure treated lumber. We had considered using the new composites, but there were lots of negatives and $$$ associated with that.

The question is that we wanted to stain our deck with a semi-transparent stain, but our state (NJ) is among several others who required a reformulation of many stains to reduce the VOCs a few years ago. Therefore lots of the reviews of stains don't address the lower VOC stains. Essentially they've made the oil stains into non-oil stains which definitely affects it's durability.

Has anyone here used any of the low voc semi- transparent stain and have a review they're willing to share? I'm not expecting to have 5 years of no maintenance on the deck surface, that would be unrealistic,but I would like to be able to skip a year of restaining even with winter weather which includes snow.

The reviews which I have read are all over the place. The recent Consumer Reports listed Behr Weatherproof as the top semi-trans stain, but I read the people's reviews with actual use and they were awful.

Cabot had been recommended, but that was the formula before voc reduction, and it has sort of disappeared from the shelves. Lowes no longer carries it and some independents can "get it for me if I want it". I also see Olympic, Benjamin moores' Arborcoat and SW deckscapes.

We've been reading reviews and changing our minds over the past month or so and we need to get this job started between the incessant rain drops. We would really appreciate your help.

Helene

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus