SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hardcorpse

Garapa Deck Install Questions

hardcorpse
16 years ago

Hello All. I am new to the posting side of this forum but have read well over a sane amount of posts in search of THE TRUTH.

My situation is this: I have purchased 1x6 Garapa Gold from East Teak and am planning to re-skin my existing PT deck. I have yet to remove the existing rotted deck, but in anticipation of the Garapa's arrival I am boning up on knowledge in the hopes of eliminating or at least minimizing costly and time consuming mistakes. My research has led me to the following conclusions:

1. I may need to replace some (many) of the existing PT timbers; This does not frighten me.

2. I do not want to pre-seal all 4 (6) sides. Top only, after install.

3. SS Trimhead #7 2 1/4 screws are planned- wouldn't mind Headcoat if I could figure on a color. The difference between Ipe and Garapa is significant, but I plan on using a darker stain on the wood (116 perhaps?). Love liquid nails so I will do the 4?? adhesive just because.

4. TWP or Woodzotic? I know there has been a lot of info flying around, but the concreteness of the data still has me wondering. Yearly maintenance is ok, but to a lesser degree would be preferential.

5. Rails will be Mangaris, would like to use same stain but accentuate the difference in color between the two different woods. Information here would be quite helpful.

6. Countersink vs. no countersink. The Garapa is a bit softer than Ipe, so I like the 5/32 pilot with no countersink idea. I am a bit OC so I will definitely chalk lines and use a jig to ensure screws are straight. 3/4 from edges and ends sounds about right, but I would like to be sure. Anchor Seal is a given, but should the skirt cover the ends or be flush with the joists?

7. Gapping. I am clueless. 1/8, 3/16, flush? Much help here if possible.

8. Deck is ~1 ft above ground on low end and 20" on high end with ventilation on three sides. Is this sufficient?

9. Sanding? I am reaaaallly confused on this topic.

I think that covers the basics, but any additional help is much appreciated

Semper Fi

Comments (7)