SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Will someone hold my hand too? (I'm rambling)

nodakgal
15 years ago

I hate to even post this, and ask, there is so much going on here.

I posted at the Meeting House last November about my Uncle Gene who is in the home here, being diagnosed with cancerous spot in his lung, near the esphogus. (sp) He has COPD, scoliosis of the spine, emphysema, core pulmonale (right sided heart failure)lots of problems. He has made the decision not to have treatments for the cancer, he is in a frail state with all the things wrong with him, there is no way he could take treatments, they'd kill him.

In March he got sick with pneumonia and we almost lost him the Friday before Easter, he went into respiratory failure, only with a wonderful heart and lung doctor and great respiratory therapist did he pull through. Ever since then he has had a horrible, almost choking cough and it hasn't gotten any better.

This past Monday, after not feeling good for a few days, he was to see the Doc in the afternoon. 5 minutes after one of my DB's were there to see him he had some sort of a spell an aide walked into his room and he was gasping for air and turning blue! They couldn't get the gurney set up and working right. 4 or 5 gals pretty much tore the sheets off his bed and carried him out to the van to go to the ER after his Nebulizer treatment wasn't working. He was pretty much unresponsive.

When DB and I got to the ER he still wasn't responding but gasping for air. He and the heart doc had a talk once Uncle Gene came around about Hospice and any life saving methods and what exactly he wants here in the last stages of his life. No ventilator,no CPR, any of that, its all in his chart, there are no decisions to be made by any of us, he has made them all himself.

He was sent back to the home with next day. He is not doing well IMO, I am not sure if its depression or if he isn't feeling well. He doesn't really say when you ask, just oh I'm ok. He's never been one to say much about whats going on with him, he just talks about YOU, wants to know how your doing and the family etc. He has never,ever before this even wanted to inconvienance anyone or be a burden. He's always been the happiest person I've ever known, cracking jokes and one-liners and the sweetest, kindest man you'd ever meet, loves animals and of course big hearted. My DS's middle name is after Gene because he's been my favorite uncle always. He is pretty much my last link to my Mother and Gramma, he was the one all my DB's and DSis's were the closest to. I have another Uncle but he doesn't live close and we didn't always see him growing up.

I quit smoking a month ago today after seeing him struggle and of course my DH's decision to quit helped me quit too. Monday was such a horrible day I wanted a smoke so darn bad! I didn't buy any though and made it thru the day.

Now,I am not ready to say good bye!! I want him here for my DD's wedding in the fall, I want him here for everything that will happen in the future! I guess what we want isn't always what we get is it??

I've asked WHY?? this happens to such wonderful people, prayed, cried and I guess I am now starting to accept what is going to happen.

The Doc says 6 months, I, myself, know its just an educated guess. I don't know if he will last 2.

I've been "down" all week here. I know I am not going to handle this well here in the next few weeks or months. I could just use someone to hold my hand if you could.

Comments (39)