SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_17252033

Someone hold my hand please! LOL

User
15 years ago

Ok, here's my admission...lol..we've somehow managed to get to the stage of grouting our shower!!!

This is not DIY, except for the murder charges (KIDDING.. sort of lol) of my first contractor. Long story short, we're on contractor #2, and although he's disorganized (any one with 9 year old boys will understand my analogy.. tell him 9 times, yell 4 times, remind him of the list 4 times, then do it yourself lol, but yes, 8 weeks in, and the shower should be ready for rinsing/washing down before I seal the tile. Here is the big nasty admission... the tile is slate. I know no one wants to hear that.. but that's what it is. In MY opinion.. it's to die for. Lovely, everything we wanted.

Here is where I need a helping hand. The tile thinset is Servolight (Kiesal), and is an amazing product.. mixes like butter, sticks like IRON (had to remove one tile 1/2 hr after install.. nearly pulled my fingers off my hand!) Now, all the tile will be finished installation today, God willin' and the crick don't rise!

I need to know if this makes sense. I have to wash the tile down before sealing with Saber Seal (Colour enhancing sealer). Once it's washed, and I am ready to seal do I have to be VERY careful to not seal the grout line, SOMEWHAT careful, or just roll it on like water, and seal what it seals?

The grout is called Chembond ColourTech "S" 9924, which is Peppercorn in colour, and is sanded. The grout lines are 3/16ths.

Judging by the contractor who has managed to spread wet drywall mud through 6 rooms of the house, even though he's working only on 1 room, I knowwwwwwww he's going to make a mess with the grout. I want to be prepared for this. The tile store told me to pipe the grout in, and within 10 mins to do the 45 degree wipe off. I KNOW we're going to end up with grout haze, it's a fact. How can I deal with this? Can I do a vinegar/water rinse on sealed slate? Any further ideas?

I am attaching a pic of the tile install as of 2 days ago. Please feel free to chastise me for slate, but I would LOVE to have some input too.

{{gwi:1390640}}

This second picture actually should have gone first, but the tired brain here doesn't feel like moving it! The side walls weren't done yet. Today the arch is stoned!

Thanks for reading, and again, anyone with any after grout help, thanks muchly. Off to prod a contractor!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH