SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
climbingpink

Antique Rose Newbie - 4 Varieties - Hold My Hand

climbingpink
14 years ago

My message resembles a full blown Climbing Pinkie, so feel free to jump in on any "cane" that might be of interest. ;-)

AR Emporium and I enjoyed a nice late February visit, and I decided to go for it and plant 4 varieties at various spots in my garden. I chose two gallon root roses: Jaune Desprez, a climber for a partial shade spot; Zephirine Drouhin, a climber for a mostly shade spot; Climbing Pinkie, another climber for a mostly sunny spot (coupled with a Princess Diana clematis); and a Duchesse de Brabant bush for a very sunny spot. They all produced blooms around March. Now the only one repeat blooming is the Brabant (although it seems to have diminished in scent since March!). Are these blooming patterns the "norm" here in Austin, Texas?

The Brabant has a bit of thrips. I am using a Saferway Rose spray with modest success. I am also attempting to snap off old or damaged buds. Any other advice?

The Jaune Desprez is the slowest going. Very few blooms in March. Now some additional foliage but no buds. Does it take a looong time to get established? The fellow at the Emporium assured me that the Desprez would be quite happy with partial shade, but I'm wondering if I have committed a fatal rose gardening error. (I have it planted under a wide-slat arbor so the 6+ hours of sun it gets a day is filtered.)

Finally, the ZDrouhin and the CPinkie have the most vigorous growth - lots o'foliage - but little buds or blooms. The ZDrouhin has maybe 2 buds. I like green, but I like blooms better. Does anyone have suggestions for spurring these along, or is patience a virtue?

I'm using an organic fertilizer once a month; epsom salts every 90 days; watering long and as needed; and trying not to envy the bloomin' David Austins and Jackson & Perkinses I see around me.

Comments (14)