SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Newbie refinisher/need hand-holding/advice/pics!

mjsee
14 years ago

This breakfast table is, according to my mother, red maple. I've stripped it, sanded (by hand) with 120 followed by 220...done the mineral spirits test...and I think I'm ready to finish.

From kitchen table to refinish

This table has seen hard use...and I'm not trying to make it look "new"...the remaining stains are part of it's history. But Elder Son needs a table to take to grad school...so I decided to refinish this one. I was thinking of staining with Minwax Colonial Maple oil stain and finishing with satin polyurethane...I figured poly would give it a little more protection against the beer I know will end up on the table...

Here is a picture with one of the legs:

And the stains that won't come out:

SO...with all that in mind...

1) I've read that I need to use a wood conditioner and THEN stain...is that correct?

2) Do you think Colonial Maple is the appropriate stain for this piece? It's pretty close (at least on samples) to what was on the table before

3) Is satin poly (oil based) the best choice for a kitchen table that's going to get abused? I'd considered something like waterlox...but then read it might not hold up to the abuse I'm pretty certain it will get.

I don't know why I'm anxious about doing this. It's not a precious antique...it's probably circa 1940. Should I just dive in?

thanks for any/all comments/advice/thoughts.

melanie

Comments (8)