SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saphireny

Are buyers looking for the cheapest house in the best area?

saphire
17 years ago

A house I am considering is the second in on a small cul de sac off a main road. The Cul de sac is small, only 4 houses but you also have backyard neighbors. It is in the most expensive neighborhood and the this house would be on the low end but is the most I could afford. Location wise the cul de sac is good but being the second house in is not and the fact that it is a cul de sac makes it worse somehow than if it were just the begining of a quiet street. Hard to explain but take my word for it. The yard is great and the house is smaller than most but bigger than some in the neighborhood and has some decent curb appeal. It has about 5 or 6 bedrooms and is on over .7 acre which is consdiered a good size for this neighborhood. It is an oversized typical house. This neighborhood ranges from 4 bedrooms to Mansions and one of the houses on the cul de sac is a mansion on 2 acres (in need of work, also for sale) and another is in between a mansion and a regular house but its yard is not as nice. Neither one overshadow this house (awhile back I refused to consider a house that was next door to a Mansion, I felt like I would be living in the servants quarters even though it was a typical 4 bedroom house. The one I want is a great house although they are asking too much for the house. On another block further in to this neighborhood it may be worth the asking. The agent indicated they were flexible. It has been sitting for a long time but I think people are intimidated by the price (the ones who are like me cannot afford the same size house on a better street), the ones who can afford the asking realize they may be able to get a better street for that price. Note there is not a lot available in the price range I think this house will sell in

The alternative is to buy in a neighborhood two minutes away where I would buy on a very typical suburban quiet street. Houses range from 3 and 4 bedroom colonials on 60 x 100 lots to 5 bedroom farm ranches on 100 x 130. The house would be either the biggest and or most property in that neighborhood as well as being among the most expensive for that neighborhood but at least 200k less than the first house. Lets assume I could afford either althought he first will be more expensive and will require some budgeting in the short term but I am willing to consider it. School district is the same.

Which would you take and which is more marketable down the road

Which is a better buy?

Comments (18)