SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debra_hoff

First Time Home Buyer - Looking for Insight

Debra Hoff
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Being that I am a first time home buyer I am learning this process. I viewed the market a couple months before getting a pre-approval. Actually met with one agent but was not impressed by his lack of communication and eagerness to assist us with our search.

The 2nd agent I contacted referred us to a lender. He was the listing agent of a home we drove by and looked at and was honest over the phone advising the home was way over priced for the amount of work needed. I appreciated his honesty. We decided to hire him officially because of his transparency.

To date, I have had my pre-approval for a month now. I have only viewed one home with my buyers agent. I feel the communication has been there, he immediately informed within 2 hours that the home we bid on received a cash offer. I found another home that I loved online and scheduled a viewing that was not honored by the listing agent. Was pretty disappointed and my Realtor also expressed frustration with how the listing agent handled this.

My questions are:

1.) What should I expect my buyers agent to do? So far he has guided us to a lender and emailed and showed one house. I check listings everyday on Realtor.com and am beginning to feel somewhat discouraged. Homes are selling FAST right now!

2.) Should I expect him to send me a list of houses to view? If so how often...

3.) Should I provide a list of what we want?

4.) How far should I expect him to travel to show a house? (I am trying to be respectful of his commute).

5.) Should we view homes that are little under approval amount and offer more to get it or is it reasonable to look at homes a little more than our approval amount and potentially negotiate less than list price?

I guess ultimately being new to this process I don't want to seem naïve to my agent. I want to have somewhat of knowledge to feel comfortable with any transaction and decision as well as know what to expect on this journey.

Comments (19)