SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthumb21

Where to find cheapest land that is best for growing food?

gthumb21
7 years ago

My wife and I are looking to get 5+ acres in California. We want to put a small house down on it and grow our own food, vegetables and fruit / nut trees. We love Avocados, Limes, Lemons, Figs, Nectarines, Pineapple, Cashews, Pistachios, Cherries, Apples.

We have grown veggies in a bunch of parts of California in the past 5 years: Sonoma County, San Fransciso Bay Area, and Sierra foothills El Dorado County.

Our budget is not huge (<$50k) for the initial land, so this has us looking in the Sierra Foothills region, or east side of the San Joaquin Valley (SJV). We've lived in the intense summer heat of Zone 9b before, but nothing like what we see for highs in the SJV. But, we have spent this summer growing in the 2800 ft. elevation in El Dorado County, and love that it is 10 degrees cooler than the valley. Winter my change our minds, though. Thinking it might be worth it to deal with the heat vs. dealing with the freeze.

What are your suggestions? Would love to hear from those of you in the SJV or elsewhere you think we might like it.

Oh, one other big thing. Let's see if you are reading down this far, lol...the place has to have (high-speed, wired or wireless) internet, as we run a business from home that requires lots of video conferencing / VOIP (sounds stupid, but it makes us lots of money and we have like 30 hrs. a week to garden, do hobbies).

Cheers!

Comments (3)