SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike758_gw

Where is the best place to buy farm land?

mike758
10 years ago

I'm currently somewhat young and I live in a former country town, now suburbs in southeast Pennsylvania, becoming more and more dense. I want to escape the over development and even start my own farm. I also want to live an "off the grid" lifestyle. Now whether this farm will be more of a hobby farm or my main source of income is still in debate now, I still have to learn more about the lifestyle to determine that. I may even go into a help exchange program to learn more about farming. I do have agriculture experience, I just have never lived on a farm.

Anyway, when you talk about either escaping the over development or starting a farm, people always say to "head west". The question is where? I know in my town the only remaining farms are rich horse farms, because land is worth about 50,000 an acre taxes are really high. Even some of the rural areas around me in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are still pretty expensive to buy land from, and they constantly face pressure of development.

I'm looking for a realistic place to live that has affordable farmland, cheap taxes, and where I wouldn't have to worry about developments going up suddenly. I also don't care if I have to live on the other side of the country either, it might sound like I want to stay local but I seriously don't care. I don't think there even are good places to start a farm on the east coast.

Comments (22)

Sponsored