SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Why do some realtors lie/mislead when advertising a house?

newhomeseeker
16 years ago

I have been in the market for a home for some time now. The area where I live is a very slow market. However the asking prices for homes is rising even though not much is moving. My pet peeve is realtors who advertise the home one way and you go look at it and its nothing like you expected. For example, there is a house for sale on the road I currently live on. It appears to be a decent house from the outside (the condition of it). However the realtor has this home advertised as "fantastic breath taking views" which to me would imply there are some very nice views of the woods or valleys that are in the area. Nope, right across the street from this home is a bunch of trashed trailers (looks like a small trailer court) with each having about ten junk cars in the yard. And one has a burnt out school bus sitting in the driveway. You can't miss this "view" unless you only look at the back windows of the house. The back of the house faces some woods and power lines. Not a fantastic breath taking view either. This house isn't all that wonderful on the inside either (pictures on MLS), there is a lot of work that needs to be done with 70s style carpet, wall paper etc. If the realtor just left out any part about the great views I don't think it would bother indviduals as much. I mean no one wants to live across from a bunch of run down trailers but when one's expectations are high then I would think the person looking would be even more let down.

There was a home I went to look at recently. The realtor only had pictures of the outside of the home and one bedroom on the MLS and the home was advertised as "well kept, updated home that is gorgeous inside" I know "gorgeous inside" is subjective but this home was hideous. The carpet was stained (from pets, which the house smelled heavily of), there were several broken light fixtures, the kitchen cabinets were mismatched!! It had this ugly floral wall paper (I hate wallpaper) that was peeling off the walls. This wasn't a home priced as a starter home either. One of the bedrooms had a sheet as a door, for what reason I do not know. It was a total waste of time. If the home was listed as "needs TLC " or sold as is I could understand that we were going to see a home that needs some work. It didn't look like it had been updated for years!

THere is a home that has been for sale for almost two years, the realtor always lists it as "price reduced". THe price hasn't been reduced on that house for at least a year. And the only time the price was ever reduced they reduced it $500. Yes, five hundred dollars. Also this home is listed as "in a quiet neighborhood, great for the kids". Yes, the neighborhood as a whole is small and quiet and kid friendly but this particular house sits right on a busy intersection (lots of semi truck traffic) and the house is literally 20 feet from the road. Very noisy area- day and night. Some people can deal with that I'm sure. It is a very nice house. But if a family is going there expecting this home in this sunny quiet neighborhood and has to listen to the roaring of the traffic while they tour the house they are going to be very suprised. Why don't some (I know its not all- these are just examples) of realtors just be as honest as they can or at least not blatantly lie. (for ex. not many people consider a yard full of junk cars and a falling down neglected rusty trailer a "fantastic breathtaking view" why not just leave out any mention of the view at all?

Comments (14)