SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Flat Fee MLS--not an option

weedyacres
12 years ago

Well, it turns out there's a little restraint of trade going on with MLS in my little neck of the woods. They have exhorbitant initiation fees and arduous testing and continuing education requirements that basically keep discount brokers out. I called around a lot of places I found on the web who said they don't cover my county, and one guy spilled the beans on why not.

Our plan had been to do a flat fee MLS listing, take on the grunt work of marketing (photos, staging, pricing) in return, and offer 3% commission to buyer's agents. But now it appears we can't do that.

I can get a realtor.com listing for $69 or so, but not being on the MLS is definitely a handicap. So, what do you experts suggest as options to minimize our selling fees? There is a broker here that does 5% fees (3% to buyer's agent) for a package with no open houses and no print advertising. Are agents likely open to negotiation of their fees based on doing fewer things that take time & money? If we went FSBO with 3% to buyer's agent, and promoted the heck out of it to the local agents, would they bite or boycott?

Other ideas? This is really frustrating that we don't have the option to choose a lesser level of service if we want.

Comments (24)