SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrissyb2411

Do I owe them a templeting fee for cancelled order?

chrissyb2411
10 years ago

Ok I will try to make this fairly brief. We ordered lg solid surface counters from lowes. When originally ordering our reasons for this choice were budget, and we wed really drawn to the seamless aspect of solid surface. When I placed my order there was a "free" sink promotion, but you paid the $260 fee for sink installation.

So I sat down with the kitchen person, went over what I wanted. Largest sink possible, single bowl. Now that I am sitting here signing on the dotted line "oh that sink is not part of the promotion, it would be $250 ish more". Ok then, biggest free sink is 24", lets go with that. I told her I didn't know if I wanted the backsplash or not at this point. No problem she says. You can change your mind, if you do it's about $250 more. Great no problem.

Fast forward. We get our cabinets in, guy comes to template. I had called prior to templeting to let them know that I was going to do a 4" backsplash, and after researching the sinks more and realizing that the inside dimensions was only 21" I was going to need the bigger one. The guy templeting asks do I want the seamless backsplash? Um, I thought that was the only option, what's the difference? He says its 3x as expensive. I say price it out both ways.

Now I'm back at lowes. My original counter top quote was $2000. Now in order to get all the seamless stuff that drew me to silolid surface I need to pay an additional $1500. Ouch! The sink upgrade is $375 on top of the $260 instaltiin fee. I told her I needed to think about it. If solid surface is no longer budget friendly it doesn't have much going for it. I thought about it for a few days, and asked her to cancel the order. I can get quartz at that price. She says fine, but I owe a templeting fee of $172. I feel like I was duped a bit. It was not really made clear to me how many up charges came with what I wanted.

So, in your humble opinions, do I owe the templeting fee or do I fight it? We had multiple issues with our cabinets through lowes that are still unsolved as well, so I'm feeling inclined to tell the to take there fee and stick it up their nose.

Comments (33)