SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Let's Introduce Ourselves!

jennifer_in_va
15 years ago

It's been some time since we've done this, and I've not been around as much to meet the new people. So let's all introduce ourselves to all the new folks...

My name is Jennifer. I'm in my 10th year of marriage to my DH. We have a 7yo DD, a 4yo DS, and an 11 month old DD as well (She's the reason I've not been around much lately!). I also have 19yo step-twins who are no longer in the house. We have a 3 yo siberian husky named Koda, a bunny named Fluffy, and 14 pond fish.

I spend my days with the kids and homeschooling them, and managing house & home. We've always homeschooled and expect to continue indefinitely. Amidst everything else, quilting keeps me sane!!

I guess I'd call myself a traditional quilter. I prefer traditional blocks over art; don't like to do applique, though will do it by machine if it needs doing. I love my Janome workhorse for piecing and have a standard machine on a frame for quilting...hand quilting doesn't work for me...speed is my friend!

I've been quilting for over 20 years, have made everything from mini quilts to king sized. Lately, I'm favoring mini quilts/wall hangings! [When I find a quilt I like, I think I'm going to start making a mini quilt of it!] I also love to paper piece!

I also sew clothes for the girls some, make matching winter fleece jackets for the kids each fall as well as matching holiday outfits.

I tend to stay busy! (Oh, and I'm the one who is hosting the 3rd annual Camp Cheerio Quilt Retreat in the fall)

Next....

Comments (57)

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

Seems like I've been here before but glad to share who I am with others.
    I am Jayne, the great granny of the group. I will be 76 soon, married for 58 1/2 years to the same charming gentleman whom I eloped with while I was a senior in HS. He soon departed for the army and I finished HS then moved around the country as a army wife. We've lived in Canandaigua,NY for the past 55 yrs.
    We have 2 DD, 5 grandchildren, and 7 GGgrands. They all live close, too close sometimes. No animals.
    When my children were a reasonable age I did a job that coordinated with their schedule to earn the extra monies that allowed me to go back to school and become a nurse, which I did for 33 yrs. I spent most of those years at an operating room table which was a wonderful time for me.
    I have use the sewing machine for ever, making most of my childrens cloths and things for the house. It wasn't until my first GD was on the way that I took up quilting which I learned by taking a few classes. I have been making them since 1978 always influenced by new ideas and interesting techniques, many coming from magazines, the forum, and quilt shows. I am totally addicted to fabric, books, sewing machines.
    I love to sew heirloom childrens cloths but have little call to make them anymore. I used to have a sm. business selling some of my work but gave it up after I retired.
    I would love to go to the retreat but I travel with my DH and he wasn't too enthused so I guess we'll just do as usual and follow or noses soon and take our spring trip, heading So. this year to PA,VA, NC, and who knows where else. I have 4 Jennifer Chiaverini books that were an early BD gift that I plan on filling some of the time a VA.Beach where we will be staying for 1 of the weeks.
    I do garden some, bowl in the winter but not much else except read and play on the puter. I love the forum and all of you ladies with whom I spend way too much time.
    Jayne

• freekie
    15 years ago

For the second year I am in a swap and look at this page almost every day. I am living in Bergen in the Netherlands. I am divorced 35 yrs ago and took care of my two sons on my own. The oldest has two children, a girl and a boy and I look after them a lot because both parents are flying for KLM. Bergen is a place close to the sea in the dunes. Many artist,painters, composers, writers etc. live here. A good place to live.
    20 years ago I got problems with my back and had to find a new hobby. I saw a beautiful quilt in a magazine and I tried to make one myself. I was bedridden at that time. My sons did cut paper templates for me so I could put fabric around it and sew the pieces together. Now I am able to use the machine as well and make small and large quilts. I have some UFO's but in the end I finish most. I also love to work on my dollhouse I finished one and started on the second. I like to do both. I read a lot as well.
    I learned to know about Gardenweb through an american friend, she said I should join a swap. We are in contact by email and Skype. The computer is my connection with the world outside Bergen.
    Wish you all well and thank you for all the ideas and advice at the forum.
    Ankie

• Related Discussions

'Getting to know you, getting to know all about you...'

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello, We (DH & I) are in the process of landscaping around a new house that we moved into last summer. The front is too small for a traditional lawn surrounded by deep beds with large trees and shrubs (like my old garden). So, I'm attempting to create a welcoming space with smaller scaled trees and shrubs. I'm not knowledgeable or skilled enough to attempt a true Japanese garden (I grew up in Japan and have seen many beautiful ones), but I'm hoping to evoke the calm serenity that one experiences in a beautiful Japanese garden. To that end, I've lurked endlessly on the landscaping design forum, I'm reading old posts on this forum, and I'm working my way through the book list that inkognito posted (thanks, Ink!). I've been an avid gardener for a long time, and have learned that it's a continual process. It took me nearly 14 years at my old home to learn that sun loving plants would not thrive under old cedar trees, but that there are wonderful shade lovers. Now, the new site is mostly sunny, so I have the happy challenge of learning about a whole new palate of plants.
    ...See More

Introducing Ourselves...

Q

Comments (19)
    Florence and Nick, this is so fun getting to see you both! Nick, we'd be calling you Jeff forever, had we not known. And it's wonderful that you're such a big fan of roses. When I was at the University all I could think about and worry about were my classes. I had no concept of gardening or roses or daylight even, spending all my hours in the dark of Studio and all-nighters haha! You did it the right way! Sunshine and roses, lol! Florence I just love, love, love! your Find the Flo photo. Your smile just lights up the roses as you peek from amidst like a "heart amidst the flowers" and the photo below that is very sweet and lovely too! As Juliet and Debbie say you are such a beautiful, kind lady! Renee, that is a very nice thread and I'm very happy you brought it here! I found you and Carla17, but we are missing most of Beth's mentioned oldtimers and there's no more Boxofrox photo links in that thread either...We need our Boxofrox right? lol! And seeing Nick and Florence is a real treat for us! Nick came around the same time as Jim and I, and I've always been curious as to the JeffCat who loves Evelyn so much! I will always remember this, hehe! P.S. Nick, I love the photos and log you are keeping of the all-organics garden. This is another wonderful treat of yours...
    ...See More

2008 Roll-call!

Q

Comments (152)
    I was curious when I saw this post as to how long I've been hanging around - my page says November, 2001, but I think it's actually longer than that. I know at one point I paid for at least a year's membership. I found this board via the craft forum, although I hardly ever go there anymore. I live in Lompoc, CA which is smack dab in the middle of the Central Coast - halfway between San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. We moved here about three years ago due to a job change for my DH, after having lived in Sonoma County in Northern California for most of our lives. It was quite a change, and there's been some adjusting to make, but overall it was a good move for us. And I guess I can't complain about moving from one wine country area to another :-) Between us we have five children, ranging in age from 13-26, although thankfully they're all on their own now except for our 13yo son. No empty nest problem here LOL. Both of my stepdaughters got married last summer, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before we get our first grandbabies :-) My passions are cooking and quilting - I love to try new recipes, and I've gotten lots of good ones from here. At one point I thought I might have a second career in the Culinary Arts (my first was in Mortgage Banking for over 20 years), but I quickly came to the conclusion that nobody should have to work that hard, and I wanted cooking to be fun, not a job. But I did end up with great knife skills LOL. My other passion is quilting - I finally have the time to pursue that interest, and I love it! I'm involved with my local Guild, and spend a fair amount of time making quilts to be donated to local cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy treatments. I had a breast cancer scare myself last year, so I'm thankful that I'm able to give something to people who are in need of some comfort. This got quite a bit longer than I intended - it's surprising how much you can find to say when you really intended to keep it brief :-) Becky
    ...See More

Introductions

Q

Comments (43)
    Hi everyone, glad to meet all of you. I too just found this forum, Im usually on the gardening forum but I have been busy scrapbooking for the past month! Glad I stopped in! My name is Pam and I live in the Chicago area with my husband Glenn and dog Snickers our only Daughter is away at College. Glenn and I are both retired but still work a couple day a week as consultants. I started scrapbooking about a month ago and have become totally addicted ......worse than my gardening addiction!!!! And that's bad! But I love it, hubby asks if I'm going to take my scrapin stuff out in the yard during the summer to work on both hobbies...I laugh and say... maybe :o). But I can't believe how much money I have spent on supplies etc. But I will definately use everything I have. I started with my Daughters baby pictures and am working my way up thru the years. Some of the picture are pretty bad (due to my photo taking skills at that time) but I have gotten better over the years. My main objective is to get to the heritage photos but that will be awhile. Well happy scrappin to all of you, hope to visit again soon otherwise I'll be scrappin away!!!
    ...See More
  • vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I'm Vicky wife of Darryl for 22 years. We have 6 children ranging from 31 to 13. I have been quilting for 18 years now. I took several years off in the middle there but for the last three years I have been quilting non stop. I have been a member here for a little over three years.
    Besides quilting I home school my children, read, love gardening, and I'm a wife, mother and grandmother. I have 9 grandchildren, 2 boys and 7 girls. My relationship with God and family is very important to me.
    We do have pets, two dogs well one dog, Figaro a lab mix, mutt type dog, Then Tillie she is more like a small horse living in my little house (I call her a beast)she is a Labradoodle, a 14 year old cat, much loved my one daughter here and soon to have more chickens :-) I love chickens (My family thinks I'm crazy)

Vicky

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

Hi there I'm Susan. I am a regular on another forum on the Garden Web (KT) and when I started quilting last November I found this group of great ladies and gents. I live in Culver City, a town in Southern California. I am 63 and have been single for 14 years now after being married for almost 30 years! I love my life and I currently work at a local University but will retire this July 1st. I have only been quilting for 6 months and I'm passionate about it and enjoy trying to learn everything I can. I plan on taking some classes when I have the time later in the summer. I am a fabric nut and I love the feel, colors and everything about fabric and the beautiful prints. I have made 3 quilts, the first one being for my grandson's first birthday last December. I have a daughter and a wonderful son-in-law that live nearby. I can't wait to have more time to clean and arrange my "creativity room" so I can do more quiliting. I also love to paint in watercolor and I've made handmade cards that I give to people for special occasions.

I love this forum and check in every morning as I sip my coffee before heading off to work. Oh, I don't have a pet at this time; I had a kitty (Paisley) who was 15 but joined the others at the Rainbow Bridge about a year ago. I miss having a furry ball of love and am thinking of adopting another cat after I retire, (although I must say it's nice not to have cat hair all over everything.)

My sincere thanks to all of you who have been so welcoming to me since I joined this wonderful group.

Susan

• barbaratx
    15 years ago

I'm Barbara living in Austin, TX (grew up in New England). I get together once a month with a small group I met when I took my first quilting class in 1993 - one is the instructor who taught us and one is someone I worked with who took the class with me.
    Married almost 39 years, 2 grown children, 2 grandchildren. I enjoy different crafts and going to garage sales. One time I got a 12 inch square omigrid ruler for 25 cents. I check this forum every day, but rarely post.

• bozogardener
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Tamie.

I live in Montana and have quilted for about 6 years. I am entirely self-taught, and I also promised myself I would finish one project before starting another. That being said, I am quilting one project (bargello) and have finished a baby quilt top that needs to be sandwiched and quilted (baby due in June!).

I have been married for nearly 29 years, no kids, two sweet cats, and am a business owner. I have always enjoyed this forum, and have participated in two birthday block groups. I am taking a break this year.

• hablano
    15 years ago

Hi I'm Darlene and I have belonged to Gardenweb for awhile but not this part. I live in Columbus, Ohio married almost 45 yrs. and have a daughter 42. Also a Cairn terrier Maggie and a cat we adopted Pancho.
    I made a few quilts years ago and recently (last Year) took it up again. I belong to a lot of forums and have learned so much on the internet.
    I am mostly into mini quilts and wallhangings now but have made two bedsize quilts a long time ago.
    My other passtion is crocheting doilies and anything in thread.
    Pleased to meet all of you

• lindaoh_gw
    15 years ago

Hi, I am Linda and I live in northwest Ohio. I have been married for almost 40 years (September) and have 2 children (both married). Our DD lives in Gahanna, OH near Columbus and our DS lives in Indianapolis, IN. No grands yet and no pets at this time. Our 14 year old black lab mix died last year. Like Susan, I don't miss the pet hair but I do miss my dog.
    I have been quilting for about 10 years now. I started a quilt group at my church that has about 12 active members. I also belong to a guild in a neighboring city. It has about 125 members this year.
    I only had one sewing machine when I started quilting but now have collected several more, each with its own purpose.
    I have a short arm quilting system that I use for my own quilts and those of the small quilt group.
    I have done lots of different crafts in the past but now am only interested in quilting.
    Linda OH

• byrdseay
    15 years ago

My name is Alice. I live in Newport News,Va which is between Williamsburg and Norfolk. I have been quilting since 1997. I like to make traditional blocks/quilts.
    I have been married for 32 years. We have two adult children and two grandchildren.
    I am a special education teacher and have been teaching for 27 years. I enjoy crocheting,cooking, traveling, reading, and meeting new people.
    I don't post much on the forum but I read it everyday. I have learned a lot from the people here and look forward to going to a retreat, if I can work it into my schedule.

• mamabear4
    15 years ago

I am another member from Ohio. I live in Cincinnati with my spouse of almost 56 years. Yep, I am an old lady...75 years old, but girls, don't count me out because of my age.
    My family of 4 is raised and I don't have a lot of responsibility for other people, so I have time to do pretty much as I please. That's quilting!

Just over a year ago I bought a GMQ-Pro frame and mid-arm quilting machine and am producing about 2 dozen quilts a year for charities. I have sewn for so many years that it is second nature to me. I sew part of every day.

I have friends at Curves who bring me bags of scraps and some yardage. I enjoy making something out of other people's cast offs. Makes me feel like I am helping to keep those scraps out of the landfills.

Glad to meet the rest of you who have re-introduced yourselves. I have been around several years, but don't write too often. You girls are great!

June in Cincinnati

• shannonmomof4
    15 years ago

My name is Shannon and I live in Horseheads which is in upstate New York. My mother (vicky4x4) first taught me how to quilt about 12 years ago but I've really gotten into more in the last two years or so.
    I have been married for fourteen years to my husband Scot and we have four lovely (or monstrous depending on the moment)children. Scoty-13, Abigail-11, Emma-8 and Jenavieve will be 4 in June. I homeschool all of the children in the day and keep many of my evenings busy with church activities so most of my quilting gets done in the night after they are all tucked into bed. Sometimes I steal a day away at my mom's and we just quilt for a whole day- like a little mini-vacation!
    I do check the forum almost daily but rarely post-I will work on that. My other hobbies include scrap booking and when I can squeeze it in - sleeping!
    Shannon

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Hi there, I'm Mary. (Somehow, I feel the phrase "I'm a quiltoholic" coming out of my keyboard.)

I'm retired at 51, just because my husband is retired, too, and we want to be together. He supports my quilting habits, and I support his gardening habits. We live in Bee Cave, Texas. We prefer to think we are NOT a suburb of Austin, but really, we are.

I've been here on the quilting forum since it's inception. There have been hissy fits, blowups, and all sorts of stuff on this forum, and somtimes people leave in a huff. It's sad, but most of us do remain to keep the forum alive.

I make quilts for family and friends, but I also make Quilts of Valor for wounded soldiers.

Lets just try to keep the forum welcoming to newcomers!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Hello, I'm Sharon and live in Florida...about 70 miles north of Tampa close to the Gulf. I lived in Michigan for 43 years and then an Amish area of Indiana for 14 years before moving to Florida in 1997 when DH retired. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary March 28th and we have 3 daughters (the oldest is Salijo on this forum), 2 sons-in-law, 2 ex-SIL, 11 grandchildren and 4 great-grands. We joined GardenWeb early in 1997 and I can tell you, there's a lot of water under that bridge.

After doing a lot of other crafts, I started dabbling in quilting around 1979 and when moving to Indiana in 1983, began quilting in earnest and have been ever since. I think I prefer traditional blocks but also like to applique and will try other blocks and techniques until deciding if I really want to do it or not. I like to read mysteries and be on the computer.

We have no pets....that part of our lives are over and I couldn't be happier about it. It's bad enough DH has to get someone to babysit his bonsai if we're gone more than a day. One reason why he stays home and I gad about when I can.

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Geraldine from Newfoundland, Canada. I've been a member for 2 (or is it 3?) years. I don't post as much as I used to, because I'm a lot busier these days, but I check in every day. I'm 57, married for almost 34 years. My husband is retired and a son of 21 still lives with us while completing a university degree in engineering.Our home is also blessed with a wonderful dog-11 years old-a small black lab mix, who keeps us busy and laughing. I quilt and garden as hobbies and do most quilts for friends and relatives. I also like reading, walking, working on my family tree, and doing puzzles(logic problems are my favorites). This is a great forum although lately it has been a bit slow.I hope to post more once the fall season arrives.Meanwhile,I'll keep coming here for inspiration and to seek help and to see what others are doing. I would like to say thanks to all the members for making the forum a great part of my day.

Happy Quilting!!!

~Geraldine

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

Hi, my name is Geri and I'm from upstate NY -- specifically Rotterdam which is a suburb of Schenectady. I've been married for nearly 46 years and retired now for about three years. I started sewing when I was 18 and mostly self taught with a couple of classes here and there and made some clothing for the children as they came along, and then crib ensembles and clothing for grandchildren as they came along. I can't even remember when I started really quilting, but I have been on this forum since the Spike days when I paid my $15 to join as I thought this forum was so worthwhile and easy to maneuver. I've never taken a quilting class but would really love to some day. I've read many books and magazines and get much inspiration from you ladies here and there is so much info out there on the internet that can really keep you going. I have so much fabric, that I'm trying to use up as much as I can before I have to buy more. I've inherited some of it, and when people know you quilt they give it to you, plus I always manage to find great deals at all kinds of venues when traveling. I did participate in many fat quarter swaps on this forum to build up my stash and I was in the birthday block exchange for two years but I'm taking a break now because I have so much built up. I check the forum several times a day -- don't post too much but now and then. I love the question of the day. I also like to garden and make jewelry which is my 2nd great passion next to quilting. I'm also trying to work out three days a week. We have three grown children and seven grandchildren and one great grand on the way, for which I'm already in the planning stages of a crib quilt and tote bag. I would like to thank you all for your great inspiration and ideas and links to great websites with more ideas and patterns. I also enjoy all the pictures of your finished projects and thanks to those of you who are very computer literate, I've learned about photobucket and how to post my photos. Anyway, I know the forum has slowed down a lot and yes there have been quite a few broo- ha ha's. We all go through different stages in life, there are peaks and valleys, however this forum remains one of the first things I do every morning when I check my mail, I check the forum.

Happy Quilting all and have a great day.

Geri

ps I would love to come to that quilt retreat some day, if I could talk my husband into it:)

• lluvtoquilt
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. My name is Beverly and I live in San antonio, TX - originally from Massachusetts. I live with my husband of 20 years (my second marriage) and my black lab mix, Mandy who is our spoiled little "baby". My children are all grown but my son, DIL, 9 month old granddaughter live just down the street. My daughter also lives nearby and she is getting married to a great guy in september. I also have a stepdaughter and granddaughter and stepson who all live out of state.

I retired about 8 years ago. I worked for the civil service since my husband was in the military and we moved quite often. I took a quilting class shortly after retiring and I love traditional quilts and am hooked on the reproduction fabrics of the civil war era and before. I also love to do hand applique. I make baby quilts, wallhangings and queen size bed quilts. I do my own FmQ on my sewing machine.

I also love to read, cook, garden, embroider and crochet. I am just starting a child's redwork quilt for my 4 year old stepgranddaughter.

I don't often post either but do check in almost every day. Enjoy seeing what everyone else is creating.

• Kristene Smith
    15 years ago

G'day! I'm Kristene from Australia. I live in a city called Orange, in the Central West of NSW. I was introduced to this site by an American friend who is a member. She knew I liked to quilt, so told me about the birthday block swap when there was a need for a replacement in the Calico Queens group last year. I really enjoy the Birthday Block swaps, as I get to try so many different patterns I would never have tried before. Gives me ideas for the future!

I am 57 and have been married for 38 years to my husband, Cyril. We have 2 children. Kelly-Anne is 36 and is currently working in Abu Dhabi for the UAE Government in Tourism. Jay is 34 and lives in Ballarat, Victoria (10 hours by car away). He is married with 2 boys- Connor 8, and Oliver 6 - and he works for the Taxation Department.

I have always been doing many crafts all my life. that's why I chose Infants teaching as a career, since there is so much handwork involved. I do scrapbooking, card & envelope making, leadlight and copper foil work, knitting, crocheting, made the children's clothes when they were little, puppets,paper making, screen printing and patchwork and quilting. I adore doing applique, paper piecing, sashiko quilting and traditional block work. My quilting has been influenced by the year I spent in Japan teaching English. I brought back lots of material and friends send me more. Plus every 2-3 years I return to visit friends and buy more material! So I have made - mostly by hand - a Japanese family crests quilt which is King size and using applique, sashiko quilting and crazy patchwork. It has taken 4 years to complete, by hand, in between bouts of my illness. Will post a photo soon.

I have only been quilting 5 years - joined a beginners class when I retired due to ill health. I have Myasthenia Gravis - a rare disease that affects muscle control. So when I was really bad, I couldn't walk, talk clearly, had blurred vision and no strength in my hands. That's why it took s long to finish. But quilting has helped me get through and now I'm in remission. I now belong to a quilting group who meet every Wed in a hall to sew all day. Our group makes quilts for our hospital's Oncology Ward - to be given to patients when they first are diagnosed and come into hospital. They bring it with them each time they have to come in - their's to keep. So the Birthday Blocks I receive I use to make my hospital quilt contribution each year, thus making it even more special since there are blocks from overseas quilters. I put each quilter's name on the label to acknowledge their work.

We have 2 Burmese cats (Iseult and Nimue)- who love to cuddle up close - and a Border Collie x Kelpie dog called Toby. the cats are mine & the dog my husband's.

We are currently building a new house in Orange, with my own large craftroom! I certainly need it!

Kristene

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Beverly, what a small world. I'm Beverly, born in Bourne Mass, lived in San Antonio from 64-72. Interesting.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

It's wonderful to meet all of you that are fairly new to the forum! Everyone is welcome!
    Teresa

• polardream
    15 years ago

Hi all, I'm Sue and live in Fort Collins, Colorado.
    I've been married to DH, Tobey for 29 years. I was born in Iowa & lived in Phoenix & Minneapolis for a time. And like Mary Somehow, I feel the phrase "I'm a quiltoholic" coming out of my keyboard!!!
    Our son, Tyler is 23+, and currently living at home after graduating with an engineering degree. He was traveling much with his job until the budget cuts ... now unemployed!
    DH is retired, coming up on 5 years. I currently teach junior high social studies & language arts ... considering retirement too! We have a bundle of energy miniature Australian shepherd, Penny, who is almost 2. Our son just got a Siberian husky puppy, Max. I was hoping to have grandkids before granddogs ... oh well.

My mom started me quilting about 17 years ago on "quilter-friendly" preprint panels (handquilting). I love piecing and have more UFOs than you can shake a stick at. Sharon's new goals post has gotten me off my duff & trying to finish some things! I'm not fond of applique and struggle with paper piecing but am willing to try most anything. I am a fabriholic and have boxes of fabric I can't bear to cut! yikes. I machine and hand quilt & I do like using black fabric in lots of quilts.

Besides quilting I love to travel and have been to 6 of the 7 continents -and no desire to go to Antarctica! I also like scrapbooking & photography. Someday I will make it to Churchill, Canada to see the polarbears in the fall (my polardream!)

I love this forum and usually try to check what is going on even though I don't always get to post!

Sue

• salijo
    15 years ago

My name is Sally and I've been a member of this forum since last summer (I think). I (sorta) quilted years and years ago, usually made pillows and a few baby quilts; but I never really adapted to the "quilting" part of it...I mostly just love fabric! I'm a "color" person! So I went on to a myriad of other hobbies throughout the years.

Recently I decided to give quilting another shot and maybe try some machine quilting, using the quilt as you go method. I haven't really started any quilts yet because of family situations, but I joined a birthday swap and I'm loving it.

My mother is SharonG (geezerfolks) in Florida. I was born and raised in Michigan and have lived in Northern Indiana for almost 21 years. Currently I work as a graphic designer for a cleaning chemical manufacturer. I am a single parent of two grown and married sons and I've had four beautiful grandchildren .. three girls and one boy. Two of the girls were born last year, but we lost one of our babies in December to Congenital Heart Disease. Some of the ladies on this forum just put together a beautiful memory/comfort quilt for me and I love it...I know the people who frequent here are genuine and caring people.

Needless to say, I've been in a huge funk lately ... whoops, I think this was for a different thread! Well anyway, I've really relied on making the birthday blocks to get me to do something...anything. And I've really enjoyed it, even though I'm not very good yet!

Salijo

• hablano
    15 years ago

Shannonmomof4 I have 2 friends who live in Horseheads Ginger and Pam Bates. We are on some crochet forums together.

• linnylou
    15 years ago

My name in Linda and this is the first time I've been to this site. I've been sewing since I was 10 yrs old. I am 53, married for 30 yrs and have a son 27 and a daughter 23. My precious pup is 14 this year. I live in Rochester Hills, Mi a suburb of Detroit. My husband and I built a cottage in upper Michigan which we call our Happy Place. I hope to live there someday. Hubby is a designer but has been laid off since last Nov. MI not the best place to be in this economy. Luckily I have a great administrative job at Oakland University.
    I have been quilting for probably 20 years but have really gotten serious the last few years. I would love a LA because I make mostly Kings and Queens. My dream is to own a quilt shop so I could do it every day.

• jackier123
    15 years ago

Hi, I am Jackie. I have been on the forums for quite a few years, but on this one about a year. I live in Cleveland, TN. I was divorced while raising my 23 year old son, but married my elementary school sweetheart 4 years ago. My son will be graduating from MTSU in Murfreesboro TN in May.

I work full time in the IT field and teach at the local ITT Tech 2 nights a week. I started quilting about a year ago. I have always loved quilts and finally have the time to do it now that I finally finished my Masters degree.

I am still learning new things in quilting and love to read the posts here. I belong to the Bobbin Babes Birthday Block group and am really enjoying it. I am working on some landscape quilts at the moment. I love threadpainting and free motion quilting.

Jackie

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Hi All -

I'm Bonnie, 64-yrs. old, celebrating my 42nd anniversary later this summer. DH and I have sons ages 34 and 30 and a wonderful daughter-in-law. We're both retired teachers- DH for 12 years and me for 7. We started remodeling a lakefront home in northern Michigan the year I retired and moved into it 2&1/2 years later after selling our home of 30+ years in southern Michigan. We keep active walking, kayaking, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, golfing (mostly DH), and gardening (mostly me.) Our two Labs - big chocolate Bailey and little yellow Murphy - keep us from having a totally empty nest.

I started sewing on my mother's treadle Singer with only junior high home ec and Mom as my instructors. There were many quilters in my family, but I didn't get into that until the 1970's, when I made and hand quilted a scrappy 8-pointed star appliqued quilt. I didn't know enough to start on something simple! It's still around somewhere and would be a hands-down winner in any ugly quilt contest. Next I made and hand quilted baby quilts for our sons - 1974 and 1978. Those weren't too bad. After that, I didn't quilt again until my SIL introduced me to rotary cutting and Eleanor Burns's piecing methods. Then I couldn't stop!! I made and tied many queen and king log cabin, Irish chain, and lover's knot quilts before my back started complaining about bending to cut and tie so many knots. Now I have a little attic sewing room that I've pretty much filled up with a Grace Pro frame and Janome 1600P machine. After two years of use, I'm pretty comfortable with this set-up and have completed seven queen quilts and four crib-size using a combination of freehand scrolls or meandering mixed with pantographs. Notice that I said "comfortable" - not good!! The last three I've quilted (queen, xlength double and crib) were from the two birthday block groups I joined in 2007. My goal is to someday be caught up on UFO's!

I first joined Garden Web as a winter sower. Although I still practice the technique and have beds full of great perennials to show for it, I'm mostly a lurker there now. I don't have anything new to offer, but that is another wonderful group of people - all so friendly and helpful, as everyone here has been. My other crafting hobbies include knitting, crocheting, counted cross stitch, and basket weaving.

I want to welcome all of the new members. This is a great place to visit and learn. Activity comes and goes with the seasons, but there is always someone ready to offer support.

Bonnie

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Bonnie, winter sowing is what got me on these forums in the first place. Today I transplanted 8 basil starts from seed that I WS!

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Hello to everybody, my name is Pat, 47 yrs old, and I'm a long separated but recently divorced mother of two sons 14 and 16 yrs old. I've been disabled for about five years from being an anesthesiologist, mostly with arm/hand weakness. I couldn't crochet anymore, but for whatever reason I can hand sew and hand quilt for hours (especially if there's dishes to wash and laundry to do.)

I really enjoy spending scads of money on beautiful fat quarters, more than I could quilt up in another five years.

I share with my mom who is an expert seamtress and knitter. She's doing a GMFG by hand, without papers or anything, with two inch hexagons. So far as I can tell, it's done with extreme magnification so that seams can be placed according to counting the threads. Every point is perfect!

I have a black Cathedral's Window and a charm Applecore that I work on. I've only completely done one baby quilt--it took me four solid months. I inherited a wonky queen size Double Wedding Ring top my grandmother made from my play clothes. With the perfection thing running strong in my family, it was never quilted because it was too wonky. Pffft! I have a Grace EZ frame partially set up, thinking I'll quilt it while I'm still learning to get practice. I think my grandmother would be pleased!

I also raise and hybridize daylilies, as my parents have a daylily farm. I make very simple beaded jewelry, and collect perfumes and wear a fragrance every single day.

I've enjoyed this forum very much, and give a big welcome to all here that are even newer than me. :)

• mayme
    15 years ago

Hi. My name is Mayme and I live in West Michigan. I'm
    really enjoying this thread. I've been quilting since
    the early 70's. Before rotary cutters! My first quilts were all cut with scissors and hand pieced. I've come a long way baby! I quilt with a Grace frame with a Juki on
    it. I love scrap quilts the best.Good thing as I have
    lots of FQ'S. In the beginning those seemed to be the
    best way to get a lot of different fabric for my money.
    I've curbed my buying and am trying to use what I have.
    I do still buy but not so much. Now I want to know what I'm going to do with it. Befor I bought because.I like to garden and love garden junk. I also like to read. I knit
    and crochet a little and have started embroidering some. I've been married 43 years come June. Have 5 grown kids, 7 grands and 1 great grandson. I like to travel but DH doesn't so I keep my trips limited to visits to my niece in VA. She is a quilter so we spend all our time sewing.
    Sometime I would love to join the girls at Camp Cherrio.
    Mayme

• csackett
    15 years ago

My name is Carolyn and I live in NE Texas. Recently divorced (2nd time - but I've learned my lesson.) In August I bought at older home near my work and am fixing it up. Today I put in my dining room light fixture. I do manage to make time for quilting. I was blessed to be accepted into a quilting group, "Scrappy Ladies." I've learned so much and the group is a wonderful therapy for me. I have one son in college. I've been on the forum for along time. I teach school so during the school year I lurk more than post. I enjoy everyone's posts and comments and have learned a lot from this forum. I hope it always continues.
    Carolyn

• sondray
    15 years ago

Howdy!
    My name is Sondra and I live in Virginia. I have 6 kids, 4 sons, and 2 daughters ages 17-29. I have been sewing for over 20 years. Just started quilting, and love it. I also machine embroider.

• karpet
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I'm Karlene and I live in Geneseo, NY - just south of Rochester. I've been married 21 years and have a 20 yr old daughter in college and a 16 yr old daughter - both living at home. We moved here from Parker, CO 8 years ago and it was like going back 20 years through a time warp. We live in an old farm house with a big barn.

We have an indoor cat who has been the girls' best buddy for 13 years, and we had 2 barn cats who are our welcoming committee as we come and go. We just lost one of them last month and that has left a sad/lonely spot for us and for his buddy cat. But this last Thur. we went to a local shelter and my youngest DD fell in love with 2 kittens. I was a little nervous coming home with 2 when DH was expecting 1, but it has all worked out great. And best of all, our adult barn cat has been great with them - he doesn't love them yet, but I'm sure he will.

I have sewn since 4th grade when my Iowa Grandma bought me a Kenmore sewing machine. I started quilting when my oldest DD was a baby and my Bible Study leader showed some of us how to do a log cabin quilt-in-a-day. It's amazing that as the girls get older I have more time to quilt in the evening. My DH bought me a Janome 6500 for Christmas a few years ago and that greatly increased my productivity.

I work part-time as a church secretary which works out great because I am home when my youngest gets on the bus, and she can get off at the church when I finish up. I also have the freedom to make those unexpected mom-to-the-rescue trips, like: Mom, can you bring me another pair of jeans - someone just stepped on my hem and it tore up to my knee!; Hon, can you bring my other drill battery to the job site - I just dropped on off the ladder; Mom, I just came out of class and my tire it flat! Can you help me?!!!

Sorry for rambling. See what happens when I post? That's why I mostly lurk!

• mickymae
    15 years ago

Hello Ladies ! First time I've been on your forum .Everyone is so friendly I had to chime -in. So surprised to see all the ladies from OHIO ! HELLO OHIO ! Sorry didn't mean to yell!I'm married let's see for 36 years come June.We have 2 sons both married .Both lived 4 hours away but my oldest son moved back to town with wife and baby (that's great)---------oh yes I'm grammy Mick to 3 beautiful grandchildren.no pets our sweet german shorthaired passed away this week so we are trying to get use to life without her.
    I have been quilting for for 33 years off and on.But I'm able to get back to it now. As my 87 year old father-in-law has been living with us for 5 years and now needs someone here with him------so that's me.I Have at least 10 quilts ready to quilt and others in various stages.
    Love gardening and have lots of houseplants (cactus,hoyas and others).Enjoy cooking ,antiquing (can't do too much of that with taking care of father-in-law).Thanks for listening to me love this forum !

• smileagram
    15 years ago

Hi there, my name is Lea, and I am guilty of being a lurker here for quite some time. I live in the MO Ozarks and have lived here most of my life. My husband of 42 years and I have been retired almost 9 years now. I have two grown daughters, three grandkids, and two spoiled Yorkies. I started quilting a few years ago when I discovered the Stroll the Block monthly block of the month. I did finish that and a couple more and now have three in the works. I mostly enjoy quilts using applique and embroidery. I have learned a lot from you ladies and continue to pick up quite a few tips.
    I also enjoy gardening and reading and fishing. We have a lake cabin on Tablerock Lake about 45 minutes from where we live and spend a lot of time there.
    Keep up all the good information.

• lynn06
    15 years ago

Hi,
    It's Lynn from Minnesota. I have been a member of this forum for the past three years. I don't post much but love to check in and see what every one else is up to. I still consider myself a beginner. I have never made anything bigger than a baby quilt and my husband keeps asking me when I'm going to make something larger.
    My husband and I just had our 27th anniversary last week. We have two grown married children and four sweet little granddaughters. I do long hours of childcare in our home so I don't seem to find much time to quilt. We own a small hobby farm where we have some horses and two dogs.
    We are getting excited, our snow is almost all gone. It's not that we don't enjoy the snow but we are looking forward to some warmer spring weather now.
    Lynn

• judylee59
    15 years ago

Hi! My name is Judy and I have been a member of this forum for several years. I still consider myself a "rookie" and have learned so much from this wonderful group. I have participated in the birthday block exchanges, the block lotto, as well as several swaps that were hosted in the past. I don't post very often but I usually check in every day. I LOVE to make quilt tops, but I'm not so crazy about the quilting part, although I think I'm getting better at it. I live in Western NY and can't wait to be in the garden. I have been married for 25 years and have 3 wonderful boys-2 in college and 1 in high school. I'm a Kindergarten teacher-the best job in the world, and I'm on vacation this week! Nice to meet you all!

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Just thought I'd post a pic of me, Gwen and DH, Rob 12/08. I've been quilting/sewing/reparing for many years. DH is building a wonderful sturdy bookcase for all my quilting stuff...or some of it anyway. Enjoy this forum so much, but haven't been quilting too much lately. Check in daily and have learned from so many wonderul QF Friends! Hope to meet more of you at the Fall Retreat! It would be wonderful to see you in person!
    Thanks!
    Gwen

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gwen!! A wonderful picture of you and Rob! (And Amanda recognizes the tangerines behind you! lol)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Gwen, You and Rob are a couple of cuties and look just like I remember!!!!

Sharon

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Tangerines????? in December????? Ohhhhhh, that's cruel! I think you need to find a way to preserve some and bring them to the Retreat!

Teresa

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Actually, that was our version of "American Gothic" ! LOL

Wish we could have some of those delicious December tangerines today!...and I'd bring them to the quilt retreat, if I could!

Amanda, you got it right! Way to go, Little One!
    Thanks Sharon!

Gwen

• chickie1
    15 years ago

My name is Darlene and I live in a coastal town (Swansboro) in NC. I have been married for 29 years and have two grown daughters, 26 and 24. Both are out on their own with no husbands or children...just nice boyfriends. I have a five year old boxer named Zoe and two cats that drie me crazy.I have been quilting off and on for about 25 years. I started doing more quilting about 2 years ago when I met a quilt instructor at the school I teach at (I will retire after 30 years on June 15). I have found I love to piece quilt tops but make myself quilt them on the machine. I have turned the upstairs loft into my "studio". Really it's my getaway. I have a good friend that's my quilt buddy. We have taken one class together but are looking for other classes to expand what we know. We enjoy looking at fabric, picking out patterns and exchanging magazines. I have trouble picking fabric for my quilts. I hope to figure it out someday. I don't usually post anything but have gotten a lot of good info from y'all.

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Faye (^_-),

I used to be here every single day, but lately I'm lucky to pop in for a quick read a few times a week. :( Sometimes stuff happens in life to take you away from what you really would rather be doing.)

I've been in the birthday swaps for several years and this year is the first one I've skipped (due to above mentioned 'stuff') and I have to tell you, I really miss being forced to make those blocks. Now, my sewing machine is buried under piles of ripped hems, shirts with missing buttons, etc. That's not what she's for.....

Anyway, married 30 years, 3 kids, youngest leaving for school this fall, system administrator for 22 newspapers for 22 years, desperately wants to be retired, from east coast Canada, planning on attending the NC retreat (again).

So that's me in a nut shell (and I often feel like a nut in a shell).

Looking forward to seeing the gang again, and meeting anyone else who comes. You really should, if at all possible.

Cheers
    Faye

• nana_2009
    15 years ago

Greetings from Canada.. Winnipeg Manitoba to be exact. I have just joined the group in the last few months. I started quilting at the age of 5...watched my Grandmothers, Mother and assorted aunts quilt over the years and now that I have retired and have time...I have started again. I am married to a wonderful man and his attitude to quilting is "what ever makes you happy". We both lost our spouses to cancer in the last 20 years and met as Scout Leaders at our church. Between the two of us..we have five wonderful children and 4 grandbabies. I am always interested in learning new techniques as well as the old techniques from yesteryears. This is the first forum I have been on..so if I mess up please understand.....

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Helllllllllllo everyone, my name is Rosa, DH is Joe, user name rosa is very popular, thus the name rosajoe LOL!
    2 grown children (boy and girl) and 2 absolutely perfect grandgirls. I grew up a a small rural town in GA, moved to FL at 17, moved back to the small town after retiring.
    The area has grown, the Internet helps, but I can certainly relate to 'time warp' and 'going back in time' LOL!
    My family is big and I have a lot of relatives here, but I left my 2 DGD's (my sewing buddies) in Orlando, FL. That was hard!!!!!
    I taught myself to quilt and I love to hand quilt. I also love to garden, crochet, knit, and I can't wait until the tomatoes are here! I also can food as a hobby, I grew up with it being called 'put up' too.
    I have been on the forum long enough to remember the 'ups' and some nasty 'downs' but the members are warm and helpful, also talented!
    I have been extremely busy lately but I do love this forum!!
    I feel guilty that I have looked at some beautiful projects and did not take the time to post, but I do try!
    Welcome newbies!
    Rosa

• janice__indiana5
    15 years ago

Hi! I'm Janice from West Central Indiana. Although I lurk mostly(I have trouble with carpel tunnel)I've been around for 3 or 4 years. I've taken part in several swaps. I'm still fairly new to quilting and self taught. I have joined the local quilt guild, which is a great way to learn, and I find it's been an great way to meet new friends that also love to quilt. My husband Steve and I have been married 30 years (come November) and have to great sons. I think the forum has many very talented people who are more than happy to give wonderful advice when needed.

Janice

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Hi I am Deanna from the great state of South Dakota. I haven't had any neighbors posting for a long time. I am married for 30 years and have 2 DD (27 and 23) and a big cat Hugs. I have been sewing blankets/quilts since I got married starting with little baby blankets for friends. I took a break until about 8 years ago and thought I would make quilts for friends kids for graduations and then really got into trouble when my own kids graduated!! My oldest daughter had four close friends so that wasn't too bad but I had established a tradition and my youngest daughter had 10 very close friends---we did it. We are Wal-Mart shoppers and I cheat and use quilted fabric for the back so I don't have to mess with batting. I also tie all my quilts.

But,, I did purchase a Bernina so maybe if I ever get caught up I will learn to quilt. Right now, I am working on wedding quilts for these same friends. I am crazy!!

When I am not at work in a psychiatric hospital as a Recreation Therapist, I enjoy kayaking, working out, scrapbooking, reading and traveling.

Good to keep up with all of you. deanna

• mollie_booklover
    15 years ago

Hi from far northwest Arkansas, though I'm originally a Texan. I'm Mollie a retired librarian and wife of a retired Naval officer. We have an adult boy and girl. We moved 10 times in 25 years which are very few times compared to most military people.
    Taught myself to sew on the machine when my mom bought a White in the 1950s and gave up on her first project. I do most crafts. Started piecing and quilting by hand over thirty years ago and I still prefer that method as it makes me feel close to the quilters in history.
    My quilting buddy is Ankie (aka Freekie) in Holland. We email everyday and share patterns and fabrics. I have visited her three times and she has been to Arkansas once.
    Joined the forum three years ago when it was busier and larger, but I prefer the format of this one rather than the new one.
    I love colors and fabrics and designs, but I don't get much finished, sad to say.

• agoldencomet
    15 years ago

Hello to all you quilt-o-holics!

I am a newbie to the forum, having joined only a few days ago. My RL name is Marilyn but online in am agoldencomet - aka goldie or comet. I came up with this web name as something original - a golden comet is a breed of chicken with feathers the same colour as my red hair! LOL

Now you know (from that spelling of colour) that I am Canadian - from Nova Scotia. I am 62-year-old retired school teacher snowbird, spending 5 1/2 months of the year in Ft Myers beach in Florida.

I have been married to my best friend for only three years, after living together for twenty. Ours was one of the first weddings when same gender marriage was made legal in Nova Scotia. Regretfully, we have no children and thus no grandchildren to quilt for. So I have begun making charity quilts for preemies and also for abused moms and their children. Our only baby was Rudy, our sweet cat, who died last summer at age sixteen from cancer. We miss him desperately and will soon adopt one or more kittens.

I have been quilting for only about three years and am keen to try any style and/or technique I see. My love is stained glass and I have completed ("almost") a queen size SG quilt. All others so far have been lap quilts, children's or UFO's. I am working at building my stash which travels with me north to south in the fall and vice versa in teh spring LOL.

I am so glad to have found your forum and look forward to having lots of fun with you!

goldie
    xoxo

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Goldie, if you are interested in a kitten, one of the members of the Florida Forum recently had a visiting stray present her with 4 beautiful kittens born on Easter morning! They aren't ready to be separated from Mom just yet but they'll be looking for new homes in 6 or 7 weeks. She's in Leesburg so it's a bit of a drive from Ft. Myers, but not too bad.

If you want more information (and pictures!), let me know or look for Nicki on the Florida Gardening Forum.

Kate (in Orlando)
    solstice98@att.net

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I'm Fran and have been off and on the forum for about six years now. My husband of 35 years died two years ago after a long illness and my two single, grown up daughters live and work in NYC. . I live south of Boston with a 14 year old Springer Spaniel named Millie. I am kind of sporadic with my quilting. Right now I have something I don't like on the machine and can't get myself to work on it very often. Maybe I should give myself permission to set it aside. I went to the first quilt retreat at Camp Cheerio and am planning on this year's also. It is really a lot of fun. In addition I've done several swap quilts and birthday block exchanges on the forum.

In addition to quilting, I love to travel, play contract bridge and muck around in the day lily garden.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!