SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Pay cash or not - what would you do in our place?

herus
17 years ago

We are buying an existing home which is worth some 25% more than our current home, where we have lived for over 10 years (bought it new and it's updated, in good shape and in a desirable area). Through frugal living/saving and some luck, we owe only about 20% what the current home is worth and have enough liquidity to pay it off, plus some 30% of the new home. There are no other real estate assets, but there are a few more in near-cash. If we wanted to we could liquidate all those and, combined with the cash reserves, pay outright for both homes. No other debt. The homes are some 10 miles apart and both in good locations.

We are going to buy the home first and move in with only the bare necessities (this part isn't going to change and is not what I am seeking advice about), then spiff up the existing one and market it while it still has our nice stuff in it and looks lived in but shows well. We estimate some 3 months to close on it, given current market conditions. We understand this could be way off, but we have the cash to keep going if need be. Our amortization is at a point where only 50% of the payment is interest, so we build a little equity with each payment. However, as you might gather, it does not fully jibe with our frugal philosophy.

We are considering taking a HELOC on the current home and, along with the cash we have, paying for the new home outright. Then, with the proceeds from the sale, pay off the HELOC some months later.

Second option is to finance the new home with some 35-45% down, then invest the proceeds from the sale of the existing home into funds and interest-bearing accounts, which we already have and will deplete most of to pay for the new home.

Our banker is happy to work with us either way. One notable advantage I see with the HELOC is very low closing costs on the new home, thus saving actual $. However, a HELOC is at around 8%, while a 15 year mge is around 5.5%. Still, the latter is for 15 years, while the former is for a fraction of a year.

I realize I have not stated specific numbers, nor will I. But our loan-to-income ratio will be comfortable under either scenario.

One other thing that attracts me to the HELOC is that, after a few months, no more debt, period. (Of course, the savings from having no mortgage payments would immediately be invested and not spent). OTOH, investing the lump sum may be better. We are in our mid-40s, both in the IT industry and well educated, so any problems with jobs would hopefully be temporary.

I know this is a nice 'problem' to have, but given our careful approach our whole lives (and some rather hard times when we were younger and starting out), I would rather avoid a mistake in this, our most expensive venture to date.

What would you do?

Comments (17)