SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmelko_gw

Value of Maine property??

mmelko
17 years ago

My DH and I have been in the midst of a discussion about setting a reasonable offer on a house in Maine. But we can't figure out how they figure out what is a fair price? He finally blew up today and made some rude comment (not to me) about how realtors refuse to tell you the sq. footage of the houses and he though it was stupid, what are they hiding? We are used to looking at recent sales and figuring the value based on $$ per sq. foot. So when we look at two houses in the same town, they may be priced the same, but they are vastly different in size and style, update if any, amenities and age. While we don't expect the agent to be exact on the sq. ft. size of the home we are told it's too risky to list the size so agents refuse to do it. Here (alabama) they always list the sq. ft. and will put the source next to it in the MLS so you know, it's per owner, per appraisal, per tax records, etc. thus, you know how much weight to give the information. We are about to give up and build at least we would know how much that is per sq. foot.

Is there some magical formula that we are not getting? It doesn't seem to have anything we can grasp onto to determine if the prices are fair - it's a lot like comparing apples to oranges for us.

We are putting an offer in tomorrow on a three unit, but I swear the recent sales in the area that I forced our agent to send us would justify a much lower offer amount - but when we based our first offer on the sales of similar properties in the area - they flat rejected it and didn't even counter. Now we are trying to offer more and then ask for concessions when the inspection comes back. Which I think is convuluted.

Sigh.

Comments (8)