SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

This is not for the faint of heart!

arbpdl
11 years ago

I never knew the whole process could be so emotionally draining. :(

I'm not really posting for any reason other than to vent I guess. There's obviously nothing anyone can do, but it makes me feel a little better to witch about it for a few minutes and I think my family is sick and tired of hearing me talk non stop about this house. I love this house. I want to live in this house until I die and then they can feel free to bury me in the backyard.

That's probably why this process has me so down and discouraged.

After a very rocky negotiation process (foreclosure Fannie Mae, multiple bidders, etc) and a long long wait period to find out if I got it, I was so happy to have this week finally arrive.

I was supposed to close today but that didn't happen. On Friday afternoon, the realtor called to let me know that they hadn't cleared the title yet. He assured me it was no cause for alarm, that it happens all the time and since this closing was super rushed (at the seller's insistence) he wasn't at all surprised.

This morning he called bright and early. When I saw the name on the caller ID I was very excited, hoping he was calling to say they'd finished and I could close today after all.

Instead, he was calling with bad news. Yesterday, Sunday, the locksmith went over to re-key the house (he did a super horrid job but that's another story). When he got there, he heard noise and yelled out to see if someone was there working.

Well, indeed someone was there working, but not for good! A burglar was there and in the process of stripping all of the copper from the house. He'd broken a window to enter and had succeeded in removing each and every water line and was in the process of removing the a.c. tubing and A coil when he was caught red, or should I say copperhanded.

He ran from the back and got away, leaving his treasure in the kitchen floor. A whole $50 ish worth of copper. That wasn't the only thing he left behind though ... in his rush to get out, he forgot his cell phone in the basement. I'm not sure if they caught him yet or not (apparently since I haven't actually closed, none of the details seem to be any of my business in the eyes of the police, sellers, etc).

I spent the morning, sick little girl in tow (no choice), getting bids to repair the damage. It came to just under $4,000.

Of course I can't close now; I don't have $4,000 to fix it and I certainly can't live in a house with no plumbing.

Back to the negotiating table we go. Hopefully they will accept my counter offer of 4K less. There's always a chance they'll reject it and put the house back on the open market.

I can't believe I've made it this far in the process to be right back to what feels like square one.

Comments (24)