SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Need some advice of FR wall art

CaroleOH
16 years ago

First off, here's the latest photo of my Family Room. I've added the two pictures beside the fireplace, a new chenille chair, and a console table with a mirror over it. Now I'm trying to do some accessories, wall art etc...and am not doing very well!

One of the inspiration pieces for my entire FR color scheme was this Paul Ranson print I saw in the Ballard catalog

I was going to originally put it over the console table, but decided that I wanted a mirror there so it helped reflect some light into the room. Plus my console table was almost the same length as the print and I thought it would be too big to put over the table.

So, I ordered a smaller version of the print and was going to have it framed, but decided against that plan in favor of the mirror. Anyways, I still love this print and wanted to use it somewhere in the room. I have a huge high wall behind my entertainment unit that I just sortof ignore, but thought - hey, let's put something on the wall to help decorate the top of the entertainment unit and do something that is a tad different...geez, that's a first for miss conservative here. So, I saw at Art.com that my very favorite print was also available as a tapestry, so wow, what a great idea, I'll hang the tapestry on the wall above the entertainment unit. Great idea, except the tapestry colors are not the same as the original print. Why? I don't know. Where the ground is brown in the print, on the tapestry it's egglplant colored. The paprika/dark orange flowers in the print are a dark burgandy in the tapestry. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. Here's a picture of the tapestry (temporarily tacked to the wall) the print is below just for you to compare the color discrepancies. It's not as noticeable in the photo, but the colors really don't go with the room colors, but I thought well, maybe too much matchy matchy colors is not the way to go.

So, here's my attempt to photoshop the Ballard print onto the wall. It's the same size as the tapestry, but a print stretched onto a wood frame. The colors are too bright vs. what the actual print would be, but in the scheme of the whole room, do you think the Ballard print looks better than the tapestry? The colors would be more like the colors of the print in the bottom part of the photo. I would also redo/remove the greenery and add some other items of height - any ideas on that score would be most appreciated.

Here's a closer photo of the other side of the room with the drapes and my other prints.

I should also mention that the colors on the walls are a bit darker and the drapes/chair etc. are also darker. The flash really distorts reality!

So what would you do? Order the Ballard Print and send back the tapestry, or do something totally different? Do you think it looks odd to have a large print so high up in the room? When you're sitting on the sectional, the actual tapestry as a design element does look good above the bookcase, I just don't know that the colors go with the room. I think the Ballard print colors would go very well with the room, but would a stretched canvas print look ok that high up?

Comments (16)