SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

Art Work - Too Small for Wall?

aimeekm
7 years ago

I recently purchased a new home, and am in the process of making it mine. Some of you may remember my Craftsman home from this green granite, green backsplash kitchen thread.

I've added artwork to the kitchen, but I'm afraid I may have gotten the scale wrong. Is it just me, or is this too small for the space?

I'm really hoping everyone tells me I'm crazy, because this is original, custom artwork, so not returnable!

TIA!

Comments (60)

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I agree, it would probably look better a little lower. I'm hesitant to test out lowering it right now, as the walls are plaster, and nails are a little problematic.

I also agree the light above does not compliment that art, and is throwing it off. It's a shame because it is a nice light and suits the house, just not the artwork. I will probably need to find another spot for the light.

I'm not sure how I feel about the wide stripes. I wanted to have orange as pops of color, and keep the kitchen predominantly green. If the stripe contrasted the art in an olive-y green, that would most likely emphasize the smallness of the art, right?

What about floating the artwork in a substantial frame, and glass only?

Similar to this only without the matting

Like these:

Finally, here is what the PO's had on this wall. I wasn't crazy about the shape, and thought the art should fill the wall more vertically, hence why I went with the rectangular piece I have now. But does this shape work better?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

"May remember". Are you kidding? Green granite green backsplash thread left me longing)) I'll never forget it. Still think about this raven tile..)))

Anyway. I wouldn't frame the picture. I'd go for something vertical, theoretically, or slightly bigger-but it is THIS picture that makes you happy, not some not-yet-existing one. Maybe you'll find it one day, and then you'll switch them places.

What I would do-I'd find a friend for it, as Ingrid suggested. And with great excitement since I love art.

Or maybe not-because as I think about it I have several pictures I feel so very strongly about that I don't want to put anything next to them.

See how you feel about this one.

aimeekm thanked aprilneverends
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Not sure what shade of green you'd want but just to give you an idea...

aimeekm thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • User
    7 years ago

imo, yes this shape is better but the piece looks bigger as well.

aimeekm thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

What was there was better as the frame matched the light so it looked more cohesive.

aimeekm thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

PS yes..in terms of scale only-the previous owner's picture shape worked better.

It has more distance between the frame and the light too.

I still wouldn't frame yours-I don't think it needs a frame. Besides, it will squish it closer to the light.

aimeekm thanked aprilneverends
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

More to come on that green granite, green backsplash thread. Finding time to go to tile shops to get more samples is the challenge.

Thanks for the mock-ups Annie. The first shade of green is more of what I'd like, but I think using a contrasting color makes the art look even smaller.

I really thought the PO's art was too narrow for the space, but the height was better and it certainly fit the light fixture better. That piece was about 24x24 I'm guessing, while mine is 36x18. I'll have to play around with some cardboard mock ups to see what size I think is right. If it comes down to it, I may just have this artist create a very similar piece in a larger scale. Then I would also replace the light, or remove it all together.

Finding a friend might be an option. I could have the artist paint a complimentary piece I'm sure. How would you propose they be hung? Like this maybe?

• John Smith
    7 years ago

What about enhancing the size with something like this?

aimeekm thanked John Smith
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

I would use that art some place else and find another piece for this one.

aimeekm thanked Vertise
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

Agree with the above suggestion to find another spot for the painting. Before you commission another piece, use a template in the space to see what size looks right. That spot doesn't do the art or that wall justice.

aimeekm thanked k9arlene
  • voila
    7 years ago

You could use the wiring for an arced pictured light and a floating frame for the art work. You can attach Masonite board (painted black or gold) to the frame of the art work and then add painted 2X2 trim on top of it.

aimeekm thanked voila
  • starnold
    7 years ago

I'd frame it in exactly the same width and color as the light fixture and then mount it 3" lower. BTW when hanging art on plaster walls screws cause less damage then nails

aimeekm thanked starnold
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Yes, I think the PO's shape worked better. I would prefer longer still.

aimeekm thanked practigal
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone ...

Well, I'm off on vacation. When I get back I will mock up some different sizes, and post the different options.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

I think that the light fixture is totally distracting. Can you replace that with something that will sort of melt into the wall instead of standing out?

aimeekm thanked sushipup1
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah ... the light fixture is going to need to find a new home, I agree it is distracting, I will most likely replace it with simple art lighting, since the hard wiring is already there.

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've been living with this in place for a couple of weeks. I love, love, love the piece, but it's just too small. So I've decided to have a new piece commissioned.

Please help me figure out the right size!

Paintings are for example size only, I won't be using this actual artwork in the kitchen.

36"x28"

40"x26"

40"x30"

48"x26"

I will be replacing the picture light. It clashes w the more contemporary painting. So I'm thinking something like this.

Thoughts please!

• torreykm
    7 years ago

What seems out of kilter to me is the length. I'd like to see the light raised and a longer piece of art. Maybe something really big. Try rotating the cardboard.

aimeekm thanked torreykm
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

It looks too low. I think the light is in a poor position by encroaching on where the art should be hung. A very large piece of art including the area used by the light might work.

Maybe a collage of pieces, to cover more area? But that light would still be in the way.

aimeekm thanked Vertise
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but the first painting measuring 36 x 28 is one that I feel looks better than the one you love (sorry!), very nicely blending into the kitchen (except for the carpet ). To me it just looks as though it belongs there, with of course the other light you're considering above it. The positioning and distance from the light seem perfect. Feel free to ignore my preference; it's your home and you have to feel happy with everything in it.

aimeekm thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • sushipup1
    7 years ago

Everything looks bad with that light fixture. Period. You are beating a dead horse trying to make any piece of art look good under that ugly thing. Sorry to be blunt....

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Maybe do some internet research, or go to an art store and get some information on size of artwork that best fits your size and configuration of space, at what height is artwork best hung and how is that height determined. And then read about art display lights and find out how far above artwork should it be hung and what type is best..

Honestly, that light is just in the wrong place. I would take it out and then start playing with sizes and placements, after you've done some research.

aimeekm thanked blfenton
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

If you replace the light fixture with the one you show, you should be able to hang the art up a bit closer to the light and I think it will look great. Even if the art stays in the same place, it will look fine where you show it, with that new light. There is no way I'd hang art up as high as the existing light (assuming you'd remove it) so I think your light solution with the art placement shown is perfect.

I like the 40 x 30 best.

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I have to agree with sushipup about the light, it does not work at all and what the heck were they thinking when they put a light there? What is its purpose? Could you have it removed and the wall repaired? In the previous owner's picture, it looked fine and complimented their wall hanging but you are going for a totally different decor and it sticks out like a sore toe. It will probably be OK with a new more modern design light fixture with your new more modern painting look. The size of wall art in the previous owners decor looked right for that area. Also, the angle of their photo gives a better idea of how the art work looks. In your photos(straight on), it looks as if the art is too low, which I do not think that it is the case if you look at the refrigerator for an idea of the actual height of the art work. Art work is supposed to be at your eye's level.

aimeekm thanked arkansas girl
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Have you considered incorporating the light into a large backlit art piece? Google "backlit art" for examples.

aimeekm thanked practigal
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I definitely agree that the oddball light needs to go. How about this - get some kind of pendant light hanging from the ceiling but close to the wall and over the painting. That would give a more vertical feel to the wall overall.

Edit to add picture:

aimeekm thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • sunfeather
    7 years ago

This is sort of off topic but would the refrigerator door damage the painting if it were to swing open too quickly?

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok ... it's unanimous, the light has to go, and go now!

I'll see if I can get it down myself and post up some new sizing samples!

ingrid - the painting you liked has a happy home in my dining area, I'll post it up when I get it hung, and I think you'll like it even better there. And thanks for giving me permission to not take advice, I appreciate it!

littlebug - I wish there was a way to incorporated a pendent or pendent grouping. But there is actually a ceiling heght ispice pull out on the other side of the fridge that a pendent would interfere with

practigal - Oh, the back lighting looks nice, I don't think I can incorporate that with this painting/artists work though.

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok .... here we go

36x36

48X36

48x26

• torreykm
    7 years ago

How about 36x48?

aimeekm thanked torreykm
  • PRO
    Brian M Hays
    7 years ago

Yep. I agree it's the shape more than anything. I'm liking the 36 x 36 format. When you go bigger, like the 36 x 48, the narrowness of the space feels like you're missing out on seeing the entire piece. It's a tough situation, but approaching a square aspect ratio and upwards of 3 x 3' and you're good.

aimeekm thanked Brian M Hays
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here you go ...

36x48

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I might go up just a little bit more. What does it look like, or is it even possible, if you center it on the kitchen aisle.

aimeekm thanked blfenton
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

It looks like that with the 36X48 size, you may be able to put the wall art over where the light was and not put up a new light.

aimeekm thanked arkansas girl
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

I like really large, the 36x48. Would move it up more. You could probably cover the outlet to get the main portion at eye level.

aimeekm thanked Vertise
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What does it look like, or is it even possible, if you center it on the kitchen aisle.

Not feeling this, it looks like I mistakenly hung it off center IMO

you may be able to put the wall art over where the light was

Would move it up more. You could probably cover the outlet to get the main portion at eye level.

So very good call on moving the art higher up on the wall. At first I wasn't liking the 36x48, but now that it is higher, I do. I like both the 36x48 & 36x36. My fear w the 36x48 is that it will overwhelm my small kitchen. I also intended for my stained glass panels to be the star, but with this art work in either size, it will certainly become the focal point.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

I LOVE that orientation and size. I don't think it will take away from your beautiful stained glass cabinet fronts; just gives a little more eye candy. :-)

aimeekm thanked torreykm
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

That looks really good! It still looks a little too far to the left and the right area does look wider. Moving it over a bit to the right would also afford some breathing space from the counter edge, opening things up more.

aimeekm thanked Vertise
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Following up ...

The artist was very very kind, she accepted my artwork as a return, and created a new piece for me. I decided to go with 36x36, the 36x48 overpowered the space IMO.

It arrived today!

The lighting is terrible this time of day, and I need the hole patched where told old (widely despised, lol) light was, but here it is!

ETA: If anyone one is interested, the artist is Paula Nizamas https://www.etsy.com/shop/Artcoast?ref=profile_shopicon

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Wow! It's perfect! You could edit your post to include her name so maybe she'll pick up some business from this thread and be rewarded for her great customer service.

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

It looks great! The orange in the picture is perfect.mI'm so glad it worked out. IS that a new rug as well?

aimeekm thanked blfenton
  • sushipup1
    7 years ago

Bravo! Looks perfect!

• sumac
    7 years ago

Yes your final choice is perfect! LOVE LOVE LOVE your stained glass doors! removing that wiring and patching the hole may be a little more than you anticipated, I would suggest capping the wires, putting a blank cover on the box and raising your picture the few inches needed to cover the electrical box

aimeekm thanked sumac
  • User
    7 years ago

I'm late to this thread. The new picture looks good.

The first one, I think the size was ok, but would have looked better with the light gone or something larger than the light, that related to the photo in some way above. I think a vertical piece of art would have worked there too.

aimeekm thanked User
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

I agree that your art piece could go up the few inches to cover the light box without compromising the placement on the wall. Capping off the electricity (even if you think you'd never use it) and putting plate over it would be lots easier than patching and painting the hole.

aimeekm thanked Olychick
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

The new piece is a vast improvement. It just glows in that space now.

aimeekm thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lyban zone 4
    7 years ago

Looks lovely. I agree, why not just go an inch and not have to fix that wall in case that plug is needed in the future.

aimeekm thanked Lyban zone 4
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone ... I appreciate all the help and compliments I received on this!

The rug isn't new, but it was my 3rd try until I got it "right"

You know I didn't even think to move the picture up a little, to cover the box, but I will definitely do that. Unfortunately my whole house needs to be rewired, so I will have many more of these type holes to patching paint!

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok ... today was picture hanging & adjustment day!

Ta Da!

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

Bravo!!!!!