SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legardhome

Help me choose new chairs?

legardhome
16 years ago

I posted this room about a year ago and asked for advice on finding a lower price copy cat for the PB Manhatten Chair.

Several of you found some nice ones that I have spent the last year trying to track down. I'm a big believer in seeing (and sitting in) before purchasing.

The Sam Moore chair someone pointed me to wasn't very comfortable, although a good look a like. I found another one of their chairs that was comfortable and which I liked the look of, although somewhat different in style.

The barcolounger version wasn't very attractive in person.

There is also a copy cat for the Manhatten chair on Ebay that I keep coming back to, but I am concerned with quality even though he has 100% feedback and has sold 2000+.

A final option is to buy two new Sherrill chairs exactly like the one currently in the room but in leather. The brown club chair on the left.

{{!gwi}}

Here are the two chairs I am replacing...

{{!gwi}}

Here is the Sam Moore chair

{{!gwi}}

Here is the Ebay chair

My DS photoshopped the chairs into the room for me.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

What do you all think? Which works better in the room? I think the color is off on the ebay chairs. It is supposed to be "coffee". They have an expresso version also.

I think the reason my current chair looks so good is because the scale is more in line with the room. I'll have to see if DS can reduce the size of the other two for a more accurate vision.

Comments (24)

• mkrzyz22
    16 years ago

This is just my opinion, and I'm no expert but I like the last one. It seems softer and less bulkier for the room and I like the pleasing and soft color.

• les917
    16 years ago

To be honest, I am not crazy about either one - they look so stiff compared to the warm and comfortable feeling of the room. But of the two, I would go with the second one. The first ones feel more art deco, the second more in keeping with the space (tho a bit square for the rest of the furnishings). I do prefer the color of the second one as well.

• Related Discussions

Help me choose new TV room furniture!

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a similar room and a sectional works great for our family of four (two teens). We can all pile on the long section (120") opposite the TV. The corner is the premium spot. An ottoman in front lets us put our feet up. Nobody really wants to sit angled on the other side to watch TV, but a comfy chair would give you another seat. I'm sold on microfiber for family furniture - wears like iron, soft and even dog hair doesn't stick to it.
    ...See More

Help me choose a new kitchen table light

Q

Comments (17)
    This side of the kitchen keeps getting more an more eclectic with bistro chairs, farmhouse table, rattan chairs, black chest. Calm down it's starting to look like a storage area. That is why I suggested you repeat the style of the light fixtures over your island. IMO, though I personally love them, I don't like the rattan chairs with the bistro chairs. I think the counter stools were a great selection but they are not complemented by all the stuff you're gathering at the other end of the kitchen.
    ...See More

Will you help me choose a new kitchen table?

Q

Comments (4)
    I was surprised to see this thread pop up. It's kind of interesting timing because we JUST last week ended up buying a table and chairs from the consignment store where I work! I just could not make up my mind on which way to go with a new table and then lo and behold, this nice table and 4 chairs showed up. It's 36" X 48" and is working our great for the 2 of us. It's made by Bermex, which is very similar to Canadel. Of course, this only begins the process of changing so many other things like the light fixture, the wall color, the appliances and the counter top!!! I already have new fabric for recovering the chair seats. I know..............lots of wood, but I just cannot justify having the cabinets painted white because they are only about 15 year old maple cabinets in VERY good condition. And even tho I say, that, there is still a part of me that revisits the idea of painting every once in awhile.
    ...See More

I need help choosing new parson's chairs.

Q

Comments (6)
    I have to agree no skirt and hardwood but I aslo think too many tufts are just too many. So if you must have a skirt then I like the ones with the back detail. BUt really if you want help you need to post pictures . I entertain a lot and honestly carpet and totally upholstered chairs would never be my choice in a DR The fact is very formal dining is really a adted way to live and food and carpets never work together in my experience. At least with an area rug that can be sent out to clean and since you are redoing anywhay why not go something different
    ...See More
  • msrose
    16 years ago

I don't like the ebay chair at all. The Sam Moore chair looks good, but I think I like the chair you already have best. Can you get another one to match it?

Laurie

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Looks like you already have a "pair" of chairs in that room (very cozy and pretty btw), and I'm not sure a second, but different "pair" of chairs is a good idea. What about doing one wood-framed chair to go with the pretty brown chair you already have. Also not at all crazy about the big brown leather chairs in that particular room. They're a little too metro chic for your space.

• legardhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay here is one more view of the room. Maybe seeing the whole room will give you a better idea.

My DS just got photoshop and I think he might not have adjusted the scale so they seem to overwhelm the room. Using the dimensions posted for the various chairs, they are actually within an inch of the one already there.

I am welcome to suggestions for two new chairs, if you have come across something great that you think will work.

I am never happy with the decisions I make, that's why it takes me so long to reach one.

I thought since I had so many different things going on in there now, that two matching chairs would help bring it together. Currently, only the small green chairs match. Everything else is a hodgepodge, or should I say eclectic?

• legardhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops, forgot to say that the chair I already have is about 8 years old and the fabric is no longer available but I can still get this chair.

I was also considering it in leather. Is leather a definite no?

• ruthie_s
    16 years ago

In my opinion the leather chairs don't work well in the room as it is right now. Your room is so cozy and the styles chosen I agree, are contemporary feeling. They would be a stark contrast with your cream sofa . The chair you have is great... maybe reupholster. Sarchlos_remodeler has a very good point about questioning whether to have another pair of matching chairs. Do you like the rocker at all? It has a nice feel to it, how about having new cushions made for it that have green, cream and whatever other colors would coordinate?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

If you really want to get rid of the rocker, what about a somewhat arts and crafts style wood framed club chair in lieu of the rocker plus reupholster the pretty little brown club chair you have?

• les917
    16 years ago

I love the eclectic feel of the room. It is a very warm and comfortable place - makes me want to sit down and enjoy a good book.

What about moving things around a bit? Instead of two leather chairs, how about one larger leather, softer, more worn in appearance, to go in the corner to the left of the fireplace, with a matching ottoman. That is a big space, and can handle the presence of a bulkier chair. Something like this:

ogden leather chair
    Then move the two green chairs to the other side where the two mis-matched chairs are now.

Leave the corner with the very large plant (where the one green chair is on the left of the armoire) empty.

Finally, move the piano down to the left a bit on that wall (it seems kind of lonely and bare over there) and use the older upholstered chair down in the corner with the floor lamp as another reading spot. Hang some art on that wall, maybe a small cabinet between the chair and piano that could hold music books, etc.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I like les's ideas very much. One word of caution about those leather club chairs, though: they are very deep seats. I had one for a while, but got rid of it because it was so long that no one could sit back in it comfortably -- so make sure you SIT in any chair you buy before you buy it (we got ours off of ebay for $40 so no harm, no foul, but if you're buying NEW a chair mistake can be pretty costly).

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

The chair you want to get rid of is the style of chair I'm looking to buy...if it's a recliner. Who makes it, where did you buy it?

I don't care for the second leather chair because I'm not a fan of sofas or chairs with gargantuan arms. Both come across as severe, especially in the color and tight leather you have shown us. I have to say though that the color is practical, doesn't look like it would pick up dyes from your denim clothing the way the lighter leathers do. I'm getting rid of leather in my living room because it's a struggle to keep the color true and cleaners aren't working. Leather hasn't been the panacea I thought it would be, but this was a softer leather so that may be part of the problem. Would this be your first leather purchase? Your choices look durable, yet that very attribute is making them appear stiff and cold.

• wisrose
    16 years ago

I agree with the other posters, the leather looks to hard. Have you tried those chairs out for comfort? A leather chair is never as comfortable as fabric, the leather doesn't give when you sit on it like fabric. Your room is absolutely beautiful, so inviting and warm. I have a leather chair, I sat on it in the store for a couple of seconds, it was comfy...I hate it now, way to stiff and hard, big mistake.

• amykath
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say love your room! Very cozy! I would go with a fabric hands down. It just goes with the whole feeling in my opinion. Guess everyone is different in what they like... but hey, that is what makes life interesting.

Good luck. Love the room already though!
    Amy

• powermuffin
    16 years ago

Just another vote for neither chair. The mass of dark color in your beautiful room, just doesn't get it. If you are set on leather, do as Les has suggested. Otherwise, I would do one or two, non-matching, fabric chairs. As stated earlier you already have a pair of chairs, adding two more is over-kill. One poster suggested a craftsman style rocker; I like that idea because it underscores the warm feeling you have established in your room already. Then if you feel you need another chair, keep the chair you have or add a new one in a similar style.
    Diane

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Love your room. How about buying another chair like yours and since you can't get the same upholstery, buying matching slipcovers?

• cindyloowoo
    16 years ago

I'm confused - are you replacing the two checked chairs or the recliner and rocker?

I agree about the selection of the leather. I think a worn leather in a chair with more curves would be nice.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your house. I remember pics from when you first moved in. You have great taste and you have inspired me in my own decorating quests!

• legardhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyone thanks for the compliments on the room. For the most part, I really like the way it came out, except for that one area. I feel the rocker is too small for the space and figured if I was going to get a new chair, that I should get a pair, so there wouldn't be so many different things going on in there.

Cindy, I am planning on replacing the recliner and the rocker.

I still really like the brown chair. It is from the Sherrill Motioncraft line and I purchased it in Williamsburg VA. It is a recliner, therefore adding slipcovers wouldn't work.

My DS was in his room photoshopping the chairs into the photo as I was in the office posting this on the forum. It wasn't until he emailed them to me in the middle of the post that I realized, "wow, those don't look very good". Darn if only I would have had photoshop a year ago I could have saved myself a lot of hassle.

Les,
    Style wise I really like your idea, as a larger chair would fill the corner to the left of the fireplace very well. Unfortunately, I don't think hubby would give up his recliner to sit in the green chair. I'll move them there before he comes home just to get an idea of scale and see if he will go for it. I will put his brown recliner in the corner you are indicating. I will post the photo later today. If it works I might not need to purchase anything.

So, am I understanding that most of you like the brown recliner and think only the rocker needs to be replaced?

I will put myself out of a limb here and ask what other changes you would make to the room. Eventually I would like to get a new art piece for over the fireplace and move that print to the piano. And yes I agree the piano looks lonely.

• les917
    16 years ago

Have you considered switching the armoire and the piano?

Seems like the armoire might fill that empty wall better, with artwork hung on either side, etc. and the piano would sit nicely between the windows, with some art over it. Having the armoire on that other wall would also balance some of the height of the windows and fireplace on the other walls.

Then your DH's chair could also go in the corner to the left of the fireplace and he could still see the TV (which I assume is in the armoire).

Unless you need that much seating, I would not have two pairs of chairs on each side, regardless of whether they matched or not. Having an odd number of chairs will actually open up the space a bit, not make it feel like everyone is gathered in a circle around the campfire! LOL

• legardhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les,

Unfortunately, the armoire has to stay there because that is where the cable outlet along with speaker hook ups are located. We didn't plan any other outlets in this room. Our lower level is finished so it wouldn't be possible to reroute them easily.

I did move things around though and found some fabric scraps to help the rocker blend in. Thoughts anyone? The green chair just doesn't seem to 'fit' where the rocker was. It seems off to me.

src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/legardhome/IMG_0802-1.jpg"; border="0" alt="Photobucket">

• les917
    16 years ago

Instead of spreading the two green chairs apart, why don't you put them side by side facing straight on to the coffeetable, with that small table between them (no lamp). People coming into the seating area would then have a walkway in front of the fireplace, rather than entering between the chairs. It would make for a more interesting seating arrangement, perhaps, rather than four chairs at four corners of the area.

We had several cable outlets moved around, and it wasn't a huge problem. You might ask your cable company, just for kicks.

• ruthie_s
    16 years ago

I like where you have the armoire positioned ... it is in a good spot in between the windows.I also like the old positioning of the green chairs. If you don't need four chairs,try removing the rocker and angling the brown chair a little... with only one chair it
    includes the piano into the room. You have a very nice style. Les has a good idea about adding an ottoman and angling the brown chair closer to the fireplace. Very cozy!
    What about having a worn,soft leather ottoman... which could be used as a fourth chair in a crunch. We have an ottoman that is really used as more of an endtable ,and sometimes turns into seating.

• gopack
    16 years ago

I also love your room, esp. the armoire and the green chairs. I really liked the green chairs next to the armoire but they look good across the room also.

You asked for any other suggestions....I might suggest that your get wall art for over your sofa that has brown wood frames rather than the black frames you have now. I think art with brown wood frames would really blend well with the wood on the armoire and the piano and give the room an even better look. Again, this is just my humble opinion. The wood frames would not have to match anything per se, but the black frames seem a little modern, especially over your white couch.

I also do like the recliner and the fabric it is in rather than the leather chairs. The recliner looks very inviting and warm. I do like your idea of keeping the recliner and replacing the rocker with a new one - it will be nice mix of upholstery and wood.

We have 2 recliners and I have had them reupholstered and we love them. Ours are by Lane and they actually come apart so they can be easily reupholstered. Not sure if yours can be.

Have fun!

• creekylis
    16 years ago

If you are still looking for leather, I would highly recommend clubfurniture.com. I ordered a leather club chair and ottoman from them maybe 8 years ago and it has held up extremely well. I got leather samples in the mail first to choose color and I upgraded the chair to the down cushion (definitely do that!). The leather is very high quality-- scratches seem to rub right out. I have three small kids who really abuse this thing and it still looks good. It is also the most comfortable chair in the house. Worth a look for sure!

(P.S... I have no affiliation with these folks. Just a very happy customer!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair Site

• homeagain
    16 years ago

Everyone, thanks for the great ideas. We've been on Spring break, so I haven't had a chance to check the thread.

I've move the green chairs back to the corners. DH was not happy giving up his recliner. He said the chair and ottoman wasn't as comfy as his recliner. Since, everyone seems to like it in the room, and it's still in good shape, I'm going to look for a wood and fabric rocker to take the place of the old one, which definitely needs to go, rather than having two different style recliners in the room.

Gopack, I never noticed how stark the picture frames over the sofa seemed until you pointed it out. Since the print over the fireplace and the piano have black frames, I never really thought about it. I'll have to look for dark browns ones and switch it out.