SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnkitty

Need help decorating with purple sofa!!

mnkitty
13 years ago

We have a dark red living room which needed: New furniture, flooring, rug, art and sconces. The one thing about the room we thought we liked was the dark red walls. So, we went shopping for a black sofa. No one wanted to sell us a black upholstered sofa because it would show too much lint. I finally found a sofa I really like. It's a pillow back with turned legs and nail-head trim. The only fabric that I could get it in and like is a dark, velvety eggplant. While purchasing the sofa we also picked out 2 chairs and ottoman that are tufted and in a dark, granite chenille.

I don't recall my husband's exact words, when imagining the red walls and purple sofa, but it was something like Pimp's Paradise. Needless to say, we need to change the wall color.

Should we choose a rug 1st? Is it necessary for the rug to be darker than the sofa? What colors would you suggest? I guess I should add that well, I don't know what our style would be labeled. Probably eclectic because we like French country, English tudor, Spanish Revival, Gothic Revival etc.

Thank you for any help,

Kitty

Comments (45)