SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittyfam

Redoing family room, need help with decor, colors. Brown leather couch

Else
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I need some advice to get me started to improve my family room. We just purchased a new, brown leather couch, huge update from the red, green, gold fabric couch we used to have that made me feel so limited, and very dated. I wanted a neutral couch that would allow me to make changes throughout the years and not be tied down by specific colors. I am hoping to make this place look great, but I need your help! Thanks in advance!!!!

Please ignore the decorations on the tables, they are only temporary while I'm moving around on stuff and will not be staying that way. And the rocker I am going to re-upholster; the fabric laid on it looks wrong on the picture but is actually black and I think it matches in real life. I have a white kitchen and all trim throughout is white, also fire place as you can see. Walls are beige, warmer than what came through on the pictures once posted. Looks more like the hallway to the left on the second picture. I am able to paint a little bit, but preferably not the entire floor, although with help it is not completely out of the question. Just preferably not. The wall behind the love seat has to be painted, too scuffed up by our old couch.

Here are my questions and areas where I'm looking for advice:

1. I would like to keep the coffee table if possible to keep cost down, and I love the storage. I thought it had potential if I paint it. Is that doable? I tried to stain a small area darker, but it won't penetrate. I do NOT want to sand and prep to re-stain, I would rather like to paint it (tendonitis in arms, too difficult and risky as I'm trying to heal). And I figure I can paint again and again. Which color would look nice if I paint? Soft white, make it look rustic, black, some sort of gray? Or a bold color? Does gray go with brown leather? Or do two-tone?

2. I would like to purchase new end tables on either side of the love seat but feel at a loss as to what to purchase. Colors? Do they have to match or can they be different? And do they have to match the coffee table?

3. I should probably get an area rug? I was waiting on that until we had a new couch. Color, style? Suggestions? I'm hoping to go neutral enough that I can do some different things with couch pillows /accessories and not be tied down to the rug or having to purchase a new one every time I want new sofa pillows. At the same time I would like to get something that helps bring everything together and compliment the floor and couch. Thoughts on that?

4. After rearranging furniture, the picture above the love seat is centered on the wall but looks lopsided with the love seat there, and we probably hung it too low. We used to have the couch there but the current arrangement works better. I'm thinking we'll move the picture to the right and get rid of one of the candle decorations? Or will it not matter once we have a better (taller?) end table to the left? How would you handle that? I'll probably get a different color candle finally.

5. The fireplace tile: Are they OK or do I need to do something there? Can they be painted???? They kinda look like stone but the surface of them are some type of print. So fully man made, but at least they look pretty natural. I'm just unsure about the color. They have a grayish blue hue to them but also elements of beige. I don't have a clue what to do if I need to replace or refinish them. Can I keep them they way they are? Will it help if I eventually paint the wall behind it?

Anything else I should do? Thank you so much in advance!!

Comments (9)