SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ainsley_gw

Painting mavens: I need your help with the living room

ainsley
16 years ago

I know from reading this forum that you all really know paint. We're on the tail end of a kitchen/dining room remodel. So, of course, the living room and hall now look really dreary. Which is fine, because we intended to repaint all along.

The kitchen is BM Elephant Tusk on the walls/ceiling and Pashmina (Aura) on trim. The adjacent dining room has Pashmina on the walls and Elephant Tusk on the ceiling. The trim in the DR is Linen White because that is what we have everywhere else. We're really happy with the results, although I kinda wish we'd gone with Pashmina trim as well in the DR.

The kitchen and DR have southern exposure (hurray!) The living room faces north and is made even darker by an outside overhang. It's currently painted BM Boardwalk which has been good for lots of years but we're ready for a change and want to integrate it with the DR. I'm thinking of using Elephant Tusk again (I really like in the kitchen) but worry that would be too drab. We want it light and open but with northern light, I'm afraid what I might get is washed out and blah.

Oh, if you're still with me, there's one more complication. It's hard to get a good read of test colors in there because of: 1) the Boardwalk 2) the room is totally dismanteled b/o the renovation. So none of the ambient light we would normally use is available. We should have thought of this before we started but, nonetheless, we're going ahead with painting it.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks so much, A

Comments (3)