SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bushelandapeck

Painting brick house & retaining wall: help w/color & visualizing

bushelandapeck
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I need some help...hopefully in the form of pictures or people who have those "paint your house digitally" doohickies because I absolutely cannot picture things in my mind.

I have a 2-story brick house that sits on top of a hill with a huge brick retaining wall (which you can see in the photo way off to the right, underneath the garage portion of the house). My house has only ONE brick side (the front), so I have no qualms about potentitally adding to the maintenance cost by painting this home...I already have to paint 3 sides and trim. Also, 95% of the houses in my neighborhood (suburban Atlanta) look EXACTLY like mine. Red brick colonials...one after another after another...so neighbors almost appreciate it when someone branches out. Although you can't see it in this photo, the brick is fading rapidly to a sad orangy color. It gets TONS of sun.

Anyway, the typical painted brick colors in my hood are taupe/tan, moss green, yellow, white, or gray. Nothing too crazy. I like the idea of having a yellow house. (Well, or blue, but my husband and everyone else sorta freaked out at the idea of blue brick!) I was thinking of yellow brick and black shutters with a red door. However, the painter is suggesting very dark red shutters. My family is suggesting green. My neighbor, dark brown. And the painter suggests adding some of those shutter 'hooks" and window boxes up top to add interest. My house looks HUGE on this hill. I want it to seem a little less huge and more cozy. I bought it from my dad, retired Army, who liked that he could "survey the troops" from on high :) Following is an example of a yellow house in our neighborhood:

As I mentioned, I have that red brick retaining wall running across the front to think about. It is already in need of some serious repair (which you can't see because the moster stairstep cracks areshielded by the bushes). Everyone agrees that if I paint the brick, I should paint the wall. But a yellow retaining wall? Hmm. Although the painter recommends it, I simply just can't picture it. Neighbor suggests a dark color for the wall to match whatever shutter color I pick. A brown wall? A red wall?

I'm so confused by all these choices that I'm simply doing...nothing. And although you can't see it, the paint is actually peeling off all around my window frames. Up close, it's kinda Amityvillehorror-esque.

So, to all you painting and decorating geniuses...

1. Suggestions (ideally pictures, becuase I just can't visualize well) of shutter/front door colors to go with a yellow house...I like cottage-looking houses

2. Suggestions for what to do with the big honkin' retaining wall

3. Anything else you suggest? I'm open. (Oh, but I really am not fond of stucco...) I'm not terribly creative :)

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the novel...

Comments (18)