SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2catsandtheirmom

I need help w/beam placement and to paint or not paint fireplace brick

2Cats AndTheirMom
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am presently making major changes throughout my house. I am changing the 25 year old dingy off white trim and wall color to Benjamin Moore Dove White and a complete kitchen replacement with a range hood with cabinets in Dove White and 10 foot island with quartz or concrete counter top. I placed two photos to show each end of the room. I believe this is what you call a shed vaulted ceiling. My question is how to run the beams. Should I run them where the molding is shown on the roof and butt up to the brick fireplace like the present molding OR somehow wrap them around the brick. I am trying to cover where the molding is so that I do not need to make ceiling repairs. I thought about running them crosswise but there is not a really good place as the air vents seem to be in the way in every good spot.

I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. I have no idea of cost but was thinking faux beams might be more economical. Any suggestions appreciated on a good company to consider. I see that Home Depot has some but not sure how authentic they look. FYI: The ceiling is 12' 6" at the highest point.

My other question is: Is it a sin to paint this old brick fireplace? Not sure how it will look with Dove White so maybe I should hold off on it until everything is finished. The painters are coming soon but I can skip the fireplace for now.

My plan in this room is to paint the ceiling in Flat White Dove, Walls in Egg Shell White Dove and Trim in Semi Gloss. Unless someone has a better idea. I appreciate any critique. Everything is a mess and piled up because I am painting the 3 front rooms with Dove White and study in Van Deusen.

Comments (13)