SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

What size chandelier for foyer? Please help, must decide!

mybrowneyedgirls
15 years ago

I found the perfect chandelier for my foyer. I've been wanting to replace the ugly builder's brass chandelier for some time now. All other lighting/chandeliers throughout the house has been updated, and I've been looking for something that will tie in with the other fixtures I now have. Nothing has seemed to work, and then last night I found one that would look perfect on CL, of all places! I have to decide on it soon before someone else grabs it!

The only thing is I wonder if it might be too big. It is 28"high and 36"diameter. My foyer is 18 feet high, but it is narrow (85"wide) although it is completely open to the living room downstairs (there is a wall starting at 9 ft (living room ceiling height) that goes all the way up to the 18 ft ceiling. Upstairs there is a "bridge rail" that goes across the overlook to the foyer. So, if you are following me--and hopefully this is making sense--if you are standing in the upstairs hallway at the railing that overlooks the foyer, the chandelier is "boxed" in by 3 walls and the open railing. The dimensions are 85" wide by 115" length here. Sooooo, would a 36" wide chandelier be too wide for here? Is there some rule to follow? The current fixture is a very narrow, brass/glass cage-like fixture that the builders around here use as a standard fixture. It is only 14 or 15" at its widest point (in the center). I know I could go a little bigger, but I just don't know how much bigger. Like I said, I have to decide really soon (there is someone else interested) so please help!!! Thanks so much!

Comments (8)