SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

Finally Painting My Interior Doors & Trim--Need Help

redbazel
16 years ago

We moved in in 2003 and I immediately painted much of the house. I left the trim alone, because it is the same bone color as the interior 6-panel doors and I wasn't up to the task of doing all of it. A couple of years later, when I re-painted, I found Sherwin Wms Antique White closely matched the baseboards and doors, so I did some touch up painting. I am definitely NOT good at touch up.

So, in May, I have a week off and plan to do a Good job on my trim. I may change the color to a lighter shade, perhaps BM White Dove or SW Linen White. If I do, I need to take down doors and paint them to match. Here's my main question:

If I just buy all new trim, maybe in a 4" profile, paint it outside on sawhorses, and get my son to install for me, will it be a better job (translate to 'easier') than, to try to sand and repaint all the existing baseboards? I realize that I would need to 'touch up' the nail holes in the new installed trim anyway, but I'm just trying to weigh this out in terms of having my effort come out looking really good. I don't know how much prep work is involved in painting new (probably MDF) trim as opposed to prepping the already painted baseboards.

Here's a shot of my entry so you can kind of see why all the doors are a bit daunting....

{{!gwi}}And if I replace the baseboards with a bigger piece, will I have to replace around the doors, or is that fine? I guess I never notice these details in other's homes, so please excuse if my question is dumb.

Red

Comments (17)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I personally wouldn't replace good trim if I liked the lines of it. Just prep well and you'll be fine. You want to use painters tape to outline your walls, then seal that by running a finger covered in a wash cloth next to the seam line (at the edge of the wood you're painting). When actually applying the paint, be sure not to have a loaded brush an the seams...two light coats verses one heavy coat is always better.

I'd prime with a SW primer (follow the links in my name and you'll see the names of the primer I like to use that does not require sanding before painting). My link talks about coloring it dark...you don't need to do that obviously. One coat of primer, two coats of paint. I would use a high gloss only (it's stronger and recommended for doors and trim). I personally like the SW product I have linked as well.

You can remove and repaint trim, or remove and paint what you have then reinstall. I wouldn't...but I'm a careful painter. I certainly wouldn't take the doors down! Tape carefully and proceed. I'd remove knobs and their face plates but that's about it.

You have a very easy space to paint there...no carpet :) So tape and paint and make life easier ;)

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Can't see the photo, but I agree with igloochic.

Question: Can trim, like crown, be added to an old house with plaster walls and ceilings?

• Related Discussions

Painting interior of front door

Q

Comments (2)
    The inside of our door is painted the same color as the accent wall that's directly opposite it. The accent wall is just a shade darker than the other walls, not a contrasting color. I did that way back when Christopher and Lynette Jennings were around. That was a Lynette thing back then. Yes, you can paint the door the color of the wall. There is someone who posts on this forum who has her bedroom door painted in the same manner, but of course I don't remember who it is.
    ...See More

Painting help!! Final phase

Q

Comments (15)
    I have Ben Moore fan decks and I held Fresh Water ip to my maple cabinets. I didn't care for it at all, to be honest, and combined with Careless Whispers, with it's pinkish tones, it looked like nursery colors. Ben Moore recommends 1624 Wescott Navy and 1007 Beigewood with Careless Whispers. You have a small color selection available due to wanting to match/bend with your fabrics. If the navy is too dark, look at 1622 Mineral Alloy or 1623 Britannia Blue. Both have a blue gray tone that should go with your chair fabric. I can't tell from the kitchen pic above how much wall space would be painted in the kitchen, or whether you have windows in it. I do not have photos of my kitchen on this laptop, but the limited wall space in my kitchen is Crimson, which is a mis-nomer, as it's a rusty red. I looked at darker colors for your kitchen, and I liked 1201 Spiced Apple Cider, or 1202 Baked Terra Cotta. They take some of the pinkness out of the Careless Whispers. But I don't know how they'd go with your trim. There seems to be very little wall space in the kitchen, so a darker color wouldn't bother me as you have the light cabinets. I like the grey and darker blues suggested above, and feel they would be better with your trim than Fresh Water.
    ...See More

I finally put my door, sidelite & transom light in, help with colors??

Q

Comments (17)
    Looks great! The only hesitation I would have is the recess, your door and black surrounding trim could look a bit like a black hole to approaching visitors. If your siding in the recess was your cream trim color, I'd say go for it. Lovely house, I prefer the darker garage door with the matching surrounding trim and no shutters above. Deeper coloured downspouts/troughs to blend into the home would be better too.
    ...See More

Doors and trim need help

Q

Comments (1)
    Please post photos.
    ...See More
  • redbazel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Newhomebuilder, sometimes, when MSN is not being fun, you can't see the photo. Try right-clicking on the icon you see in the (blank) box and then clicking on 'view photo' or something like that. It might make it appear for you.

Igloo, I checked out your clippings and info. Thanks. I've been reading about trim painting in the 'Paint' forum for days. I bought a really nice Purdy brush from SW, along with a gallon of their Pro-Classic paint, since that's the one that seems to get all the thumbs up from Paint guys. (Haven't had it tinted yet and it IS returnable!) But they do say it's a learned skill.....to apply the pro-classic. Do you like the SW exterior paint you mentioned better for interior trim? And the primer step I think I will follow too. I want to do as many rooms in my home as I can get done on this go-round. And I was under the impression that the doors would need to come down, but if you think no.....

My lower back, along the hips has been paining me for weeks. (haven't seen a doc, a quack, a chiropractor, or a massage therapist yet........blah blah blah) so I'm concerned that if I'm still in some pain in mid-May, the sawhorse method with new trim might be easier on me. However, that depends on my son putting aside the day to install it for me. He's the fastest trim guy around, but he still has to make time.

Thanks,
    Red

• Michael
    16 years ago

I don't know if it's ok for pro's to come over here, but here I am..lol

Make sure the doors and trim are clean! If they haven't been washed in the last two weeks, wash them with Dirtex or a solution of water and ammonia. Sand all surfaces to a dull sheen prior to priming.

I prefer the SW PreRite Classic primer. It holds the gloss much better than most other primers. A light, very light sanding is desirable for best topcoat finish. Caulk all gaps and joints after sanding is complete.

Pro Classic is superior for interior trim. Satin or Semi-Gloss finish is the most preferred. At least by my customers. A Purdy nylon/poly brush is not the correct brush for Pro Classic or any other heavy bodied waterborne paint. Choose a Chinex brush and the application and results will be much better. Chinex brushes are made by Purdy, E&J, Corona and other quality manufacturers.

I never paint a hanging door, but that's just my perfectionist tendencies.

Have fun with it.

Michael

• Michael
    16 years ago

Casing trim, around the door jambs is 2 1/4" (most common) to 2 1/2" (when remodeling).

Michael

• lkplatow
    16 years ago

Michael - what do you mean by "It holds the gloss better than other primers"? - do you mean it sticks to glossy paint? I have a stair handrail that has been painted in super-glossy oil paint. I've sanded and sanded but it's still kind of glossy. And since it's a handrail, it's going to take lots of abuse. I had planned to prime it with Zinsser 1-2-3 before topcoating with latex (maybe cabinet coat, maybe something else latex that can be tinted black, not sure yet), but if there's a better primer, I'd love to know!

Red - sorry for the hijack.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Good to see you again Michael!

Red: just wanted to comment on your back problem and using the saw horses. I've done lots of remodel work and find that bending over sawhorses is the worst thing for my back. It'll flare up everytime!

I also have one hip that bothers me now and then, but I find if a get an old blanket and sit on it (on hard floors) and scoot along the floor as I paint, then I have no problems. It also helps to take frequent breaks!
    Of course, it all depends on the type of back problem you have, but thought I'd share what works for me.

I'm also one that prefers semi-gloss over gloss.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Annz. I am hoping/wishing that all will be well with my back by mid-May. Never had problems before. Stupid post-hole digger!

Michael, I was dying to post this on 'Paint' but I get so wordy and convoluted when asking my painting questions that I didn't dare. Thanks a heap for bringing your most professional self over here! And I positively Grilled the Sherwin Williams guy about the brush. I've read so many 'what brush to use' threads on Paint forum, that I asked about the Chinex or Corona brush especially. He told me this Purdy $15 brush was the best thing to use with the Pro-Classic. Well, it's returnable. I'll return it and go to one of the other paint stores to get the recommended brush.
    I'm good at walls and have a steady hand, no fear of ladders. Usually don't even need to tape. But my trim work is deplorable and I want to do it right where it looks good this time.
    The doors are gonna be a crapshoot. I did my entry door in place 3 years ago and it looks good. But I may just have my DH take these down so it can be a long-lasting and well-done job. Ikplatow, thanks so much for the color by the numbers plan for the doors.

• Michael
    16 years ago

lkplatow,

Enamel holdout means the primer does not absorb any of the topcoat sheen. In my field experiences, Zinsser 1 2 3 has good enamel holdout but not as good as SW Classic primer. A DIY painter will not notice the difference between the two products, but someone who uses both on a regular basis will notice the improved holdout that Classic provides.

When using primer, always use the one with best holdout for uniform sheen.

Michael

• tracey_b
    16 years ago

If you use Pro Classic, PRACTICE, practice, practice with it on a spare piece of molding. Yes, it has a LOVELY finish and I would prefer to have my trim painted in it, but I just couldn't feel comfortable using it myself.

Of course, I was a first time painter when I used it and didn't know that paints could be so different--boy was I in for a surprise. I got my door jambs done, but I couldn't get up the motivation to use it on the 500' of trim needed to finish off our basement. I wanted to pre-paint in the garage before it was hung, and I'd heard that I couldn't "just touch it up" at the nail holes, so the project went unfinished for almost a year. In the meantime, I figured out that our upstairs molding was "regular" latex semi-gloss and it'd held up fine in the 10 years since the house was built (no kids, and I'm careful with the vacuum/broom, etc.), so I decided to go with that, and I'm perfectly happy that I did--I got the molding painted in 3 days in the garage, and touchups look non-existent in the basement.

Good luck!
    Tracey

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have absolutely no issues with using the proclassic primer and didn't need to practice with it at all. I guess I just don't get that.

I also have used many a brush, but like the nylon for this application. I don't have brush strokes...but I don't paint as much as a pro so perhaps it's use and use and use :)

I think that people are reading the information in my clipping incorrectly. The COLOR code I put in there is for a color called Woodsey Brown which is an exterior color (you typically get more deep tones in exterior colors) but the PAINT is NOT and exterior paint. Just the color!

The proclassic primer adhears to ANY surface, without sanding. I love the stuff because I've used it on some very glossy surfaces and it's held like magic! I do wash surfaces and make sure they're free of dust and dirt, but I rarely sand anymore. My professional painter was very skeptical but is now sold on the quality of these two products together. The primer is a gem, and the quality of the top coat is wonderful as well. I like a high quality finish and a strong finish as well...and together these two will give you that in any combination of colors ;)

• Michael
    16 years ago

Nobody is suggesting that the primer needs practice. *S*

If we're talking about the same product, PrepRite Classic Primer, sanding to dull is highly recommended. I never advise to prime over a gloss surface unless using a Bonding Primer, which Classic is not.

Michael

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Red, I'm a novice when it comes to painting, but I'm anxious to see what you decide. I love seeing pics of your beautiful home . . . and your cute pooch, too.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Just to be clear...this is the paint in the post...I don't understand the need to practice with either the primer or the paint :oP But then I rarely read instructions either (and the primer is a bonding primer...no sanding necessary). I'd sand if it were Kilz or something...but no need with this (this is after using it several years and seeing it hold):

Clipping:

Primer
    Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Interior Exterior Seals and Bonds, Latex primer (it's the most expensive...but if you don't like sanding or using chemicals to prep, this is the stuff for you!). I've never had to sand or strip first using this on the worst shiny stuff.

Paint
    Sherwin Williams Exterior All Surface Glass Enamel
    Code IFC411X
    Woodsy Brown 100% mix formula 2924 (color code)
    They use Acrylic Latex HIGH GLOSS Ultradeep base 6403-25932
    Code A41T00204

The info came off the labels. It's for a deep color primer and paint. Obviously they come in white.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I dunno not'in, and I see Igloo wrote that this wasn't *really* an exterior paint being listed. But it does *say* 'Exterior' (so I'm confused). Anywho, for safety purposes I will mention -- I believe I read not to use exterior paint indoors, as the formulations are quite different, in order to stand up to outdoor weather conditions, and there are harmful VOCs.

• Michael
    16 years ago

igloo,

You and I are on different pages. You mention proclassic primer and then mention pro block.

Labels and ID is very important in the paint trades. Pro Block is a different animal than Classic primer. Different game.

Michael