SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

How would you decorate this wall and mantel?

Oakley
15 years ago

My comments are below:

The wall, not including the book nook is 20ft. long. I have the rest of the room figured out i/r/t pictures, etc., but I am totally stumped on what should go above the TV. All my pictures are packed up but I do know I don't have large horizontal picture. I do have a large vertical lithograph of a Maxfield Parrish painting, in a dark brown wood frame. It's 22" W x 34" L. I have a wall for the picture to "stand alone", and if I do put the picture above the TV, I don't think it'd look good by itself, and I have no clue what to add with it if I did put it there. I simply don't know what to put there!

The TV will stay to the right of the stand, I'm going to put flowers on the left side of the stand.

The only thing that will stay on the mantel is the clock. I'm not keen on putting a mirror or picture on the mantel either.

The style of the room is Old World. Here's a picture I've already put up which was a recent bday gift for my husband, it's Count Rumford who designed our FP. lol. I'm going to put sconces on each side of his picture and leave it be. This gives you an idea of the room.

I'm open to ALL suggestions! I have sat and sat on the sofa so many times trying to think of what to put above the TV and I'm just stumped. I reeealllly don't want to buy a large painting, but I'm thinking I might have to.

Comments (45)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I would hang the tv on the wall and run the wires through the wall behind the tv and have them come out at bottom of wall. The tv really belongs on the wall. Then you don't need much else.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tv stand stays. It's in the perfect position for viewing. And the wires were run through the wall already. What you're seeing is a cable he has down there for some reason. I need to put it in the bag with the other thousands of cables. lol

I love the stand, it's surrounded in dark wood with black glass for the shelves. And I like having space there to put some tall flowers on.

• Related Discussions

How would you decorate around this TV? Or would you move?

Q

Comments (31)
    Call your cable company and ask if they have a smaller more attractive box if you have had it for more than a year. Can you post a picture of what you see looking from the sofa directly forward? Could you just put the TV right there in that area, it looks wide and then put a screen behind it. I have added a link. You could put pictures across the top row and maybe just solid color paper or something in the others. Good luck and please post when you decide what functions for you. Here is a link that might be useful: photo screen divider
    ...See More

How would you decorate this great room wall?

Q

Comments (18)
    I would buy the largest rug possible for the area with the sectional which will help to "pull out" the sofa from that corner. Something with a bit of color to liven up the monochromatic look of the wall and sectional would really help. Instead of red I would consider yellow or lime green pillows, and also pillows with more colors and patterns. I don't see any lighting in that corner which gives it a rather "dead" look. A tall lamp to the left of the sectional would add height to that area in addition to light. Since the mantel already has a shelf-like look, I'm not sure whether shelves are the best idea. They should at least look very different in design and I would paint them the color of the wall. That will make whatever you put on them really stand out. It's a very nice room otherwise. If you like art, a beautiful picture over the mantel would make that area more of a focal point.
    ...See More

how would you decorate this mantle

Q

Comments (44)
    Thoughts on my updates so far? I’ve added some more blue accents. Try to ignore the big ottoman, it won’t be in here forever. I tried to take the ottoman out to play with the space without it. My husband really wants the big ottoman in here. I told him we will be moving it to the basement once that space is finished in a few months. I’m still searching for the right artwork for the mantle. Stuff up there are placeholders for now. I’ve added a photo where I try to cover the window with artwork to see what it looks like with 1 large piece but I didn’t have one big enough.
    ...See More

How would you decorate this huge blank wall?!

Q

Comments (43)
    You had a lot of wasted space the other way as well, truly you should add a chair to the other side. Because this looks amazing. you could make the chaise side longer now. The arcade games feel like part of the flow rather than baby in the corner. the room is rounded out. Dont be discouraged. lets see what some others think, i think its a vast improvement and seems much more cozy and inviting than before.
    ...See More
  • teacats
    15 years ago

First I would push the TV slightly left to center it more on the stand. (just so the right-hand-edges of the TV and the stand meet .....)

Can the wood stand sit on the left-hand side of the fireplace (gorgeous BTW!) opening (on the hearth) just for the summer? And simply move the bucket to the right-hand side .....

As for the wall -- I would create a family gallery with black-and-white photos (mat alike and frame alike BUT different sizes) with some of the larger photos leaning on black wall shelves .....

Center the lovely clock on the mantel -- and add a pair of wood candlesticks (with tall white candles) on one side -- and your vase on the right-hand side .....

Love the picture of Rumford! He was a brillant engineer!

Jan

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Well my first suggestion you won't like, but I would center the tv on the stand and I would not put flowers on the tv stand. I would save the stand for tv and other electronics. If it were me, I would want the fireplace wall to be the focal point, not the tv wall. I understand that is the wall the tv needs to be on, but I would not necessarily draw attention to it.

I like teacats suggestion of prints on the tv wall. I would put something large on the wall on the other side of the fireplace. What goes on the short stone wall? I agree with moving the wood. I'd leave the mantle clock, but remove the other things. Add some candle holders (I think I'd go for something chunky.

tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good eye, teacats! I never noticed the TV was off kilter, I'll definitely slide it over. I also like the idea of b&w prints above it. Not sure about adding shelves since there are quite a few to the left in the book nook. And I don't want anymore black in the room, except in the area rug. lol.

Not sure about moving the wood though, I think with the TV scooted over it will look nicer. Can't put the bucket to the right because it takes up leg room when we sit on the bench, which we do quite often, even if there isn't a fire. DH sits there every morning drinking his coffee, hence the blanket, because the dust is still settling. The blanket will be removed when all is finished.

Tinam, all the electronics are sitting on the two shelves below the TV. I do see a pretty flower arrangement though next to the TV. Probably silk since it is near electronics.

As far as putting something bigger on the right side of the fp, as I said above, I'm going to put a sconce on each side of Rumford's picture. IMO, that will be plenty. It's a nice size picture but it's hard to tell in the photo.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Ah! Then try the black-and-white photos (some hanging and some leaning) on a few white shelves that would actually mimic the book nook ones ......

Just a thought!

Jan

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here are some example of photo display ideas from Pottery Barn -- just for ideas ......

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Just some example from Pottery Barn

• stolenidentity
    15 years ago

tv and stand need to be centered on that wall. no flowers next to the tv - that is not a display area. wood needs to move. black and white minimal art above the tv. the mantel wall should be minimal too, the clock and a couple other special items but nothing substantial. what is that thing hanging to the left of the window?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sasafras, why exactly is the left side of the TV not a display area? It's quite large and has plenty of room for something. I think it's a lovely spot for silk flowers in a nice container. It will also add more color to the room. And the tv stand IS centered. Don't forget there is a large hearth 2 inches from it so it may look off center due to the picture.

And where do you think we should move the wood, since we are using it, and it's sitting on the hearth? In front of the bench so no one can sit there?

TV stays except scooted over a bit, TV stand stays, and wood stays. The bucket I can move when it warms up.

And that "thing" you asked about are castle keys which have been in the family for ages.

I do agree about minimal art on the wall & I love the idea of all black and white pictures. I never thought of that. Much much better than a painting.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do want to add that in no way will the TV be a focal point, even with flowers next to it. The pictures don't do the FP justice because it's massive. It's a hand made cooking FP, we're the 3rd house in the state which has a Rumford. When you walk into the room, that's the first thing you notice.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

If you use the area to the left of the tv as a display area for a floral arrangement, make it a big one.

Like this:

• teacats
    15 years ago

How about black-and-white photos of the surrounding areas or landmarks?

((how about a photo of the Stegasaurus? LOL! JUst teasing! really! :))

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I'd hang the tv on the wall and leave the stand below it.

• Jane_the_Renovator
    15 years ago

When I see that wall, I think, "Wall hanging!"

Something really big that picks up your colors. I think anything smaller (like family pictures) is just going to get lost. Since you're going "Old World" and you have the castle keys, maybe a large tapestry?

Here is a link that might be useful: William Morris tapestries

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I think I'd move the keys over by the Count and try to enlarge that display, thematically.

I didn't see that the wood was on the hearth--at least in the photo, it looks like it's on the floor next to the TV stand, so my first thought was to move it closer to the fireplace opening, and center the TV on the stand, and the stand between the speakers.

And then maybe a tapestry over it? I don't quite understand what Old World style is, so I'm out of ideas.

The fireplace is great, and I'd like to see a big piece above the mantle, and no smaller stuff.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

Centering: I think what the poster meant, and what I first noticed, is that the TV stand might be centered on the entire wall, but it is not centered on the "visual" wall space. The TV itself is centered on that space in the picture. The space is bounded by the speakers, so the TV should be centered between the speakers, and then perhaps the stand should be centered under the TV. Or if you want the flower space, then skootch the stand under the TV, instead of skootching the TV over the stand. Maybe you could find a wood holder that would sit more horizontally on the hearth where the can(?) is now. What is in the can -- could it be put somewhere else? I like the idea of the wall hanging.

• debbimc
    15 years ago

Oakley: You said open to all suggestions ...You say you are going for Old World & IMO the tv stand looks very contemporary-the line & the color. I would put the tv on wall Maybe the wood would work better in a basket. IMO from the picture it doesn't look right. It seems you have got some honest suggestions but you have to live with it. good luck.

• suero
    15 years ago

Center the HDTV between the speakers and center the stand under the HDTV. If you could lower the speakers, it would look better. If you do this, I don't think you need anything else on that wall. As for the fireplace, move the logs over to the hearth.
    The ironing board doesn't really add anything to the decor :-)

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Suero, that looks MUCH better. I agree about lowering the speakers. The reason it looks like you need something else on that wall is because the speakers, as they are now, look like they're floating and aren't grounded with anything.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, the ironing board is in the room along with the fridge, micro-wave and dining room table. lol. The rest of the house is under major renovation.

The logs ARE on the hearth. The hearth goes at an angle right next to the TV. Here's another picture but it doesn't show the very end of the hearth on the left hand side. And there's also a vent next to the stand too.

The bucket holds ashes. Not getting rid of the TV stand or the wood stand. We like them both. When I say Old World, I don't mean that every single thing in the room has to be old world. I wouldn't describe it as rustic either, or country. It leans more to the old world feel than anything.

My dh would divorce me if I suggested moving the speakers. lol. I have no choice but to live with them. We have two more in the back of the room and he did a precise sound check just for HIM. lol. I just pretend they're not there. :)

I'm liking the tapestry idea too!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot to add, we looked high and low for the log stand, it holds the tools and has a shelf for firestarters (ignore the red basket, it's only there temporarily). We got the log stand before we built the hearth, and we designed it so the log stand would go at the end of the hearth. The left side of the hearth is identical to the right side, but you can't see it in the pictures.

When I scoot the TV over, I think the wood will look better.

Again, the TV stays on the stand. It's in THE perfect viewing position for the whole room.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Oakleyok, I'm loving your gorgeous fireplace! I need to go back and read all the ideas and explanations here before I make any suggestions. I totally understand husbands wanting their tvs and surround sound speakers placed when they work best, NOT where they necessarily look best, decorating-wise ;^P
    Mine feels the same way yours does. I did talk mine into letting me paint the speaker boxes with a paint that helps ours fade into the walls and ceiling a bit more, though. know that I can replace my dark speaker cloth with a light one to help them disappear even more. I'll have to look into that someday. But for the moment I'm like you and just ignore them!
    Lynn

• kaycee_ann
    15 years ago

I like suero's mockup. I also agree with the advice that you not use the TV stand as a display area. With the TV centered on the stand, they look more like one unit. A floral arrangement would be crowded.

• stolenidentity
    15 years ago

Yes, suero did a fantastic job putting it in perspective. And for my eye, flowers on that tv stand would just not add anything to the decor and would be a big distraction for watching the tv anyway. Not to mention what a dust collector silk blooms are, and you've got an expensive electronic device that loves to collect dust! Those keys are awesome, I'd find a place to SHOW them off!!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynne, I nearly croaked when he had the stands made for the speakers and the holes made for the cords. I didn't have the heart to say anthing to him. lol. I don't want my home to be like BH&G, so I can live with it.

kaycee, I'm still not understanding how it would be crowded to put a floral arrangement next to the TV. There's a great deal of space to the left of it. I know the TV needs to be scooted a few inches, but I do like the look of it not centered on the stand which gives me space to put an arrangement or houseplant. IMO, it will be balanced once an arrangement is there.

Some of the stuff on the hearth will be tweaked once the floors are laid and we no longer use the FP. And like I said, the wood holder is on the hearth, there's really no other place for it. I kind of like it there. :)

I think Count Rumford will stand alone with the two sconces. He's part of the family now. lol

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Suero - great job in showing how much better the tv and stand looks centered. I agree, with how you've shown, you really wouldn't need anything else on that wall.

Something else you might do is remove the ash bucket and put the wood stand in it's place. We now have a gas fireplace, but when we had a woodburning one, the ash container stayed outside. Hubby brought it in when he cleaned the ashes out of then it went back out to the garage. We had a stone wall (much like yours) in that house also, but when we built this one, we didn't repeat that.

tina

• rdquilter
    15 years ago

I might be wrong but I don't think Suero's arrangement is possible. If you look carefully at the very first picture, I think the back of the tv stand is already touching the back corner of the hearth. So it can't be moved that direction can it?

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Just want to say I like your room, Oakley! The fireplace is great, & I really like the wall color. It has a comfy, cozy appeal that is very nice!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Stinky! Yes, it's very cozy. I guess that's really my style. lol. I love to close the blinds in the daytime and make it dark in there with a fire going.

Rd, you're right, the stand can't move to the right because of the hearth.

Tina, as I said earlier (I think) my hearth isn't decorated right now, I was only asking for advice on the mantel and wall above the TV. The bucket is sat there because we've been using it a great deal. I doubt I sit it outside come summer because it's a nice iron bucket and I don't want it to rust. I'll find a different area around the FP for it when the time comes, but hide it? Nah, it's part of the FP. :)

• suero
    15 years ago

Oakleyok,

Could you post a floor plan with dimensions? If you can't move the stand, then I think it would be best to hang the HDTV on the wall -- at the same level it is now -- and put the electronic impedimenta in a stand somewhere else. The amazing thing about electronics is that they can be located elsewhere and still control the HDTV. They do it by wires. You can have them located in another room, even, and just have a little remote control device in this room that will send the signal to the equipment.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can see putting the TV on the wall at the same level, but why? Why should I get rid of the stand? We like it! As I said earlier, it's made of wood with glass shelves and is very pretty in person & cost a small fortune. Plus, we need the blu-ray close to us to insert cd's/dvd's. The pictures don't do it justice at all. And I just finished putting a deep red Coleus in a bright yellow ceramic pot there! lol

The room is somewhere around 35' L x 20' W, not including the book nook and entry way.

Trust me, the TV doesn't take away from the overall appeal of the room. The FP is the focal point, you can't miss it. :)

It's a very elaborate set-up, (with a large box to protect any electrical surges, which has to be near the tv and the plug) and if my dh came home and saw I moved his stuff, he'd be very upset and I wouldn't blame him one bit. lol

• suero
    15 years ago

Maybe IRL the stand doesn't look awkward off center as it comes across in the photo. I know how spouses feel about their e-toys. I have one myself who has very definite ideas about e-furniture.
    If you like the way it looks, then by all means, do what you want. You're the one who has to look at it.
    I will say that I don't think the wall with the HDTV needs anything above the set. That's the focal point on that wall. The fireplace, of course, is the star attraction in the room, and frankly, with a fire going, who cares what's on the mantle.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I think you're missing the point about hanging the tv on the wall. Nobody has said to get rid of the tv stand. Keep it there and hang the tv on the wall above it just a bit above the stand.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

How about a large black clock? (from Home Decorators.com - 30" diameter

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, 3d, you just gave me an idea. What about a large, round/oval brass decorative...tray/plate? Not necessarily brass, but something similar.

K9, I can't hang it on the wall because of the bead board, it would raise it significantly if I did that.

Okay, what about a table runner on the stand, with the TV on top? I can tell you right now the TV isn't going anywhere, because of dh. :) I honestly don't mind it there, give and take, that's my motto to a happy marriage. It's his home too. And now that our sons gave him Netflix for his bday..well, you get my drift. lol

I'm kind of keen on a table runner though, but I have one on the coffee table since it's 4' long. Would that be over kill?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I remember asking my dh when he set the tv up why it was on the end of the table and I had forgotten his answer. I asked him when he got home, and he said it was to center it between the speakers! lol. Bless his heart, it was in the right place. But he said he'd move it to line up with the table.

• roobear
    15 years ago

I know, I know, your not moving the TV but I was curious about moving it above the fireplace so your focal point doesn't have to compete with the TV. When you have such a large black object in the room it does add weight to the wall and bring your eye more towards the tv than the fireplace. Speakers could be centered on either side of the fireplace and still keep your black stand to hold media and flowers. I'm just playing in photoshop. . .

{{!gwi}}

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Wow, that clock looks amazing...just fantastic! It fills in the space perfectly. The over-sized clock is really a hot accessory right now, but I think they look timeless (no pun intended!) Good job Threedgrad!

Also, a clock over the tv seems like it may be a cleaner, less distracting element than a piece of artwork. If I had a great painting there I might feel confused about where to look...painting, tv, painting, tv...too distracting. A clock might feel less obtrusive in a way.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Love Roobear's tv placement! Very nice. Would still like Threed's clock on the other wall! I'd then move the tv stand out of the room & put another cushy, comfy chair (leather recliner?) angled toward the tv. What guy wouldn't love that scenario? Just add a small table right next to the recliner to accomodate a bowl of chips & beverage.

• cbm4style
    15 years ago

Wow, it is great that so many of you have so many ideas. And the photo shop thing is fascinating. Even though you didn't ask about the TV, I do think a large arrangement would look very cool.

Your fireplace and mantle and hearth are to die for!! You'll have to post again when it is "done". I like the idea of the black and white. But I'm also a huge Maxwell Parrish fan. Could you put two smaller prints on either side of the one that you have? Really, your colors are so nice and the fireplace so big....maybe you don't have to do anything for awhile.

• hockeymom4
    15 years ago

First let me say I love your room and your beautiful fireplace. I wouldn't mind having your decorating challenge.

I think the reason so many want to move the tv, the stand, and the wood stand is that everything is centered at a different point on the wall. The stand has one center, the speakers have another, and the ceiling peak has another. All the different centers make it difficult to make any artwork on that wall look as if it fits the space. The clock in three grad's photo looks good because it is centered over the tv and stand and between the speakers. But if the stand can't be moved over there I don't know if it would look as good.

All that being said, it is still a lovely room.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Was the stand centered on the ceiling peak above? I would center everything upon that ceiling peak - tv stand, tv, clock, speakers if possible.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, CB! I'm still sold on a floral arrangement next to the TV, and maybe a solid color table runner.

Roobear, thanks for the help but with the tv above the big fireplace, it looks like two black holes! lol. Also, having such a high technological piece above an 18th century FP defeats the purpose. No offense to anyone, but I don't like TV's above the FP. IMO, a FP should stand alone, except for regular decorating on top of it.

No large clocks. They're too trendy. I also have a nice grandmother clock on the mantel which has beautiful
    westminster chimes.

Hockeymom, I agree. The good thing is the room is sooo big the tv isn't even a focal point. It comes across as one in pictures, but it's not IRL.

Maybe in a few years when the newness wears off of the stand, I'll get a nice piece of furniture for the TV..which is what I wanted in the first place..but oh well, dh was so proud of his purchase, I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't my cup of tea, but I've learned to live with it so it doesn't bother me anymore. I also remember he drove all over the city in his suit on a very hot summer afternoon shopping for TV's and stands. Men and their toys. :)

When we're finished using the FP, I'll piddle around with the bucket and wood stand. Now dh has his chess board sitting behind the bucket! It's nice, but I may move it some & see if he notices. ;)

• roobear
    15 years ago

I like the clock but once again your adding height to that wall competing even more with the fireplace. Black is a strong, heavy presence in any room and so much of it on that wall seems to overpower the fireplace.

Weight wise you need things that are light that would help move your eye towards the fireplace and around the room- With the tv and the stand there it gives no movement toward the right to the fireplace.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm not good at this arrange stuff on the walls thing. I have quite a few things now that I like and am trying to figure out where to put them! BUT I did want to say you have a really nice room and a beautiful fireplace!

I think I could see a tablerunner on the tv stand.

And do keep those keys! Those are one of the items I have that I'm trying to find a place for! :)