SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

Can you train a cat to stop yowling?

quasifish
16 years ago

She is making the house miserable. She starts this in the morning and often wakes the toddler, who then has a lousy day because she's tired, and the whole household is miserable. This cat will even go seek out the crib and yowl next to it, as if she wants to wake the baby. She is the kind of cat that craves attention- yowling by the crib is a sure way to get it and I think she's learned that.

She is hyperthyroid, but is controlled with meds. She also has kidney disease, but that is also well controlled. She has always had an intense personality and seeks out attention, but it has gotten much worse lately. She goes to the vet tomorrow for a routine evaluation, but if everything looks well controlled from a health standpoint, how do I deal with the yowling? She is honestly driving me nuts at this point. I think we have encouraged the behavior by trying to feed her, or letting her outside, or picking her up- all positive attention- in our efforts to keep her quiet (and let the baby sleep). I'm not sure how to go about breaking the habit that we apparently helped start.

Any ideas before we all go insane?

Comments (7)