SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Oh no! 1st big curve ball in house. Help!

chloenkitty
10 years ago

So after posting here and a stressful decision on what exterior color to have the house done in, we were thrown a curve ball. We chose sable brown from certainteed vinyl shake for front and siding from sides. Never thought I'd want a brown house, but it's a taupe brown, and really seems to go well with the home style on our heavily pine tree wooded lot. I think the fact that it's the color of the home in our plans, helped our decision too. Well, the builder decides to tell us last night, after knowing this was the color we were going with, that the darker colors are much more expensive! Ugh! I know we are going to go over budget with a lot of things, so I don't want one more!

I really do like a tan color or gray colored house, but I just don't want the same as everybody else in the neighborhood. As we all know, those two colors along with white, are usually the most popular colors for a home. This was a hard decision picking the color because the home is rustic yet contemporary. If you were me, would you go towards the beiges or the grays? If going with a beige or gray, I know I don't want something too light or too dark. If you go to Certainteed online and look at their vinyl shake, I think I like savanna wicker the best. The sable brown was our original choice.

The one thing that would be easier if we chose beige or gray, would be selecting the doors. I do like a richer tone wood and didn't think I could do that with the sable brown. I don't like the wood color pictured in the plan photo attached here of our house. With a beige or gray, I could def do a dark stain.

I would appreciate anyone's help as this really has me upset thank you.

Comments (82)